Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Three Modern Lenses For M9  (Read 5907 times)

DaveCurtis

• http://www.magiclight.co.nz
Re: Three Modern Lenses For M9
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2012, 03:30:42 pm »

If I owned the M9, the 50mm lux would be first on my list. Some say the best 50mm ever.

eleanorbrown

• Eleanor Brown Photography
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2012, 03:49:18 pm »

I'll second what Dave said.  I have 4 asph lenses but if I had to choose only one it would be my 50 lux. Eleanor

If I owned the M9, the 50mm lux would be first on my list. Some say the best 50mm ever.
Eleanor Brown
[url=http://www.eleanorbro

Rob C

« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2012, 03:51:21 pm »

Missed this post before; +1

Nothing else matters.

Especially Scottish Mist - in any bottle!

I used to enjoy Jack Daniel's (is the apostrophe right?) on a single cube of ice in a beautiful Scottish crystal glass... how life changes: no reason for the crystal and even less for the Jack since the cardio banned it completely along with most everything else.

Not said in any 'funny' sense either, but was a time in the late 70s and the 80s when we used to be pretty frequent flyers betwen the UK and Spain - my wife and I would take along two crystal glasses and our own food for the flight, buy a couple of those tiny bottles of wine from the stewardess, and enjoy the damned flight. Bloody terrorists blew all that off the possibilities list, as did the sudden departure of reasons to fly. It's nice being flash sometimes, particularly when you might never come down again safely. Way to go.

Rob C

mediumcool

« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2012, 04:04:51 pm »

Especially Scottish Mist - in any bottle!

I used to enjoy Jack Daniel's (is the apostrophe right?) on a single cube of ice in a beautiful Scottish crystal glass... how life changes: no reason for the crystal and even less for the Jack since the cardio banned it completely along with most everything else.

Rob C

I’m coming up for the big 60 in a few months, and get nagged by health *professionals* every so often about my liver function number (which is not too bad considering) whilst I pursue my hobby of drinking as much wine as I can afford! Used to also drink (in rough order) scotch, bourbon/rye, brandy, tequila, and now rum. I buy a bottle of Mt Gay once or twice a year, and it lasts a week to 10 days.

It is Jack Daniel’s because the founder was Jack Daniel. Happy new year.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 08:13:06 pm by mediumcool »
FaceBook facebook.com/ian.goss.39   www.mlkshk.com/user/mediumcool

allegretto

« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2012, 08:08:03 pm »

Have a 28, 35, 50 and 90... all -chrons

Could live best without the 35, but that's me. Can crop a 28 and of course can use a 50 nearly everywhere a 35 can be used. One nice thing about Leica images is that the clarity and color stand up well to cropping.

EinstStein

« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2012, 02:36:24 am »

Not sure why my post invited such far more philosophers than the photographers.
I didn't expect my question to inspire so much philosophical discussions.
I enjoy it, go on ... 

Again, any more comments or experiences to share on 28mm vs. 35mm, particularly the version of F2, ASPH?

Rob C

« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2012, 03:24:26 am »

Not sure why my post invited such far more philosophers than the photographers.
I didn't expect my question to inspire so much philosophical discussions.
I enjoy it, go on ... 

Partly, I suppose that's because an M9 forms part of a common dream... For many of us, at least, it's as close as we're gonna get!

Rob C

Richard Morwood

« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2012, 10:58:35 am »

Again, any more comments or experiences to share on 28mm vs. 35mm, particularly the version of F2, ASPH?
Until I bought an M9 a 35mm lens was not one I would ever have used, nor desired. But I find the 35 f2 ASPH to be one of the most used of the 5 I have. The 24 is too specific/woide and not at all general purpose enough for me, but great results though. The 50 lux is a recent purchase and I haven't fully got to grips with it (again an alien focal length for me) but so far it has lived up to all of its hype.
The 75 cron I have just let go - stunning results but hated the frame lines and needed/wanted to finance other lenses, and the 90 cron is superb. Yes difficult to focus a first but never fails to disappoint. I haven't had any experience with the 28 but am sorely tempted to try sooner rather than later. It's reputation certainly precedes it. Sounds wide but then I thought 35 would be far too wide.
As many people have said previously there will be only one lens on your camera at any one time and I certainly find myself changing lenses less frequently even when they are in my bag. Very often I will carry fewer, if any, and just "make do" with what I have on the body. Very simple and satisfying way to take photos. Having come from Nikons and zooms it is another world and one I am loving.
Regards
Richard

EinstStein

« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2012, 10:54:31 pm »

I had 24mm/50mm/85mm/180mm for SLR. For Leica M, I plan to replace 24mm with 28mm because I don't want the external finder, 90mm is the natural equivalent for the the 85mm, and anything beyond 135mm is not practical. I figured I could live with 35mm/f2 + 90mm/f2, but I'm so attempted to the 50mm. With 50mm, 35mm seems too close, so I'm planning the 28/50/90 set.

35/f2+90/f2 or 28/f2+50/f2+90/f2? Can't make up my mind.     
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up