Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Eyesight insights?  (Read 11880 times)

John R Smith

• Still crazy, after all these years
Re: Eyesight insights?
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2012, 05:42:53 am »

Not that I can contribute anything useful (other than to say that at 65 I have a lot of the same problems and use two pairs of glasses rather than varifocals). But isn't this Forum such a brilliant place? Here I am browsing this morning and I stumble across this thread, which is just so interesting, informative and useful.

And civil. Thank you all.

John
Hasselblad 500 C/M, SWC and CFV-39 DB
an

Dewi Sant

• Dewi Sant Photography
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2012, 07:41:02 pm »

Couldn't agree more. John. I've learned a few things myself reading through all the posts... Can't wait for my new lens implants to be fitted  Alas, I'll most probably be worm food by the time that particular technology is available  :D

Dewi

allegretto

« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2012, 12:43:19 pm »

Ok, time for some reality;

You guys know a lot more about pixels, noise and EV/ISO's (but I'm learning right here so thanks).

I am an eye surgeon who deals with this all the time so I will try to address most issues

The first sign of presbyopia is the loss of clarity when going from NEAR to FAR. Thus as someone noted earlier, they must look away from the finder and re-focus at distance to get "clear". While the effect is near universal, many don't do enough true near work (18" or less) to notice this earliest sign, but it is very reproducible in folks in their early forties. As folks approach their mid forties the near itself begins to be effected. This is normally attributed to the lens (not the cornea) stiffening, but it's just not that simple. If you actually remove lenses of folks that age you quickly realize that they are of differing rigidity depending upon the specimen. A more attractive model suggests simple crowding of the structures not allowing the muscles to pull as strongly (the lens grows throughout life). Anyone who lifts weights knows that a fully extended muscle can exert more power than a partially contracted one, has to do with molecular binding sites exposed, but unless you really want to get granular we'll stop there.

Note to all myopes; yes I know you take off your glasses to see up close, but these comments refer to everyone when corrected for distance whether by nature or man.

The effect is progressive as we age. Since the image in the optical viewfinder is actually a projection onto a mirror it is indeed a distance image, but unless you are old the correction necessary for near will only blur the image slightly. And has been noted things such as contrast sensitivity and secondary aberrations blur as well. An EVF is as looking at a TV and thus could be near, but I would suspect that manufacturers use correction to make it appear as a distance one, though I am not sure

As far as surgery, if you never wore glasses but it hit you in your 40-50 range it can be easily corrected with lasik. These are among my very happiest patients. As noted lens implant surgery can work well too but I do not recommend it for photographers since it will render you in focus at one point. Multifocal lenses are available but the decrement in distance is not tolerated by critical viewers in most cases. No one can make old eyes see as a young man however, time and gravity are cruel forces. We can make you better, but as yet cannot improve on Nature.

lowep

• http://sites.google.com/site/peterlowefoto/
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2012, 01:24:10 pm »

thanks allegreto, this is very informative.

taking your expert analysis one step further - what apart from eye surgery (prestissimo?) would you do?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 01:27:35 pm by lowep »

allegretto

« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2012, 06:37:25 pm »

thanks allegreto, this is very informative.

taking your expert analysis one step further - what apart from eye surgery (prestissimo?) would you do?

after reviewing your thread posts I think you need both the dioptric correction in your viewfinder and magnification.

I have two cameras, an M9 and an A77. In the M9 I routinely use a mag (1.25 for anything over 28mm and 1.4 for my 90mm) and I use the mag and peaking peaking for the A77 when possible, if not I just hope the AF got it right.

What camera do you use, and I can give you some suggestions? If you don't have either option that I use, I would suggest you use a contact lens in your shooting eye since this eliminates the eyeglass relief problem inherent in any viewfinder. The link posted makes sense of course and it is handy that manufacturers use a 3' viewing distance since this stakes but 1D of correction.

lowep

« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2012, 06:48:24 pm »

what camera do you use?

Contax 645 that fortunately has a decent diopter.

Understand what your suggestion about diopter but not about magnification?

Seems like many like me also use the squint > autofocus > hope for the best approach

Best solution I have found so far is eyeglasses with no camera - but that doesn't help with focussing :-)

allegretto

« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2012, 07:03:07 pm »

yes, I meant that I use the on-board magnification of the A 77 (goes to about 11X) when I manually focus. You also mentioned a mag loupe in one of your posts I believe (unless I'm confusing you with someone else).

The M9 has little mag lenses you screw on to the viewer.

As I noted I much prefer a contact lens to glasses if I needed it. I can never get used to bumping my glasses against the camera, feels uncomfortable to me.

lowep

« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2012, 06:08:33 am »

Hmmm... anybody tried using an add on gizmo like this brightscreen ACCURFOCUS™ critical focusing magnifier that looks :-) interesting

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2012, 01:36:26 am »

Hi,

Both optical and electronic viewfinders project the image into an imagenary plane in front of the eye. You would not see much of a difference. EVF can usually enlarge live view to actual pixels and that capability is very usable.

Best regards
Erik

Like most people my age I use reading glasses and also am becoming a little near sighted so for some mysterious reason cannot see details at a distance as well as I used to thirty years ago. But still prefer not to use eyeglasses when photographing. I can avoid the reading glasses by adjusting the diopter that is a standard feature on most cameras. But this does not help when it comes to viewing details at a distance. Would an EVF with a diopter do both?  ;)
Erik Kaffehr

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up