Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: New adapter to use Contax 645 lenses on Nikon or Canon!  (Read 21579 times)

fotometria gr

• www.fotometria.gr
New adapter to use Contax 645 lenses on Nikon or Canon!
« on: December 25, 2011, 04:08:43 pm »

Great news! "Kipon" announced on Ebay, on the "Contax 645" auctions, a new adapter that allows the use of what by many is considered (me among them) "the world's best glass", on Canon or Nikon! The adapter of the Contax 645 glass to our cameras, costs $270 and features a 16blade rounded aperture(!!), controlled by a ring on the adapter to replace the one of the lens which stays wide open. Will the Zeiss 80mm f2 prove to be the greatest portrait lens? Will the 140mm f2.8 & 210mm f4 prove to be the new long portrait masters? One thing is for sure, the breathtaking 120mm f4 macro will do 1:1 magnification on a full frame camera!! My Nikon 105mm microVR is for sale, anybody interested? Happy Holidays for everyone. Regards, Theodoros. www.fotometria.gr
« Last Edit: December 25, 2011, 06:32:00 pm by fotometria gr »

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Re: New adapter to use Contax 645 lenses on Nikon or Canon!
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2011, 10:09:01 pm »

In essence, this changes the location of the diaphragm in the lens, I would assume it is going to change its rendering. no?

Cheers,
Bernard

fotometria gr

• www.fotometria.gr
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2011, 11:02:38 pm »

In essence, this changes the location of the diaphragm in the lens, I would assume it is going to change its rendering. no?

Cheers,
Bernard

It looks like it, but we can't be sure before we try it, if its close to a perfect circle it may have little or no effect at all, but it is a point of concern. Otoh the design of the aperture looks like its been done by people that took the job seriously, I've ordered mine... and keep my fingers crossed. Don't forget that the image circle is much wider than the 6x4.5 of the Contax to allow for the use of the bellows. Regards, Theodoros. www.fotometria.gr

henrikfoto

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2011, 03:16:44 pm »

Great news!
I just made my order too!
Looking forward to using the 120 macro on my canon!

Henrik

fotometria gr

• www.fotometria.gr
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2011, 03:40:04 pm »

Great news!
I just made my order too!
Looking forward to using the 120 macro on my canon!

Henrik
For Canon I would target for the "Conorus" conversion of the NAM-1 adapter, much more expensive, but.... Regards, Theodoros. www.fotometria.gr

fotometria gr

• www.fotometria.gr
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2011, 03:58:09 pm »

For Canon I would target for the "Conorus" conversion of the NAM-1 adapter, much more expensive, but.... Regards, Theodoros. www.fotometria.gr
By the way, I wonder why in "Conorus" they only convert the existing Contax NAM-1 adapters in the market and don't produce their own. I suppose if they would they could make one for Nikon as well, this would be something wouldn't it? Any clue? Happy holidays, Theodoros. www.fotometria.gr

stefanooppo

• stefano oppo photographer
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2012, 09:23:11 am »

Hi, anybody can give a feedback on the Kipon adapter? Theodoros did you received it?
Stefano
Stefano

lowep

• http://sites.google.com/site/peterlowefoto/
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2012, 11:35:35 am »

Looking at the photos of the adapter on the ebay website there is a watermark "Bruguet Camera" that is a company with some good references from satisfied customers here

As this is a new product it will be interesting to find out if the quality is up to snuff that is an issue often raised lately in discussions about digital back adapters. Are tolerances for a FF Canikon DSLR lens adapter like this one just as critical and demanding as for a MFDB back adapter?

fotometria gr

• www.fotometria.gr
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2012, 06:30:21 pm »

Hi, anybody can give a feedback on the Kipon adapter? Theodoros did you received it?
Stefano
Yes I've got it, but didn't have the time to give it a good try, it seems to work alright and looks well made too. I never thought that the C645 lenses where so ...big! They do look much smaller on MF, on the D700 and especially the Fuji S5 & even more so on the D7K, they feel beefy but well balanced, unfortunately I sold the D3s (waiting for the D4) and didn't have the chance to mount one there, but fitting the power pack on the D700, makes it feel as MF. OTOH the Contax ....looks smaller now! Regards, Theodoros. www.fotometria.gr

stefanooppo

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2012, 05:19:54 am »

I was wondering if the focus point remain the same and if using the contax lenses with the adapter is easy as using an old manual focus lens or not.
best Stefano
Stefano

fotometria gr

• www.fotometria.gr
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2012, 07:26:40 am »

I was wondering if the focus point remain the same and if using the contax lenses with the adapter is easy as using an old manual focus lens or not.
best Stefano
Hi Stefano, the adapter is aimed to cover the difference in the distance of the mount from the sensor, that there is between the Contax 645 and a Nikon or Canon dslr, ie: the thickness of the adapter is equal to the above difference, this means that full focusing is retained, what is less is the FOV, which has a crop factor of about 1.5x, this may be beneficial for the performance of the lenses that will "reject" the edges and corners of them from the image that they were originally meant to cover (a 56mmx40.5mm) area. Regards, Theodoros.

