Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Digital back for 6 X 17 Pano cameras?  (Read 2131 times)

andyptak

Digital back for 6 X 17 Pano cameras?
« on: December 22, 2011, 07:38:57 pm »

Does anyone use a digital back for a Fuji/Linhof etc?

I've been looking at it and just can't find or figure out what adapter might be available and which back could be used. Maybe it can't be done - or at least, economically?

DavidP

• papas.com
Re: Digital back for 6 X 17 Pano cameras?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2011, 09:08:41 pm »

I think the seitz round shot is the thing you are thinking of,  but economical it's not.
http://www.roundshot.ch/xml_1/internet/de/application/d438/d925/f934.cfm

Better maybe to stitch images together with a dslr

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2011, 11:47:24 pm »

Phase One P45+ shot on a Cambo Wide RS. Captured in two frames by moving the back 20mm left, then 20mm right (lens remains stationary).

This, in my biased opinion, is the modern equivalent of the 6x17 camera.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870  |  Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

andyptak

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2011, 09:54:46 am »

Thanks Doug. But there's a problem with motion using this techique, isn't there - people, waves , trees etc?

My current setup (not a panoramic outfit) doesn't allow for the back to move in order to stitch - I'm surprised it's only 20mm, is that a geometry thing? While I can swing the whole unit from left to right around the nodal point, I wonder if moving the entire outfit along a rail would be better, or maybe that requires a lot more than a 20mm shift in position? Math was never my strong point!

I'm enjoying panos more and more and software does a good job of stitching these days, but I'm still frustrated about not being able to capture motion when combining two shots, hence my original question.

Thanks

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2011, 12:55:15 pm »

Generally speaking for water and clouds it's not usually an issue.

For people (e.g. a train station) it will not work. Every technique/option has it's upsides and downsides!

andyptak

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2011, 01:44:21 pm »

True enough Doug.

I am interested though in hearing from someone as knowledgable as you about that "shift the sensor back 20mm left and right" thing though. If you can't shift the sensor back is there a similar, but different measurement for moving the whole body, or is it best just to rotate on a Pan Head? What I'm also wondering is can you set two cameras up side by side, a certain distance from each other, and then stitch the two shots into one? I'm sure you can, but I wonder if there's a math formula for the distance that should seperate them? Thanks.

theguywitha645d

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2011, 01:53:28 pm »

For rotating the camera, you can't use two cameras, the lens should rotate around the front nodal point/entrance pupil. How much you need to worry about that depends on how far away your objects are. An open landscape, you can shoot handheld and get good images to stitch, inside a forest, you really need a nodal slide and a pan head. Shifting a back is simple as the lens is fixed and the images are all coming through the front nodal point/entrance pupil.
Pages: [1]   Go Up