Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Head Strikes on Z3100  (Read 3379 times)

KevinMcD

Head Strikes on Z3100
« on: December 20, 2011, 07:45:19 pm »

I'm the owner of a 24in Z3100.  I've had the machine for 4 years and it has performed very well, save for the replaced belt.
Several month ago however, I was loading a sheet of paper and had a loading error (paper jam) that mangled a couple star wheels.  
As the were hanging in the paper path, I removed the three that lived on the same black plastic piece.

All seemed fine, however, I've started to have what appears to be head strikes right at the point where the star wheels were removed.

I'll attach a photo.  Any thoughts?  Should I replace the entire starwheel bar?  Anyone have any experience with this?

It seems to appear mostly on my favorite glossy papers - Canson Bartya and Canson Platine.

I will add that it usually does not run the entire print (this is one of the worst examples).  It usually appears at in the middle/end of the print.

Thanks,
Kevin

Edit:  Well, after spending the night experimenting, it appears as though the missing star wheels may have nothing to do with the marks,
as I printed on a 24" roll and moved the print to the other side of the paper beyond the area where the star wheels were.  
The marks still appeared.  It appears as though the paper buckles in areas and the print head is somehow striking the paper.  
I printed on a smaller sheet of paper (11x17) and there were no strikes. However the marks appear on a 13x19 sheet.
Thoughts would be appreciated.  Also, I should have turned the photo 90 degrees. The marks go in the direction of the printhead.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 11:04:21 pm by KevinMcD »

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
Re: Head Strikes on Z3100
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2011, 03:28:07 am »

I would bet you need a good cleaning and just have a lot of built up gunk.

KevinMcD

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2011, 09:44:56 am »

I'll try that.  Any good tips to cleaning under the printhead?

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2011, 10:00:35 am »

Follow my video, take it apart and clean everything :)

foxyboy

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2011, 01:56:11 pm »

I did run in that problem with the same papers and the way I was able to fix it was by uncheck  "print with more pass" in the printer driver.

Denis

KevinMcD

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2011, 03:54:42 pm »

Okay, thanks. Did you notice any quality difference with it un-checked?
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 04:24:12 pm by KevinMcD »

foxyboy

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2011, 05:09:34 pm »

No difference in a print quality but to let you know those file I did prints where B&W from film from the 60 and 70 ( jack Robinson)

KevinMcD

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2011, 04:27:22 pm »

I have found that unchecking the "highest detail" does stop the strikes.

It is too bad that one has to do this.   

I can't visually see a difference in the print quality, but I'm sure there is.

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2011, 04:09:22 am »

Highest Detail is a setting that should be used for vector designs, fonts etc and should not make a difference for other images. The input resolution jumps from 600 to 1200 PPI, according the old firmware/driver, not with the latest. I guess the media's slower transport in that setting and the absorption of ink creates a bulge in the media underneath the head travel route which does not occur when a higher media speed = best quality is selected.

met vriendelijke groeten, Ernst

Try: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/

deanwork

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2011, 11:55:46 am »

That's right you need to use More Passes (uni-directional)  but not Highest Detail, except for when using small text. It is even a minimal improvement for that from what I've seen with posters and such so I rarely even use it even then.

This printer is slow enough without having to deal with any additional decrease in speed.

KevinMcD

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2012, 05:51:08 pm »

Ugh, well I'm still getting head strikes with the highest detail turned off.   This is with Canson Rag Photographique 310 now.  I swear I've printed with this paper, or papers like it many time before without issue.  But lately (the last 6 months or so)  I've been getting these head strikes on my 5 year old Z3100. 

Does anyone know if anything could have changed in the driver?  Or if there is anything I can change to raise the head?  Any help would be appreciated as I'm trying to print up an exhibition.

Thanks,

Kevin

KevinMcD

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2012, 12:09:44 am »

Had one of those frustrating nights of printing, while watching the Super Bowl. LOL.

The majority of strikes appear to be happening in line with where the rear set of star wheels are missing a couple of wheels (being mauled, then removed after a bad paper jam).

How difficult is it to replace (and find and order the part for) the rear star wheel mechanism?
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 12:47:54 am by KevinMcD »

namartinnz

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2012, 02:03:07 am »

If you have no luck finding replacement star wheels )if that's what you're after) you can reposition the star wheels on along the length for a more even distribution - I did this to my Z3100. Wheels pop in easily using needle nose pliers or even a fine screw driver.

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2012, 02:47:47 am »

Right, with an experiment I should not have done I lost some starwheels on the Z3100 in the first year I had the printer. I averaged the starwheel distribution on the bar and could continue printing. Later on that bar was replaced when the new manual height adjusters for the Z3100 became available. I think you should check your starwheel bar in general too. When I replaced mine I adjusted its angle a bit so the media was more pressed to follow the curve of the media path. If you look carefully through the side where the cutter replacement is done you will see that the pinch wheels on the transport axle overhang a bit, forcing the media to make a curve on the plastic ribs underneath the head carriage and at the end of that curve the starwheels should keep the media down. Check how that is done and whether the starwheel side does it correctly.

Shareware now:
Dinkla Gallery Canvas Wrap Actions for Photoshop
http://www.pigment-print.com/dinklacanvaswraps/six-canvas-wrap-actions.htm

KevinMcD

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2012, 12:33:39 pm »

Thanks for the replies, guys!  So is lifting out the star wheel mechanism as easy as finding the correct hex and unscrewing the screws to lift the mechanism? 

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2012, 03:39:43 pm »

Yes.

met vriendelijke groeten, Ernst
Shareware too:
330+ paper white spectral plots:
http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
Pages: [1]   Go Up