Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pock marks on canvas after spraying  (Read 1537 times)

photodave

Pock marks on canvas after spraying
« on: December 28, 2011, 12:18:41 pm »

Hello

I have been spraying canvas pretty much this entire year and have had great success in doing so, until recently.  The last few canvas that I have sprayed I have noticed that their are these pock marks or markings on the canvas that look like the surface of the moon.  Can anyone explain to me what is going on?  And how to fix the problem.

Thanks

David

fetish

Re: Pock marks on canvas after spraying
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2011, 03:01:01 pm »

sounds like bubbles.

try quicker strokes and lesser flow.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2011, 03:10:46 pm »

Also, what canvas brand, and what coating? 

With Timeless I have found that it's best to let the print stand 24 hours after printing.  If you coat it any sooner, you will sometimes see the bubbles which I assume are from trapped air but not really sure. 

As mentioned previously many times it's the amount of coating you have laid down also.  I use the Wagner Control Spray Plus ( a larger unit than the normal control spray and takes the compressor off hand held part) with Timeless glossy straight no mix or water to thin.  For me I try to get a nice fan from the gun where the widest part of the fan will be about 8 to 10 inches across, this is the area hitting the print.  Then I will hold the unit 10 to 12 inches from the surface of the print. 

Paul Caldwell
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

photodave

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2011, 10:09:42 pm »

I am using Glamour II and printing on Lexjet Sunset Select Matte Canvas.

David

Ray Cox

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2011, 10:52:33 pm »

I have been using that combination (Wagner Control Spray Plus, Glamour II, and Lexjet Sunset Matte) for the last year. I have had no problems at all with this combination. What you describe is what I would see when painting in an auto body shop. We called it "fish eye".  The biggest cause was airborne silicates that had been used in other areas of the building drifting in the air.

Is the area you are using to spray in free of products such as "Endust, "Armor All", etc?

These will cause a reaction similar to water on oil.  That's my fist thought, could be wrong.

Thanks, Ray

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2011, 11:06:41 pm »

I spray oceans of Glamour II onto SSMC and have never had that problem...except once!  My wife sprayed some solvent fixative onto one of her pastel drawings over in the corner of the "booth" just before I sprayed a panel full of canvases.  Bingo!  Bubbles and craters.  OK, Ray's post just popped up and I guess that corroborates.  There were probably had tiny fixative drops on the canvas.

Might also be a good idea to check the gun for air leaks, loose fittings, etc and also the can seal.

BTW I can't for the life of me seem to spray heavy coats of Timeless without getting bubbles and pock marks, but have no trouble with Glamour II.

Ray Cox

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2011, 11:18:24 pm »

Yep! It can sneak in from almost anywhere. Especially this time of the year if the area has a forced air heating system.

Hope this is the answer to his problem. Otherwise a great system for producing canvas prints.

Thanks, Ray
Pages: [1]   Go Up