Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cant Export My Images in LR  (Read 1894 times)

rollsman44

Cant Export My Images in LR
« on: December 26, 2011, 05:29:57 pm »

I have been having a problem trying to Export images . I now have them in the LR Catalog and was trying to Export them to my folder. The message keeps telling me" Some export operations were not performed. File does not exist. 1-100

The images seem to be my originals ue to the file size when I click on it. How can I get these images on my desktop or HD folder so I can edit them and export them with mb sizes and NOT kb sizes. I really appreciate your help. I no longer have the CF card with the originals and I cant redo it again. rollsman

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
Re: Cant Export My Images in LR
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2011, 05:49:14 pm »

"File does not exist" usually indicates that while LR has a preview of the image (which is what you see in the LIbrary Module), the original image file is not available. It could be that the original is in a folder that has been moved or it's on an external hard drive. In your case, it may mean that when you were importing, you chose "Add" instead of "Copy".
  • "Add" leaves the image in place (or your card) but adds a preview and metadata to the LR catalogue;
  • "Copy" does the same as above while, at the same time, copying of the image file to whatever folder you have specified in the Destination palette in Import (right side)

This has been an ongoing difficulty with users of LR - that is understanding exactly what is happening during import - Copying versus Adding - and has led to images being erased from memory cards without them actually being uploaded.

When looking at the images in the Library Module, do you see a small icon in the upper right with a question mark?

If so, it means the original file is not available. Upon Export, you would get the Error Message that "original file could not be found".

Clicking the Question Mark icon will bring up a dialogue "xxx could not be used because the original file could not be found. Would you like to locate it" and it provides the last known location. Try navigating to that location and click on the file. If that last known location is your memory card, hopefully the file is still there and you can perform a proper Import using "Copy". Otherwise your photos may be gone for good, unless you can recover them from the memory card using a recovery application.

I hope this helps and that it turns out well for you.
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

eliedinur

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2011, 07:15:16 pm »

In your case, it may mean that when you were importing, you chose "Add" instead of "Copy".
"Add" leaves the image in place (or your card) but adds a preview and metadata to the LR catalogue;
"Copy" does the same as above while, at the same time, copying of the image file to whatever folder you have specified in the Destination palette in Import (right side)

This has been an ongoing difficulty with users of LR - that is understanding exactly what is happening during import - Copying versus Adding - and has led to images being erased from memory cards without them actually being uploaded.

This cannot happen because LR3 will not let you do it. When a card is the source only two operations are available, Copy and Copy as DNG. No Add and no Move. Your only option is to put a copy on your hard drive. However, what is a real source of confusion is the idea that some new users have that the catalog is a collection of actual photo files and that importing means putting the files "into" the catalog which exists somewhere outside the hard drive (in a cloud perhaps). They, therefore, do not realize that they have to select a destination folder on the right side of the Import dialog page, or that failing that, the photo files will be copied to the default My Pictures folder.
Roll over Ed Weston,
Tell Ansel Adams th

rollsman44

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2011, 10:46:49 pm »

I am getting a ? mark next to the file in LR. When I click on the LRcat I see all my images that I am looking for. I cant seem to put them in a folder so I can send them to the lab. If I cant do that will I be able to get a good 8x10 of the files I have( 400kb is the size) That would save me. I have them in a folder but I am thinking I need Bigger file size.
    Thank you everyone for your time and help.  rollsman

rollsman44

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2011, 10:56:54 pm »

I clicked on the ? next to the images I am looking for and the ? mark went away. I did search where to find folder. At this time since there is no ? mark anymore how can I get these images to a HD or my desk top? I tried again ti Export and same Message" Some Export Operations were not performed" Any suggestions? thank you

rollsman44

Re: Cant Export My Images in LR ( FOUND THE ORIGINAL... )
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2011, 11:30:09 pm »

I Found the orig. folder< Thank you all. I am sorry for any inconvenience. Rollsman   Happy Holiday
Pages: [1]   Go Up