Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Photography - then and now  (Read 1813 times)

Rob C

Photography - then and now
« on: December 22, 2011, 03:30:26 pm »

I've posted this in the Business section, but it could interest the amateur members too.

http://www.professionalphotographer.co.uk/Frontline/Art-Directors/David-Hillman-Studio-David-Hillman

Ciao -

Rob C

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
Re: Photography - then and now
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2011, 12:21:59 pm »

Thanks, Rob. It was an interesting read, especially his take on how the industry has changed. But I think he's overlooking something in that evaluation. He mentions Newton, Donovan and Man Ray all having an inner sense of when they had the picture, and then talks about the over-shooting that goes on nowadays, often with no usable result. But that's not just an effect of digital.

I go back to the story I dug out and posted not long ago about Brassaï photographing Lawrence Durrell with one very old camera with a cracked lens hood and a tripod that kept kneeling down like a camel. Once Brassaï and Durrell got the tripod to stand up, then "Quietly, absently, Brassaï began to talk about photography, all the while keeping an eye on Durrell" until he stopped and shot the picture. There was a duo of American press photographers there who had arrived at the same time as Brassaï. They were loaded with equipment: cameras, long lenses, etc. They said something to the effect that they were astonished Brassaï made only one shot. He answerd that he'd rather make the picture himself than win it in a lottery.

My point is that a good photographer always is going to have an inner sense of when he has the picture. The lottery players always have been with us, even in film days. Digital has made it easier to play the lottery, but the results aren't any better now than when Brassaï made his picture of Durrell.

If you're interested, the Brassaï story is at http://books.google.com/books?id=6Nd30fBYDDcC&pg=PA32&lpg=PA32&dq=brassai's+kneeling+tripod&source=bl&ots=5waglR9M37&sig=l-12-B5suxTepO3y3vxCgtKWC-o&hl=en&sa=X&ei=NbX0TozgJoabtweI0dDPBg&sqi=2&ved=0CB0Q6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=brassai's%20kneeling%20tripod&f=false
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Rob C

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2011, 04:07:18 pm »

Hi Russ

Yes, I accept that the machine gun brigade was already present, and all correct; also, it really isn't always as negative a system as some make it out to be. In the case of Brassaï, where we are deaing with portraits (and camels), there generally isn't the need for motor drive shooting; in fact, in my own case, that would be the sort of situation where I would probably have been drawn to the 'blad rather than towards Nikon. Other than the 'slow and considered' thing, there's also the need to consider how the shot(s) might be printed - 6x6 allowed fairly optimal cropping of the sides - 35mm always felt too tall in the vertical mode, but just about perfect in horizontal, but I'm perfectly happy to accept that may just be a quirk on my part.

Then there's the model to consider: some can hold a shape and switch expressions on demand; others can't and have to run through a sort of little 'programme' of their own devising to get to where they think you want to go, in which case, a motored approach can help you catch it. There's nothing worse than that moment, that lull when nothing's happening between the two of you and you fear the model mght lose confidence both in herself and, more importantly, in you. Then you just click your way out of that doldrum and carry both of you to the next peak, which usually does show up. You both depend on that to get paid! Or at least, a second time by the same client.

But getting back to Mr Hillman: his pedigree is quite amazing; the Nova thing is revealing in many ways, especially when he talks about Harri Peccinotti. (Like Hans Feurer and also Peter Knapp as well as David Hamilton, these people are/were not just photographers, but designers/creatives in other fields too. I think that must have made it less than easy for other art directors to deal with them, on many levels that spring to mind.

This thing that Hillman mentions, of building up the picture by looking into a monitor all the time – it was similar in the days of Polaroid, too, where some would consume huge loads of the stuff – probably as much out of client insecurity and need as their own. Though I did own a Polaroid back for the ‘blad system, I seldom used the stuff – didn’t have to, really, because more often than not I was my own art director, thank God!  Also, I did tend to use 35mm most of the time, anyway, and though there was a Polaroid system of sorts for that, too, I never had it.

Well, knowing when you have the shot is more easily said than done; you can also be mistaken, as I have found at times. Then, you can be surprised by something you’d thought hadn’t worked particularly brilliantly – or it might be post-event rationalisation!

Distance, oh distance! Time can change one’s perception too; that pic that felt great twenty years ago suddenly pales in comparison with another from the set that hadn’t at the time, done anything much to open the juices-gate. Fortunately, by then, it doesn’t matter much to anyone other than the shooter; an academic instant of revelation, I suppose one could say.

Digital has changed many things, other than just the use of film. Speaking for myself, I discover that I have lost much of my sense of exposure control. Was a time, with Kodachrome or pretty much with anything else from the very short range of materials I used, that I knew instinctively how to meter for the effect I sought. With digi, I’m not so sure anymore, and have become dependent on the built-in metering of the camera, something I never did with film, despite having had a Photomic F2 for a period. Using a Weston or a Minolta meter isn’t the same thing at all as using the camera’s own device. Somehow, with digi, hand-held meters seem to have gone into a virtual tomb, as far as I’m concerned. I don’t know if that’s good or bad.

Of course, I speak from the position of being long-retired from pro life; perhaps if I were still actively engaged I’d have lost none of the old skills at all… to be honest, that’s something that can happen even within the same medium: I went through a period where I was doing a reasonable amount of event shooting with portable flash slung over the shoulder. I was quite good at guestimating exposure. Then, when I went out of that genre, I realised later that I no longer would have known how to set the friggin’ diaphragm and would have had to bracket like mad!

As they say, use it or lose it. Guess that applies to photography too!

Rob
« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 04:12:59 pm by Rob C »

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2011, 07:41:44 pm »

I think that's true of just about everything, Rob. Use it or lose it. Yes, on-camera metering is very different from hand-held metering, and with my D2X I often used a Sekonic -- as an incident rather than a reflected meter. Considering the range of brightnesses in early morning light when I'd go out to shoot birds on the river I was a lot better off knowing the level of ambient light from a couple readings and using manual aperture and shutter speed settings than I was trying to get the camera to make sense out of the reflected jumble. I've found that the D3 can handle the situation much better than the D2X could, so I rarely use the hand-held any more.

Ah, the Weston with its flip up door. Hadn't though about that for decades. I used to use a Weston all the time in Korea.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2011, 10:04:56 am »

Wonderful discussion here.

Like many, I have found that with digital I am shooting more frames, but not as a lottery. Rather, I'm doing more "sketching" because I have the advantage of instant feedback as Polaroids once provided. In one sense, my "sketchings" have replaced the viewing card I once used religiously with my 4x5 work.
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

Rob C

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2011, 06:42:48 am »

Wonderful discussion here.Like many, I have found that with digital I am shooting more frames, but not as a lottery. Rather, I'm doing more "sketching" because I have the advantage of instant feedback as Polaroids once provided. In one sense, my "sketchings" have replaced the viewing card I once used religiously with my 4x5 work.

Wish you hadn't said that: it's going to be the thread's kiss of death.

Now I'm obliged to waste the sharpened dagger that I held before me; is there no justice in this world? Reminds me of Mae West's quip: I'd rather have a bottle in front 'o me than a frontal lobotomy.

Rob C

Pages: [1]   Go Up