Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: i1 Display Pro - Problem  (Read 9679 times)

shacharoren79

i1 Display Pro - Problem
« on: December 16, 2011, 10:57:36 am »

hi,

so i have a 30" cinema display which i tried to calibrate 2 days ago with the new i1 display pro.

i ran the 3 very basic steps of :

1. display settings - D65 and lum - 120 (i calibrate with a dark room)

2. measurement - which i used Automatic display control

3. ICC profile - i gave my profile a name and clicked the "create and save profile" button.

now according to the "before/after" view i do not see a big difference, even a very very small one,

but my problem is that when i open a certain image in lightroom or PS it looks "fine" and when i open it with the win 7 default "windows photo viewer" it looks awful!

very dark shadows and blacks. a very big difference from when i show the same image in lightroom.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Re: i1 Display Pro - Problem
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2011, 01:09:49 pm »

but my problem is that when i open a certain image in lightroom or PS it looks "fine" and when i open it with the win 7 default "windows photo viewer" it looks awful!

Probably not an ICC aware application so it has no idea about either the document color space or the display profile.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

shacharoren79

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2011, 01:23:17 pm »

The application that I am referring to is the default windows 7 viewer called "windows photo viewer"

Meaning it is within the operating sys. How could this be?

I have checked in the color management of the win 7 and it seems that the profile that I created by name is working right now.

Any other thoughts?

howardm

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2011, 01:27:56 pm »

it's just an application PROVIDED WITH the OS.  It's not part of it nor does it have to be color managed.

Download another viewer program that is color managed like irfanview or so (I'm not  a PC guy) and it'll look fine.

The fact will be that the Windows Media Viewer program is not color managed.  There is no 'it's gotta be color managed'.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2011, 01:50:57 pm »

it's just an application PROVIDED WITH the OS.  It's not part of it nor does it have to be color managed.

It is not a Mac <g>. ALL kinds of Windows app’s are not color managed (system or otherwise). PS and LR which are color managed DO match. They should.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

shacharoren79

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2011, 04:05:01 pm »

well, PS and Lightroom do match.

but how can i know from now on which app is color managed and which one does not?

for example, my web browser, Google chrome in my case, will it show colors correctly?

how can i know for other software's?

Sheldon N

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2011, 04:38:52 pm »

http://www.gballard.net/psd/go_live_page_profile/embeddedJPEGprofiles.html

Try out the mouseover images to test your browser.

I prefer Firefox.
Sheldon Nalos
[url=http://www.flickr.com

stalisman

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2011, 06:28:35 am »

Microsoft applications such as Word do not understand about icc profiles so it isn't too supprising if other minor apps do not either.  Windows provides api's to enable application designers to utilise profiles it doesn't actually do the work itself.  If an app choses not to be bothered then there is nothing windows can do about it.

What you could do is convert your image to the colour space defined by your icc profile in Photoshop say, save the new image and use that 'corrected' image in your application.

kingscurate

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2011, 07:46:03 am »

If you run any image through LR and PS, then you have no problem surely. If for example you see an image on the web, right click open with photoshop, if that option isnt available save the image and then open with PS.
Forget about any other application, just use what you knows right.
I aint a pro

JeffKohn

• http://jeffk-photo.typepad.com
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2011, 11:32:55 am »

First, the Windows Photo Viewer has been ICC aware since Vista. It not only recognizes and respects embedded profiles in non-sRGB images, but will also use the display profile if it's correctly registered as the default for that display device. So I don't think that would explain what you're seeing unless there's something about the ICC profile created by i1Profiler that causes the Windows color system to choke on it.

Second, if it really is the case that your two-picture comparison shows with and without your display profile, that would be troubling to me because it would indicate a poorly-calibrated display. The display should be calibrated to be as accurate as possible, because the less the display profile has to do, the better. If your display profile is making such large tonal adjustments it's highly likely that you're going to get banding and other ugliness.
Jeff Kohn
[url=http://ww

shacharoren79

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2011, 03:58:58 am »

that's the answer i was looking. it was hard to believe that the photo viewer is not ICC aware.

but please understand that the difference between what i see in LR for example and what i see in the photo viewer are huge!

in the photo viewer i see an image which i roughly 2 stops darker, and like alot more reddish.

i find it hard to believe that only the profie "missing" will create such a result.

which leads me to the point of asking,

how can i verify that the profile created by the i1 profiler is accurate?

by the way, i ran the simplest calibration with lum of 120 D65 white.

Herb

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2011, 05:56:10 am »

I think that Photo Viewer may be able to cope with 'Version 2' profiles, but not 'Version 4'. Try profiling with Profile Settings > ICC Profile Version set to 'Version 2'. That should sort it.

pili

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2011, 01:05:11 pm »

for example, my web browser, Google chrome in my case, will it show colors correctly?

Web browser color management is still a mess. In my opinion, only Firefox gets it really right. Chrome for Windows is not color managed but the latest Chrome release for Mac seems to respect embedded v2 and v4 color profiles. Untagged images and page elements are still rendered on the full display gamut. I've written more about it here and I have also a web browser color management test in my site. Hope this helps.

shacharoren79

« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2011, 04:36:45 am »

well herb, nicely said! the photo viewer issue is due to the profile ver like you said.

i'm new to all this color manage thing so i'll be reading a lot soon.

thank you all.
Pages: [1]   Go Up