Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rollei with P20 back tethering  (Read 2234 times)

Neil Folberg

• http://www.visiongallery.com
Rollei with P20 back tethering
« on: December 21, 2011, 03:50:56 pm »

Hello,

I just purchased a used Rollei 6008AF with a dedicated db 20P back to have as a backup for my Leaf Afi-ii 12 system and as something less valuable to carry around. When I hook up the camera back to my computer while running C1, the camera back shows that it is connected and the C1 Capture window shows that I'm connected to a Phase One P20 back. If I press "capture" I get the message on the back "Shutter synchro error: Check cable" I am using a FW 400 6 pin to FW800 cable and as far as I can determine the cable is sound (it works to hook-up a hard disk).

PhaseOne says the back responds as if it is on a 4x5 and doesn't recognize the camera and is therefore a Rollei problem.  Reiner Schonrock at DHW (Rollei) says that if the camera functions without tethering in a normal fashion with the back, then it is a PhaseOne kind of problem (it does function just fine untethered and makes nice-looking files).

Perhaps one of you out there knows something? If I could just get the CF card while in the camera to mount on my Macbook Pro so that I could see the pictures on the computer screen I probably wouldn't need tethering ...

Many thanks, Neil

Dennis Carbo

Re: Rollei with P20 back tethering
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2011, 05:21:01 pm »

I think there is a small cable you need to hook the back to the camera - it was made for a rollei by phase...I say its a phase one problem too...any how...there may be a resistor that needs to be modified in the 6008 af if it did not come with that back .  not sure

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2011, 12:58:53 am »

Neil.
I'm with Reiner on this one - sure sounds like a problem with the cable or back, but as I wrote you via PM, I'd first try some of the different setting configurations on the back  and then in the camera section from within phase one.  If that doesn't get it to see the camera then I'd try a different cable.    I have noted problems tethering once I added the Leaf Aptus 12.  Sometimes when trying to switch from the Leaf to the phase or hasselblad backs, things are just frozen once using the Leaf back.   I have to shut down all the apps (LC, C1, Phocus) that use the firewire port and restart - sometimes I have to completely restart the computer.  I sure you've tried all that, but thought since you also have the AFi-ii 12 that it would be worth mentioning.

Good luck!
Eric
Rolleiflex USA

Gigi

• some work
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2011, 09:14:41 am »

Tethering with the dp20 back was not a perfect arrangement. There was some sesquence of hookup that involved starting each item in a proper way, of course not remembered. Restarting the computer was typically part of this. Not quite as simple as the later AFI camera/backs. Sorry can't remember more.    
Geoff

Neil Folberg

• http://www.visiongallery.com
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2011, 10:33:18 am »

Hi, I fussed with everything and now it works. That is, I can shoot from the camera and the image shows up **fast** in C1 when tethered. That is good enough for my purposes. Eric, there is an update for LC 11.5 which you might want to try if you haven't already and the tethering might perhaps work better for the AFi-ii 12; at least that has been my experience. I think it's always better to reboot, then open LC before plugging the camera in to the computer.

Thanks for all your good will-
Neil
Pages: [1]   Go Up