Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: moving lens from DB board to Copal shutter  (Read 3534 times)

epines

• ethan pines photography
moving lens from DB board to Copal shutter
« on: December 26, 2011, 08:21:22 pm »

For my Arca Swiss 69, I'm looking into buying a digital Rodenstock lens (35mm) that's currently mounted in a Sinar digital DB board (i.e., no shutter). My plan is to remove the lens and mount it in a standard Copal 0 shutter (to which I'll have SK Grimes add a correct aperture scale).

My question is, is it as simple as moving it from the old shutter to the new one? I'm not sure if there are pitfalls to be aware of. For example, will the spacing between the front and rear elements in the new shutter match the current spacing in the DB board? Am I opening a huge can of worms or sacrificing quality in order to do this?

thanks

ethan pines

theguywitha645d

Re: moving lens from DB board to Copal shutter
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2011, 08:26:22 pm »

You should be fine.

chiek

• chiek imaging
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2011, 11:25:09 pm »

Ethan,
Very simple.

Unscrew front/rear lens and mount copal shutter.

Front/rear spacing is same as copal shutter and DB lensboards.

JK
chiek imaging, in Seoul, SOUTH-KOREA.
Sinar P2, Hasselblad CFv-50c medium format and a7R systems
major job is products shot, especially for electronic products.
but interested in Landscapes and Portraits, Still-life.
my hobby is Designing camera…
www.chiek.co.kr

David Eichler

• San Francisco Architectural and Interior Photographer
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2011, 12:24:36 am »

For my Arca Swiss 69, I'm looking into buying a digital Rodenstock lens (35mm) that's currently mounted in a Sinar digital DB board (i.e., no shutter). My plan is to remove the lens and mount it in a standard Copal 0 shutter (to which I'll have SK Grimes add a correct aperture scale).

My question is, is it as simple as moving it from the old shutter to the new one? I'm not sure if there are pitfalls to be aware of. For example, will the spacing between the front and rear elements in the new shutter match the current spacing in the DB board? Am I opening a huge can of worms or sacrificing quality in order to do this?

thanks

ethan pines

I would think that SK Grimes would know what they are doing by now, and could advise you well. They have been serving Boston area pros for a long time. :-)  However, I must admit that I haven't dealt with them for a long time, and that was before digital.

Dick Roadnight

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2011, 10:47:00 am »

will the spacing between the front and rear elements in the new shutter match the current spacing in the DB board?
thanks

ethan pines
I one side of the shutter is attached to the lens board, secured with a retaining ring... and the front and rear parts of the shutter screw into the shutter. There is an assembly drawing in a Schneider document I have... I believe it came from France.

I do not know if you would get the retaining ring with the DB assembly.

Edit:

My thoughts seem to be confirmed - a search for Copal Shutters turned up this thread on the same question:

http://photo.net/large-format-photography-forum/
« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 11:02:26 am by Dick Roadnight »
Hasselblad H4, Sinar P3 monorail view camera, Schneider Apo-digitar lenses
Pages: [1]   Go Up