Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tethered storage location-camera detection time  (Read 1859 times)

tgall

Tethered storage location-camera detection time
« on: December 16, 2011, 09:15:00 am »

I'm new to LR, but liking what I see so far, but can't find any answers to the following two questions.

1-I know it can do this when importing images, but when shooting tethered, the images are placed into a single location on the drive. Any way to get LR to place the images at two locations (such as external drive) for immediate backup purposes? I'm shooting with a Nikon, so it doesn't record to the card. Makes me nervous with just a single copy on the drive till I get it backed up. I can just seeing the drive get corrupted at the end of a shoot--that's how my luck goes.

2-Nikon 300 and 300s.
Time for LR to detect:
D300s   90seconds
D300     8 seconds
When I plug the cameras in, Windows 7 x64 sees them immediately.  So if it gets hung--as everybody seems to be experiencing--and I pull the plug and reconnect to get it going again, I'm standing there singing the Jeopardy tune to my client for 90 seconds waiting for this thing to connect back up to the 300s. Embarrasing since I can't sing. Tried different cables, turning camera off first, stopping tether in LR first, etc. Anybody experiencing this or have any ideas on why it's taking LR so long to 'see' the camera?
And what's the big difference in the D300 as compared to the D300s?

Thanks
T.O.

Scott Hargis

• Scott Hargis Photo
Re: Tethered storage location-camera detection time
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2011, 12:04:45 pm »

I used to do this, and there were a few programs you could get that would "watch" a specific folder on your hard drive and duplicate it to any location you choose, whenever anything changes (or maybe it was just happening every 30 seconds, something like that). Can't for the life of me remember what the name of the one I was using...I stopped because it seemed to be slowing down my laptop.

These days, I just do an "export to catalog" at the end of the session and drop everything onto a Lacie Rugged drive, which then travels home in a separate case from the laptop.

Your camera should allow you to write simultaneously to a card, which would accomplish the same thing. I stopped doing that because I frequently disconnect my camera/laptop and everytime I would re-connect, it would take forever for the two devices to get past all the stored data on the card and re-establish the tether. Maybe LR 3.6 resolves this, because otherwise it's a great backup.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2011, 12:33:52 pm »

"Your camera should allow you to write simultaneously to a card" Apparently Nikon's SDK, which LR is using, doesn't allow this.

tgall

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2011, 04:19:06 pm »

Nope, can't write to the card with Nikon.

But putting it in a watched folder is a good idea.
Then LR can pull it out and put it somewhere else as well--I think I can get it to do this.

Now if someone can just come up with a 'why' as to it taking so long to see the D300s.
I've also noticed that the 300s takes about 2.3 seconds to write a raw file to card.
Same settings, same card, the D300 does it in about 1.3 seconds.
I called Nikon. They both have the same processor and same sensor inside. Latest firmware on both.
Can't see why there's a 100% time difference.

Anybody got a clue on that one.
Anyone with a 300s can give me a time on how long it takes to write a 12 bit uncompressed raw file to a card?
I'm using a SanDisk Extreme on my end.

Thanks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up