Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Three Modern Lenses For M9  (Read 5906 times)

EinstStein

Three Modern Lenses For M9
« on: December 27, 2011, 02:51:07 am »

If you can choose three lenses for M9, what would they be?
90mm/f2, 50mm/f2, and 28mm/f2 come to my mind, but I'm not sure whether 35mm/2 is the better choice than 28mm/f2.

Rob C

Re: Three Modern Lenses For M9
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2011, 06:28:56 am »

If you can choose three lenses for M9, what would they be?
90mm/f2, 50mm/f2, and 28mm/f2 come to my mind, but I'm not sure whether 35mm/2 is the better choice than 28mm/f2.

Kinda depends on what you'd like to do with the thing. There's nothing cast in stone except even more stone.

Rob C

David Watson

• David Watson
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2011, 08:31:24 am »

I have an M9 kit which consists of a 35mm f2, 50mm f2 and 75mm f2.8.  Wider lenses really need a separate viewfinder and longer lenses are very difficult to focus accurately.

Lloyd Chambers and Sean Reid are the online authorities on the M9 and both have extensively tested a huge variety of lenses.  Lloyd's website is http://www.diglloyd.com/ but you will have to subscribe to get access to the detail on Leica.  My lens choices were made after carefully reading Lloyds reviews.  I started with the 35, then the 75 and finally the 50.  All 6 bit coded latest lenses.  There is a huge premium for the 1.4 lenses which I could not justify as I rarely use any of these lenses wide open.

David Watson ARPS

theguywitha645d

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2011, 11:19:21 am »

I would first base it on the focal lengths I like to shoot with. I would get those.

JohnBrew

• http://www.johnbrewton.zenfolio.com
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2011, 11:28:26 am »

I've used everything from a 15 to a 135 on film and digital M's. IMO you can't wrong with a good ol' 50 Summicron (F2) either new or used.

JeanMichel

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2011, 04:30:47 pm »

Kinda depends on what you'd like to do with the thing. There's nothing cast in stone except even more stone.

Rob C

I agree completely with Rob. Get the lens that you will use most often.
And, I find that the Leica M's are fairly monogamous individuals. With my film M's I rarely attached a different lens to a body. With my new M9 I mostly photograph with a 35 Summicron (with goggles); I do carry a 21 VC, 50 Summicron; and a 135 Elmarit kept for occasional use.
Jean-Michel

mediumcool

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2011, 03:23:32 am »

Rob C

+1   ;D
FaceBook facebook.com/ian.goss.39   www.mlkshk.com/user/mediumcool

nightfire

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2011, 12:27:32 pm »

I'd get a 50/2 in any case. You can't go wrong with the 35/2 as a second lens, although I find that focal length a bit boring. I'd recommend 24mm instead, which allows for a more "radical" perspective. Apart from that, I not really sure if a third lens is absolutely necessary (although personally, I somehow ended up with four  ::)  ;D)

Erick Boileau

• http://
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2011, 05:13:22 am »

I have an M9 kit which consists of a 35mm f2, 50mm f2 and 75mm f2.8.  Wider lenses really need a separate viewfinder and longer lenses are very difficult to focus accurately.
no needs of separate  viewfinder for the 28mm

EinstStein

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2011, 11:05:44 am »

I visited http://www.diglloyd.com/. His pictures are so so. His recommendation on the "Must Have" lenses are nonsense. 50mm/0.95 must to have? It's a nice lens, so is any Leica M ASPH, but put it in must have is clearly a mis-judge. 

AlfSollund

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2011, 02:22:00 pm »

Hi,

I would choose the new 21mm (or a wider) + 50/2, and if budget allows the new 35/1,4.

-------
- If your're not telling a story with photo you're only adding noise -
http://alfsollund.com/

Rob C

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2011, 03:32:08 pm »

Hi,

I would choose the new 21mm (or a wider) + 50/2, and if budget allows the new 35/1,4.

Jeanloup Sieff used a 21mm with his M (film) for a lot of work in his day...

I have a 24mm for my Nikon (FF) and I find it a bit too wide for general use, and not really wide enough for exaggerated looks... I really should get myself another 35mm Nikkor again, but this thing never ends. I'll wait.

