Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: NE Locations for August Shooting?  (Read 2589 times)

Geoff Wittig

NE Locations for August Shooting?
« on: July 04, 2005, 12:17:03 pm »

Foliage is pretty well bug-eaten and time-worn by August, but at least the black flies are gone. Pick up one of the Delorme state "gazeteers" for at least NY & Pennsylvania, and you'll see all the state parks and scenic overlooks. At least in Western NY the best landscape subjects in August are morning fog near lakes and the occasional dramatic sky over hills at dawn or dusk.

Geoff Wittig

« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2005, 11:05:15 pm »

Watkins Glen State Park is indeed beautiful, one of approx. 10 state parks in the Finger Lakes region, many sporting waterfalls. It's about 300 miles from New York City, though. You may want to look at Lake George, the Adirondacks and the Catskills for something a little closer.

JRandallNichols

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2005, 02:57:21 pm »

I am locked into an August vacation slot (whole month) this year and need to stay in the northeast, ideally within a half-day's drive of New York City.  Any suggestions on interesting photo locations for what I have always found a difficult photographic month?  Many thanks.
Randy

jrh312

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2005, 12:01:04 am »

I don't remember exactly how far it is from you, but Watkins Glen, NY is an amazing place...I just wish I had been interested in photography when I was there last time. It's up in the Finger Lakes region and the whole area has great scenery. The Glen area in particular is rich with waterfalls and rock formations.

gr82bart

• http://www.artliem.com
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2005, 06:01:25 pm »

My suggestion would be to get up early, like really early - around 4:30am and drive up Highway 1 along the CT coast. If you a morning fog, there are numerous inlets, sounds and bays that make for great pictures.

Many of these costal towns have small marinas with wooden boats and other maritime vessels that also make for great pics. Particularly in the early morning or twighlight.

Cities like Bridgeport and New Haven also have industrial sites that make for some great architectural pics and twighlight/night photography. Though, I would not photograph in Bridgeport alone, especially at night.

South of NYC, there's Asbury Park, NJ - site of a once thriving 'Atlantic City' by the beach that has some fantastic picture taking opportunities.

Have a great trip.

Art.
Visit my website at [url=http://www.gr82
Pages: [1]   Go Up