Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Just wondering  (Read 4962 times)

Rob C

Re: Just wondering
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2011, 01:48:06 pm »

Eric and Russ

I can sympathise with the attractions of digital, most of all the no-film-cost angle of it, and as far as 35mm goes, neither would I welcome an enforced return to film. In that format, for me, it was ever about shooting a lot in order to capture that single, elusive expression from many tries. As a pro, it didn’t matter about money at all because it was all budgeted, but for myself, it’s a very different story.

That written, I would certainly return to film if it was going to be a matter of returning to the world of the ‘blad. It was always a different sort of thing, even with people shots, because there, one was looking for something that wasn’t really the same as with 35mm shooting: more considered, slower and somewhat more static. Of course, that would now imply the use of a good, dedicated 120 scanner, and the same cost monster rears its ugly head! Ironic, really, as slow and considered would probably more describe my world of now than ever before! Further manifestation of changing circumstances, I guess. I notice I’m not getting younger anymore; was a while when I’m fairly sure that I did manage that – possibly in my fifties – but that particular mojo’s left; mother!

Rob C

Ray

Re: Just wondering
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2011, 06:51:10 pm »

My "day job" for 35 years was teaching math and computer science, and I always looked forward to spending time in the darkroom as a blessed relief from dealing with technology. I resisted caving in to the "digital revolution" (or "going over to the Dark Side," as i like to call it) until a planned trip to the Canadian Rockies in 2004. I was worried about what the airport scanners might do to my precious Kodachromes, so I bought my first DSLR, a Canon 10D. But not trusting "digital" I also brought along a film canon, so I could use the same lenses on both.

Whereas I, Eric, bought my first computer for the main purpose of creating a digital darkroom. I remember the difficulty I had in finding an affordable computer which incorporated a sufficiently powerful video card that could display the full 8 bit color of my Kodak Photo CD images. In those days, around 1993, many video cards couldn't manage more than 4 or 6 bit color depth, so I had to learn the 'nuts and bolts' of the issues in order to correctly specify the equipment I needed.

I remember the frustration and dismay I experienced in those days having to wait a full two minutes for an 18MB Photo CD image to be read by my 4x CD ROM player and displayed on my Sony monitor.

In a sense, my first digital camera was not a DSLR but a scanner, the Nikon LS2000. For a few years I also shot everything twice, taking a photograph of each negative after it had been developed in Kmart.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up