Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: iPhone 4 vs. iPhone 4s  (Read 5288 times)

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com
iPhone 4 vs. iPhone 4s
« on: December 25, 2011, 12:57:42 pm »

Has anyone migrated from an iPhone 4 to a 4s? If so why and are the hardware (processor, camera, video) differences significant enough to do it? My wife gave me an iPhone 4 for Hanukkah to replace my dying iPhone 3G. Before I unbox the new one I'm wondering if spending the extra C-note to go with the 4s variation instead.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: December 26, 2011, 12:01:32 am by Ellis Vener »

francois

Re: iPhone 4 vs. iPhone 4s
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2011, 06:07:01 am »

The camera is definitly better on the 4S. The hardware is quicker but you only notice that when you go back to a "normal" 4. Software is the same except for Siri. I haven't compared video recording.

Unless you take a lot of photos with your iPhone (or play video games), the iPhone 4 is worth keeping, but it's only my opinion.

Edit:  The 4S addressed the antenna problem (aka antenna-gate), so in this case a 4S has an advantage over the 4.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2011, 06:08:46 am by francois »
Francois

Kevin Gallagher

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2011, 06:25:52 am »

Hi Ellis, I just recently went to the iPhone and have the 4s model. My neighbor has the 3 series and he says that mine operates much faster. I'm guessing he's referring to the response to screen taps, swipes, etc. Haven't used Siri all that much but it does seem to be very helpful. One thing worth mentioning, there is a pretty cool App called Vocal that has just been released, it's in two parts, one on the iPhone and the other on your Mac (Mac Only It seems) it will let you dictate messages, run iTunes, etc. from the iPhone.  You must have the 4s for this to work. I have no affiliation with the developer.

Kevin in CT
Kevin In CT
All Animals Are Equal But Some Are More Equal
 George Orwell

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2011, 01:34:22 pm »

Thank you Kevin and Francois! I've decided to keep the iPhone 4 and use the price difference (about  $100 US + tax) towards my Mac Book pro budget for 2012. My real problem right now is the amount of music I want to sync!

K.C.

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2011, 09:35:16 pm »

Edit:  The 4S addressed the antenna problem (aka antenna-gate), so in this case a 4S has an advantage over the 4.

A problem that never existed. I have a 4, as do several dozen friends. Nobody I know has had dropped calls.

The camera on the 4 is fine as well. They had to bump the specs when the introduced the 4s, which was really about recouping Siri costs. They bought that technology, they didn't develop it.

Remember Apple is still marketing the 3, often it's a give away with a contract. They're brilliant at keeping a product out there long after they've recouped their R&D costs.

In a couple of months the iPad 3 will be introduced, much to the frustration of all those who received iPad 2s for the holidays. The iPhone 5 will arrive next summer right on schedule with the 3 dropping off and the 4 rolling down to the being the low end.

francois

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2011, 04:48:35 am »

A problem that never existed. I have a 4, as do several dozen friends. Nobody I know has had dropped calls.

I tried many iPhones 4  and only saw the issue on one and only in a weak signal area. We could repeat the test and the issue was always present unless that iPhone was held differently. When the 4S was available, I immediately tested with the same guy, at the same location and the 4S had zero issue.

That said, this is the only time I could see - myself - a problematic iPhone 4 and I'm not convinced that this specific iPhone was not defective.
Francois

AlRohrer

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2011, 09:47:50 pm »

I started with the original iPhone, moved up to the 3G, bought my wife a 3Gs, then moved to the 4 after the 4s came out. The camera in the 4s is better but not, in my opinion, significantly so. Siri is an interesting improvement but I am completely happy with my 4 and have no desire to upgrade.
Al
Pages: [1]   Go Up