stefanooppo

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2012, 04:32:57 am »

Thanks Theodoros
This was very helpful.
I was also wondering why do they put an aperture in it, can't just use the one of the lens?
An Italian manufacturer ( http://www.adrianololli.com ) produce a similar one less expensive but without the aperture,
Do we have to suppose that this adapter work work to the maximum aperture only?
I send them an email and I am waiting for a response.
Best Stefano
Stefano

fotometria gr

• www.fotometria.gr
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2012, 11:34:50 am »

Thanks Theodoros
This was very helpful.
I was also wondering why do they put an aperture in it, can't just use the one of the lens?
An Italian manufacturer ( http://www.adrianololli.com ) produce a similar one less expensive but without the aperture,
Do we have to suppose that this adapter work work to the maximum aperture only?
I send them an email and I am waiting for a response.
Best Stefano
The aperture control of the Contax 645, is electronic (the camera lens has a motor inside to control the aperture like a Canon Eos lens), thus if the lens is not powered through its CPU, there is no way to close the Iris from the aperture ring, even the DOF preview button on the camera doesn't have a mechanical coupling, its purely electronic. I guess then that the manufacturer you suggest, only aims his adapter for full aperture use. Regards, Theodoros. www.fotometria.gr

lowep

• http://sites.google.com/site/peterlowefoto/
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2012, 11:56:58 am »

is there any reason why the same trick could not be done with a mamiya 7 lens?

ChristianRandwijk

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2012, 04:49:13 am »

I think the lenses on the Mamiya 7 are closer to the film/sensor plane than on (D)SLRS, thus yielding adaptability to those impossible. But I don't see any reason why they shouldn't work on a mirrorless camera.

fotometria gr

• www.fotometria.gr
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2012, 07:31:57 am »

I think the lenses on the Mamiya 7 are closer to the film/sensor plane than on (D)SLRS, thus yielding adaptability to those impossible. But I don't see any reason why they shouldn't work on a mirrorless camera.
True, but nobody else does an adapter for electronic aperture lenses than the one on the OP. It just goes to show how frustrating is the decision of some manufacturers to abandon the traditional way of aperture control with a ring on the lens, I think that nikon's way of aperture control, the one on the D-series of lenses or the one of Leica on the R-lenses, is the best, It allows both mechanical control on the aperture and keeps full camera functioning on P & S modes. If it was applied by all manufacturers, it would give us the opportunity to save a lot of money on lens investment, while at the same time increase quality. We could then use our MF lenses for all telephoto purposes on smaller sensors and worry only on the wide angles for the dedicated ones. A Canon user for instance, could use the "Conorus" conversion to use the superb Contax N 17-35 f2.8 to cover the 17-24 part (at the range that this lens really shines), then use the dedicated 24-70mm, to cover the standard range and then use the "Conorus" adapter (the NAM-1 conversion) with the C645 lenses for the portrait/telephoto demands, with 4-5 lenses he could cover with top glass all that he needs in both APS-c, 35mm & Contax 645 (maybe he would need a WA in MF)! Regards, Theodoros. www.fotometria.gr

JohnBrew

• http://www.johnbrewton.zenfolio.com
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2012, 08:58:06 pm »

Be still my heart! An adapter for Mamiya 7 lenses to Nikon F mount would be the bomb!

stefanooppo

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2012, 09:34:11 am »

It seems I would have to buy the Conurus adapter as the producer Adriano Lolli don't have an contax 645 lens to Nikon adapter.
Thanks for your advices Theodoros, please let me know what you think of the  adapter when you use it..
Best
Stefano

fotometria gr

• www.fotometria.gr
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2012, 11:19:03 am »

It seems I would have to buy the Conurus adapter as the producer Adriano Lolli don't have an contax 645 lens to Nikon adapter.
Thanks for your advices Theodoros, please let me know what you think of the  adapter when you use it..
Best
It seems to be very good with the 140 & 210 at full aperture Stefano, the bokeh is simply stunning, I didn't like it with the 80, I would go for the nikkor 85 f1.8 instead... On the 120 macro it's alright, but didn't notice any improvement by closing the supplied aperture ring, so I guess I will stick with my 105 VR for macro, in the end I decided to leave the aperture open and use it with the 140 & 210 where the results can be impressive. No problems what so ever with stability or construction accuracy, its well made. Regards, Theodoros. www.fotometria.gr

stefanooppo

« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2012, 05:17:27 am »

Thanks Theodoros, 
The lenses you like so much (140 and 210) are unfortunately the only lenses I do not have..
and to be honest I had more expectations from the 80 1.4 as I was a big fan of the Zeiss 85 1.4 for the old 35mm format.
Good that the adapter is stable and well made as the lenses are very heavy.
I will order one to try it with the 35mm and 45mm
best

Stefano
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up