Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Los Angeles Sky: what kind of weather condition cause the sky to look like this?  (Read 5816 times)

mattyoung

see attached image...

thanks!

Rob C

Sunset?

Rob C

michael

Come on Rob. Sunset isn't weather. It's clouds.

Michael

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images

What you want to hear is the sky is manipulated right?   It probably is.  Happens all the time.

In real life a sky like this 'might' appear during certain times of environmental conditions such as thick dust or smoke particles in the air.  In Thailand we see exceptionally colored skies when they're burning crops sometimes as much as 500-1000 kilometers distant.  Really bad pollution makes for really bad skies, but there is a point on either side where it will help put color in the sky.

And of course this could have been shot after dark.  It's always fun to shoot scenes from 15-90 minutes after darkness to see of atmospheric conditions will contribute to color..

The bottom line is there are ways skies like this can be shot "naturally" but you really have to work for them. 
----------------------------------------------
http://www.BangkokImages.com

Rob C

Come on Rob. Sunset isn't weather. It's clouds.

Michael

Dang! Foiled again!

Rob C

degrub

Some of the most intense orange-red sunsets i ever saw were after the one of the pacific rim volcanoes blew and dumped tons of SO2 and SO3 in the upper atmosphere. The ash didn't hurt either.

Frank

famalam

• London Headshots

Could it be pollution?

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net

LA, I was born there.  With all that ocean off in the sunset direction you often get protracted sunsets with a lot of color.  If there are clouds in a nice arrangement...oh yeah!  It's optics, or something.  Aided by SO2, SO3, CO, CO2, and countless molecules I can not spell but which can kill you.  Provided the more usual 2000 foot high marine/smog layer is not in place.

However, I do believe the Saturation Slider was invoked here, and not a little bit.  But what the heck, sometimes sunsets FEEL that way when they don't exactly LOOK that way.

That's Griffith Observatory, named after a guy who shot his wife.  You don't see that kind of naming much anymore.

NikoJorj

• http://nikojorj.free.fr/

Clouds illuminated by sunset from behind. I won't say anything about chemtrails as I'm part of the conspiration, of course.

For the sunset color, as said, being on a mountain on a west coast helps : it means that the sun rays pass through more of the atmosphere at sunset. Works equally well for the western extremity of a mountain range above a plain (the case here in Grenoble) or for sunrise on an east coast eg.
Nicolas from Grenoble
A small gallery

Wolfman

• www.bernardwolf.com

LA, I was born there.  With all that ocean off in the sunset direction you often get protracted sunsets with a lot of color.  If there are clouds in a nice arrangement...oh yeah!  It's optics, or something.  Aided by SO2, SO3, CO, CO2, and countless molecules I can not spell but which can kill you.  Provided the more usual 2000 foot high marine/smog layer is not in place.

However, I do believe the Saturation Slider was invoked here, and not a little bit.  But what the heck, sometimes sunsets FEEL that way when they don't exactly LOOK that way.

That's Griffith Observatory, named after a guy who shot his wife.  You don't see that kind of naming much anymore.

I shot at the beach on the same day and the saturation slider was not invoked on this image. Some clarity, tone curve and lens correction.... it was a special sky for sure.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 03:50:01 pm by Wolfman »

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net

Come on you guys, everybody knows that steep Curves in "Normal" Blending Mode is little more than the Saturation Slider in drag!  Switch it over to "Luminosity" mode and see where that puts those sunsets!

But both are nice pictures that serve the moment, I'm not objecting.  That's roughly the view I used to have outside my old $80/month Venice Beach apartment.
Pages: [1]   Go Up