Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: lightroom import problem-easy way to make layered file previews compatible?  (Read 1534 times)

michael ellis

I have just started using lightroom and found, when importing my files, that over 200 were incompatible due to not having maximize compatibility checked in photoshop prefs. How do I easily update these files so I can import them? It seems that a simple open and close or open, save and close will not do it. I have tried a "save as" and change the file name. This works but it is time consuming. If I update the cache from Bridge will this then update the previews so lightroom can import them?

One more question: can lightroom read files in the cieLAB color space?

Thanks,

Michael

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/

You’ll have to resave them of course, using the max option in your General Preferences (File Handling). You can retain the same name, but you may want to save them to another location and then move them and write over the older files. You can build a batch within Photoshop to do this (make an action first of course).

LR can read Lab encoded data in the catalog. If you edit the data in Develop, you’ll not be working in Lab (the data will be converted to RGB for the work). IOW, what comes out of LR from the Edit is some RGB flavor of the data.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

michael ellis

Hi Andrew-

Thank you for your prompt attention to my Lightroom problem. I have written an action that opens the file, keeps the same file name but saves to a new location. This provides the previews LR needs. I will still have to reorganize files after, but, I seem to be doing a lot of that since I started using LR anyway. The action works and is quicker than doing it completely manually. It still leaves a fair amount of work to integrate my whole catalog into lightroom. I should have maximized compatibility from the beginning. I am still having to use Bridge a fair amount due to my unfamiliarity with lightroom. I like the new CR engine (I haven't upgraded Photoshop yet from CS4) and have been trying out the print module with high hopes and expectations.

Thanks again for your help.

Sincerely,

Michael
Pages: [1]   Go Up