Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Magazine Reproduction/Image-File Size  (Read 14172 times)

TMARK

Re: Magazine Reproduction/Image-File Size
« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2012, 10:54:30 am »

Always give them what they request.  Its part of your contract (you do have one, right?) with the publication.  But I always give them what I think they need as well.  BC has a slick system with the download page containing links to different formats.  Very smart.  I always gave them what they requested, then FPO 72ppi jpgs US letter sized (which they used for web), then a color corrected TIFF at native file size, 300dpi, RGB.  If they know what they are doing they can use the higher res file.  I've always held firm on not doing CMYK conversions.  I did them for a while, but getting the updated press profiles became more and more difficult.  That is a prepress job.  Prepress will call if they have any questions or need a larger/smaller file, but you know, good prepress is fading. More often than not they use the FPO file, so make sure it looks good.  I only shoot a little for publication now, and I have a client that likes to get prints, then scan them.  Talk about throw back, but I like the process. 
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up