Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Newbie submission for critique  (Read 1653 times)

jww_40

Newbie submission for critique
« on: December 30, 2011, 12:50:26 pm »

Good morning All! and Happy New Year!
I asked about landscape photography in the beginners forum and got a lot of great replies. Funny thing... It creates more questions.  ;)
Ansel Adams photographs of Yosemite are breathtakingly beautiful, dramatic, and really don't need any explaining to be just that. Is this a "necessary" quality?
The photo I'm submitting needs an explanation, I think. Or does it?  :)
It was taken at Prudhoe Bay, Alaska (where I work) while on my way across the field for a training class and the sunrise was too good to pass up. In the background is the Lisburne Production Center.
Let me know what you think.
Thanks,
John

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
Re: Newbie submission for critique
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2011, 02:08:27 pm »

I think it's a really, really fine landscape, John. Bravo!
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

jww_40

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2011, 07:17:26 pm »

Russ,
Thanks!
 This was one that was passed by... I don't know why. :) Seems that my idea of a good photo changes with time.
B.T.W., Great web page! Very nice photos.
Thanks,
John

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2012, 10:04:27 am »

Hi John,

Your question about explanations for photographs is certainly one that some of us are at odds about. Although this is, perhaps, an oversimplification, there seems to be two schools of thought:

• Many photographers add a title to their work that helps to explain it. Sometimes it's "cutsey" other times it is meant to evoke a certain emotion that may or may not be present in the photograph.
  • Other photographers believe the work should stand on its own merit without explanation. "If it needs explaining, then it wasn't executed well enough" or "People can see into the photograph what they wish to see" are two common points of view to support this second school of thought.[/li
From what I understand of Ansel Adams, he was positively against the cutsey/evocative title for explanation. His titles were very plain and for identification purposes only (e.g. El Capitan, Winter; Leaf, Glacier bay National Monument). Some photographers in this camp go as far as using no titles or perhaps just numbers or dates to identify the work.

From a marketing perspective, I am in the first camp. From an artistic perspective, I'm in the second. In other words, it seems the general public is drawn more to an evocative title, hence the many photo posters that proclaim in bold letters the emotion one should feel. The more open-minded purchasers of art seem to be content with buying the work for what it is, so a plain title is acceptable.

I often "battle" with myself about whether to include a location with each photograph. Many people like to identify a photo with a place, especially when I'm selling local landscapes. But with evocative photos made, for example in Europe, but which could be in someone's own backyard in Canada, I leave the location off so that people are not limited in their thinking by that location (does this make sense?). The attached file is a case in point: "Golden Summer Morning, Bavaria". While I shot it in Bavaria, but it could be anywhere. If I am selling it here in Canada, I leave off the "Bavaria"; but if I was to sell it in Bavaria, I would leave the location in. One could ask if I should even include the word "Golden" as that may be construed as imbuing an emotional response that others may not share.

Some day, I would like to do a study or read of a study that pits a photo with an evocative title against the same photo with a simple identifier like AA used. I often wonder if a cutsey/evocative title would sell more copies, but at a lower price point than the same work with a more austere title like Adams used.

BTW - nice photo. It does't need an explanation - it is what it is. But for the others in your community, they might like an explanation (or at least a location) as it is something that they can then relate to; e.g. "What a beautiful place we live and work in!"
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 10:11:12 am by luxborealis »
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

jww_40

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2012, 08:57:39 pm »

Terry,
Thanks for the reply!
 It's funny, but I think you're right. I'd probably pay more for, and think that it's a more "serious" photograph, if it had an "AA" title. Go figure...
As far as my photographs conveying emotion or meaning to others... Well, maybe, being special to me is good enough for now...
Your attached photograph is beautiful. It's also interesting not only for the content, but what you left out. I would have never thought cropping the tops of trees would work, but it does.  :) I imagine you stopped for a breakfast break in your 356C Cabriolet (Dark Forest Green w/ buckskin interior, of course  :D) and both it and the beautiful blonde with the wicker basket are off camera.  ;D
Thanks,
John

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2012, 09:55:32 pm »

What?! Were you there spying on me?  ;D
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

jww_40

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2012, 10:49:05 pm »

LOL!
Don't you remember? I was the guy on the other side of the road under the hood of a rusty orange 2002 with MY significant other yelling at me to hurry up and get that piece of junk running... Kin of a Yin Yang thing  ;D
John

EduPerez

• Edu Pérez
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2012, 02:37:54 am »

I saw the thumbnail, and I liked it; so I opened the full version, and I liked it even more; then I read the text. I usually say that if an image needs explanation, then I am no longer interested. This is not the case, I liked the image as is, and I do not think it needs any explanation at all.
Pages: [1]   Go Up