Rob C

Brian Hirschfeld

• Brian Hirschfeld Photography
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2011, 06:31:55 pm »

I know this is a very "Leica Elitist" comment, but you do know if you only have one Leica you can only put one lens on it at a time...I own multiple Leica M lenses, and most people do, but its important to remember your only using one at a time. And any time you are actually using them, your not going to be carrying all of them, and thinking about which focal length would be best for this situation.....with Leica its typically more spontaneities and in the moment (sometimes its decisive) so just pick one focal length you like, and run with it.
www.brianhirschfeldphotography.com / www.flickr.com/brianhirschfeldphotography
---------------------------------------------------------------
Leica / Nikon / Hasselblad / Mamiya ~ Proud IQ180 owner

mediumcool

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2011, 07:40:10 pm »

People asking others questions about what lenses they should buy seems to me like asking someone what sort of house they think you should live in. [all focal lengths related to 24 x 36 frame]

This is personal stuff, and should be based on the individual’s needs and desires. It depends on emotion and utility.

If we’re talking commercial photography, equipment needs to be selected that permits the carrying out of the majority of work; rentals can and do cover the extreme jobs—fisheyes, super-long teles etc.

For personal hobby/recreation, whatever floats your boat is appropriate; if you like street shooting, say, and want a relatively moderate perspective (eg the drawing of the lens doesn’t shout “look at me, I’m an ultrawide!”), lenses between 35mm and 50mm will do the job, with a coverage differential of about 50%, meaning useful overlap.

If you find yourself backing up all the time (beep, beep, beep!) then a wider lens is indicated; I have found 24mm is the widest I can use and retain “normal” perspective (if you keep the camera square on to geometric elements in the frame, and don’t have anything in particular looming up front).

Portraits? Any lens can make for effective portraits, but if the subject is to be large in the frame the lens needs to have a longer focal length than normal to keep noses and chins within reasonable limits. The longer the lens, the further away it is from the subject, and the flatter the rendering; a subject with a long hooter will benefit from a 200mm lens from 12' away!

How to break the rules, Arnold Newman-style (as I recall, this was shot on a Nikon with a 28mm lens):

Video on how and why this picture was made.

And another Newman with more “normal” perspective; this was the first Newman photograph I noticed, and I was stunned by its design. Still love it after 40+ years.

AlfSollund

« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2011, 11:48:10 am »

People asking others questions about what lenses they should buy seems to me like asking someone what sort of house they think you should live in. [all focal lengths related to 24 x 36 frame]

Well, a house doesn't matter, its just a place where I stay between two fishing or photo trips  ;D. Sorry for OT, couldn't resist.
-------
- If your're not telling a story with photo you're only adding noise -
http://alfsollund.com/

Rob C

« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2011, 04:48:09 pm »

Well, a house doesn't matter, its just a place where I stay between two fishing or photo trips  ;D. Sorry for OT, couldn't resist.

It's probably not something you chose to do on purpose, but every time I see your handle, I think Alfasud. I had one; great little car with the engine that my previous, even more little X1/9 should have had. Both, of course, hated to go anywhere if it was damp. Maybe it was just Scottish Mist they feared. Ah, Marelli!

;-(

Rob C

mediumcool

« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2011, 04:52:11 pm »

You’re not sorry, or you wouldn’t have posted!  ;D  Good to see someone not utterly obsessed by photography; fishing can be a bit more relaxing.  ;)

We would all produce better work if we concentrated less on gear and specs, and more on thinking about why we photograph. I wonder how many folks (not just on here) are perpetually testing lens/camera combinations, rather than taking photos with a purpose. I used to photograph brick walls occasionally, I must confess.

mediumcool

« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2011, 04:54:50 pm »

It's probably not something you chose to do on purpose, but every time I see your handle, I think Alfasud. I had one; great little car with the engine that my previous, even more little X1/9 should have had. Both, of course, hated to go anywhere if it was damp. Maybe it was just Scottish Mist they feared. Ah, Marelli!

Rob C

Old joke here in Oz: why are Alfas so fast? So you can get them home from the dealer before they rust! Scottish Mist—some fancy liquor? ;)

EinstStein

« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2012, 07:29:54 pm »

No one can share the experiences on 28mm/f2 and 35mm/f2? even non-ASPH?

mediumcool

« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2012, 08:18:32 pm »

I would first base it on the focal lengths I like to shoot with. I would get those.

Missed this post before; +1

Nothing else matters.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up