Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Leaving The Square  (Read 1931 times)

Rob C

Leaving The Square
« on: December 26, 2011, 11:07:52 am »

Bloody beautiful!

Pete Turner?

;-)

Rob C

Rob C

Re: Leaving The Square
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2011, 01:14:15 pm »

I just can't believe that I am either the only one who's impressed with this stuff, or that Michael and I share an appalling taste.

;-(

Rob C

John R Smith

• Still crazy, after all these years
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2011, 01:52:17 pm »

Rob

I think if I were a magazine picture editor or designer I would love this shot. It has real dramatic impact, a striking restricted colour palette, and it would be a dream to use with text as it would be easy to float a title or body over the dark areas.

However, if it is meant to stand alone as a fine photograph then I am not so sure. There are two arched lighter elements in the composition, which should balance each other but I find the higher yellow one to be too strong and something of a distraction, if the figure is intended to be the subject. And that brings us to the figure - obviously the subject was a matter of happenstance, but I find the proportions of the figure to be uninteresting and to have little in the way of aesthetic merit. It is as if Michael has created this luminous and dramatic stage set, in order to frame a something or a someone, and then said "look at this!" And we look, and feel somewhat underwhelmed.

John
Hasselblad 500 C/M, SWC and CFV-39 DB
an

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2011, 01:52:55 pm »

I just can't believe that I am either the only one who's impressed with this stuff, or that Michael and I share an appalling taste.

;-(

Rob C
Your first post was correct; great shot and like many of Pete Turner's best.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2011, 01:53:01 pm »

Rob, count me in.

EDIT: I can't help being impressed by John's typical British eloquence in delivering the stinging message:

the figure - obviously the subject was a matter of happenstance, but I find the proportions of the figure to be uninteresting and to have little in the way of aesthetic merit.

... had I been in Michael's place, I would have said something more in line with the typical Serbian eloquence: "Would somebody kick that fat ass out of my scene, &*^%#@ !!!" ;D
« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 02:00:46 pm by Slobodan Blagojevic »

Rob C

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2011, 02:48:50 pm »

No chance, Slobodan; Michael's the perfect host. However, he does have a sickle-ridin' Rottweiler in the background, so cover your collective asses!

;-)

Rob C
Pages: [1]   Go Up