Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rose banner  (Read 1309 times)

michael ellis

Rose banner
« on: December 30, 2011, 03:33:59 pm »

Here is another black and white negative I have scanned and I have a few questions I would like to pose to the forum readers.  I am posting the scan as well as the version I have been working on.

Do you think the perspective corrections help or hinder?

Have I gone too far in adding contrast to the banner?

Please don't confine yourself to those topics only if you have some further criticism to offer.

I have been working with digital for only a few years and find it difficult sometimes to NOT make use of all the great tools available but just because you can do something doesn't necessarily mean you should!

Thanks for taking a look.

Michael

degrub

Re: Rose banner
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2011, 03:46:17 pm »

It is a very difficult image for me, the viewer. Not simple, but complex geometries. The lightness of the background pulls my eye away from the banner. i think this would be more effective as a color image - or at least the banner in color - to pull my eye in. Otherwise i just wander all over the picture. To be honest the first thing i saw was the light string on the escalators.

Frank

michael ellis

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2011, 03:58:04 pm »

Hi Frank-

Thanks for the input. I shot this many years ago and have some tunnel vision regarding this image. I appreciate your comments about the busy composition. Your suggestion to add color is one I hadn't thought of. I think adding color to the banner may be very interesting. I wish I could remember what colors were in it.
It will take me a while to make a color version but I will post it here when I get it done.

Any thoughts on the perspective correction?

Thanks again for taking the time to comment.

Michael
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 06:02:44 pm by michael ellis »

degrub

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2011, 05:52:02 pm »

Yes, perspective correction is necessary.

Frank

michael ellis

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2012, 09:52:26 am »

Hi again-

I finally colorized this photo a bit. The addition of color really draws the eye. I had a lot of trouble deciding what to do with the color once it was introduced. It is a very strong attractant! I ended up going for a somewhat subdued color since I was leaving everything else monochrome. I find it hard to "see" the rest of the picture with such a strong element in it.

Do you think that the titling may have something to do with your initial impression? I wondered if I called it " Galleria atrium" instead of "rose banner" if maybe the viewer wouldn't have the same expectations and perhaps feel less "mislead"?

I appreciate your taking a look and offering your opinion. It definitely made me look at this pic in a "different" light.

Sincerely,

Michael
Pages: [1]   Go Up