Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Knock-on effects of 24MP Sony APS-C...  (Read 2455 times)

dreed

Knock-on effects of 24MP Sony APS-C...
« on: December 20, 2011, 12:06:01 am »

In a thread somewhere long forgotten, a poster made a point about how the upcoming 1DX was going to be of marginal use for stock photographers because when you moved under 18MP, the value dropped sharply, meaning that any sort of cropping would impact the value of a photo. Whilst I doubt that stock photographers are the intended audience of the 1DX, what I do find myself wondering is if the various stock agencies will raise that bar to 24MP (or more). Why?

Prior to the 24MP APS-C cameras from Sony, 18MP and over was pretty much restricted to full frame DSLR cameras or MFDB. This meant that there was a price barrier for entry into supplying photographs to that market that was harder to justify to casual shooters.

If 24MP pictures are about to be common place in the next 12 months, will sock agencies raise the bar accordingly and if so, how far? And how will photographers that target them respond?

barryfitzgerald

Re: Knock-on effects of 24MP Sony APS-C...
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2011, 03:50:59 am »

I don't really see the 1DX aimed at stock photographers more sports photographers, photojournalists and pro's (well some of them)
The photographic world is a lot bigger than stock photography (which is heavily over subscribed as it is)

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2011, 05:32:07 pm »

If 24MP pictures are about to be common place in the next 12 months, will sock agencies raise the bar accordingly and if so, how far? And how will photographers that target them respond?

I don't know about needs of sock agencies, but nowadays a large number of purchased images are small files (1-2 MP), aimed at web, mobile or ebook applications. Restricting the image collections to 20+ MP size wouldn't help the typical purchaser. 

If anything, stock industry will raise their standards for cleaner images (i.e. downsampled from 18-24MP to 6-10 MP), rather than softer supersized files. Of course, there will be always market for extra large files suitable for high-end clients, creative cropping or oversize panoramic prints.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2011, 06:29:59 pm »

Why would stock agencies fall into this consumeristic folly?

They work based on the request from their customers, who mostly never print larger than high quality A3.

6MP of good quality is enough for most stock applications.

Cheers,
Bernard

K.C.

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2011, 08:16:31 pm »

Does anyone have enough stock business to let it determine their camera purchases ?

I think they're few and far between, if there are any at all.

barryfitzgerald

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2011, 06:43:53 am »

The stock photography business is heavily over subscribed. I'm sure some dedicated people do make a decent living at it..I'm also pretty sure most are not doing much more than pocket money off of stock.
Over the last few years it's exploded out of control with just about everyone trying their hand at stock photos. Nothing wrong there fair game to all involved but I very much doubt people do as well as might be perceived off of stock.

You would want to be doing very well to earn a full time living at it.

schrodingerscat

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2011, 08:38:07 pm »

Why would stock agencies fall into this consumeristic folly?

They work based on the request from their customers, who mostly never print larger than high quality A3.

6MP of good quality is enough for most stock applications.

Cheers,
Bernard

Same with magazine work. I've got a buddy that does mostly editorial  and architecture with a 1D III, and the art director types are now badgering him to the point of having to go medium format. Once again, an industry driven by people who have little or no knowledge but love them big numbers.
Pages: [1]   Go Up