Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Searching for multiple keywords at once to find photos of specific subjects  (Read 9001 times)

Hawkeye37

Hi-
Back in the day, one thing that I loved about Photoshop Elements was the ability to search multiple keywords at the same time to parse down my photos to a manageable group when looking for something specific.  When I moved to the full-blown version of photoshop (using Bridge) and then lightroom, I found that I could no long do this. 

So now that I have gone to the work of extensively keywording 90,000 pics in Lightroom, how do I do this?

For example:  say I have 5000 images that have been keyworded 'baseball'.  Of those 5000, some are major league, some of AA baseball, some of AAA baseball.  Some are of my kids' baseball.  Of course I have another 10,000 images of my kids doing other things, too.  'Birthday', 'swimming', 'Christmas', 'school', etc...  So how do I just show the photos that I have keyworded  with 'Lucas' and 'Baseball' without getting all of the other images of baseball and all of the other images with Lucas.  In this case, I don't want to get bogged down by every other photo that has Lucas in it.  I only want to see the ones of him engaged in playing baseball. 

It seems like if I type in 'baseball' and "Lucas' in the keyword search of LR, I get EVERYTHING that has the keyword 'Lucas' and 'baseball'.  Not just the pictures of Lucas playing baseball.

Can anyone explain to me how to do a search for multiple keywords at once?  Or a way to do it in multiple steps (ie Search 'Lucas', then 'baseball' within 'Lucas')??  Is there a control command or right click way to get the program to do these multiple searches?

Help?!!

john beardsworth

• My photography site

Either use the filter panel and set multiple columns to keywords (save a filter preset) or use a smart collection, remembering that holding down Alt/Option when clicking the + button allows you to nest criteria.

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald

Try changing "Contains" to  "Contains All" in the Library Filter toolbar (see attachment). There are a variety of choices to help with searches by keyword.

With "Contains All" selected:
  • "landscape", gives over 7000 hits or all my landscapes;
  • "landscape canada" gives only landscapes from canada;
  • "landscapes england" gives only england landscapes.

Hope this helps.
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

Hawkeye37

The Library Filter did what I was looking for.  Nothing better than to be able to pare down 80K images to a managable subset in a couple of keystrokes.  I knew there had to be a way to do that.  Does Bridge have a similar function?   

I'll give the other method a shot, too.

Thank you!

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald

Great to hear!
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

Les Sparks

• http://www.ncsparks.com

The Library Filter did what I was looking for.  Nothing better than to be able to pare down 80K images to a managable subset in a couple of keystrokes.  I knew there had to be a way to do that.  Does Bridge have a similar function? 
------------
Bridge is even better than Lightroom. Select Edit find and you get a drop down input box than you can expand as many criteria as you like. For each criteria you can select contains, equals, does not contain, starts with, ends with, does not equal, exists, does not exist. You can mix keywords, file name, date created, and almost any other criteria you have (lens for example). With Bridge you could find with one selection all photos of Lucas playing baseball on June 5, 2004, taken with a 70mm lens, with a specific exposure.
Since Lightroom is supposed to be aimed at managing your files, I hope that will add the search functionality that exists in Bridge.
Les
Pages: [1]   Go Up