Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hp z3100 single sheet problem  (Read 3559 times)

shaun

Hp z3100 single sheet problem
« on: December 18, 2011, 06:53:02 am »

I've been using roll paper for some time and find now that when I try to print on single sheets my z3100 doesn't recognize it and keeps asking me to load a roll. I'm on a mac 10.6.8 and printing through p/shop cs5.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Shaun

Ernst Dinkla

Re: Hp z3100 single sheet problem
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2011, 07:51:39 am »

A guess; an unfinished job for roll paper to be printed may still be in the pipeline.

met vriendelijke groeten, Ernst

Try: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/

shaun

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2011, 12:20:59 pm »

Hi Ernst

Thanks for the reply, makes sense though that doesn't seem to be the issue.

Shaun

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2011, 02:28:05 pm »

Will the sheet load if you tell the printer it is a roll? I have not seen an instruction like that. Maybe the printer is stuck in an odd loop. The usual remedy then is switching the printer off, power off, power on.

shaun

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2011, 05:24:47 pm »

Ernst

The sheet will actually load, I select paper type (A3+ sheet) and all seems well but then it gives a message to load a roll. Been powered down several times with no change.

Shaun

Roscolo

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2011, 11:35:46 pm »

I was getting the same problem sometimes. Using PS CS 4 and Windows XP 32 bit. Never really figured it out, but didn't put much time or effort into it because I virtually never print on sheets. Was only using scrap sheets to do test prints. I just started doing test prints on rolls and disabling the cutter, then rolling the paper back into the printer to print on another section.

shaun

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2011, 03:47:31 am »

Thanks for that Roscolo.

I was on cs2 the last time I printed to sheet and an older mac. I find that I am wasting a lot of time trying to sort this out and was hoping that someone on this forum had encountered the same issue and had a solution.

Shaun

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2011, 04:50:03 am »

The issue intrigues me but I do not see a hardware fault that could cause it. The printer itself is an omnivore; it does not care whether there is sheet or roll fed as long as the sheet is wider than A4 and the roll >A3. The switch in the insert path that acts like a sensor does not act differently on both but you could check whether it flips back at the end of the sheet when it measures the length of the sheet. If not the sheet should run through till it lies in front of the transport axle but I would not expect the printer to ask for a roll then. There have been reports on bad/dirty switches.The printer panel choices can not disable sheet feeding but know a difference on the skew check for sheets, you could try to change that but it should in theory not affect your issue.

I do not know a setting in the driver or utility software that disables sheet feeding. A bug that requests roll feeding is more likely, like mentioned an old job in the spooler etc. A total reinstall and the printer disconnected and switched off?

John Nollendorfs

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2011, 10:42:14 am »

Another thing you might try is powering off and unplugging the printer. Even with the printer powered off, some circuits are still left powered. So have you tried unplugging the printer also?

shaun

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2011, 02:38:33 pm »

Hi

Thanks everyone who responded. I have powered off and unplugged etc. I will try a complete reinstall to see if that is the solution and post the result.

Thanks again

Shaun

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2011, 06:31:52 pm »

Make sure you are using a wide enough sheet.

dandeliondigital

• http://www.dandeliondigital.com
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2011, 04:25:41 pm »

Hi,
I usually go crazy when I try to print on sheets with the Z3100PS 44. So I save that for times when I feel extra strong.  ;)

If you ever have to print on letter sized sheets, a trick I've devised helps.

Tape another sheet of letter to the end of the original (use drafting type tape on the back for eazy removal, and butt it up so that you now have a 8.5x22 sheet), and now your letter size prints without cropping off part of the image or else cropping off and then asking for more paper to finish the job. If you get a letter sized sample pack and try to print a profile you'll go nuts if you don't do this.

Also, paper has to be at least 5.5 " wide, if memory serves.

It really doesn't make using up scraps and bits and bobs of paper very E-Z. It can be infuriating, always finding something wrong with the load, or else it might work just fine.

Has anyone else noticed how amazingly accurate the printer is a measuring he width of paper? for example, I'll load a 24" roll. and it days it's 23.95" wide and then backs at me as if I really care. But it slows things down which has been happening for years!

So long for now, TOM

kaelaria

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2011, 04:28:34 pm »

18" roll, 11" sheet, not 5.5".
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 04:30:16 pm by kaelaria »

namartinnz

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2011, 09:50:15 pm »

I've found with sheets as thin as 6", I can feed thru manual. When it says line up with blue line, I feed it back until it's under the rear rollers. Printer recognises the paper and will print. You still need around 2" free otherwise the printer runs out of paper to feed. Good way to get rid of small sheets

shaun

« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2011, 08:15:50 am »

Thanks again everyone for your helpful advise.

Must admit my frustration at having to waste so much paper when doing profiles. The idea of using an A4 sheet and taping another piece to the side for recognition purposes is something I will try when/if I get the single sheet issue sorted.

Have noticed that the profiles don't stay too long, month or so before printer asks for a recalibration.

Thanks again
Shaun

kaelaria

« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2011, 07:52:29 pm »

Yep, the printer calculates profile life based on paper and ink cartridge use.

Mark Potter

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2012, 12:58:52 am »

My Z3100 has always been a bit picky when printing single sheets. be sure to feed correctly, mine would trip up when I would insert say a 13 x 19 in lanscape and choose 13 x19   landscape and would not see it and ask for roll, but if the inserted it portrait, chose 13x19 in print specs and then chose landscape portrait it seem to like that.
Pages: [1]   Go Up