Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Text Control  (Read 3789 times)

Rob C

Text Control
« on: December 15, 2011, 08:23:15 am »

Hi -

I'm posting this image as nothing more than an imaginary, quickly-run-up example of the question I want to raise: using a primitive PS6, which is where I think I'm going to have to remain unless Santa has a fit of madness, can anyone advise how to alter the spacing between lines as in the case of the top two, the words True and Rock? I'd like to know how to run them closer together in height spacing, closer than the standard key clicking allows me to place them. Clearly, ain't done a whole heap of this stuff!

Any advice much appreciated!

Rob C 

john beardsworth

• My photography site
Re: Text Control
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2011, 08:44:04 am »

You might find it easiest to make separate text layers for each line of text.

Alternatively, select the text with the text tool and then reveal the Character palette. It's "Leading" that you'll need to adjust. Hopefully it is in PS6.

John

Rob C

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2011, 11:25:29 am »

Alternatively, select the text with the text tool and then reveal the Character palette. It's "Leading" that you'll need to adjust. Hopefully it is in PS6.

John

Thanks, John, I'll try that - if it exists in PS6!

I'd thought there would be a way of doing it as separate lines of text - which I think is what you suggest - but I find it very hard to guess exactly where the next line will start: before the actual letters appear, there's a vertical line which seems to be much taller than the height of the letters, so difficult to work it out. I suppose it could be done via the use of the grids as guides, but that becomes so slow and complicated that it's not worth the bother when it's supposed to be for fun!

Ciao -

Rob C

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2011, 12:10:32 pm »

Thanks, John, I'll try that - if it exists in PS6!

I'd thought there would be a way of doing it as separate lines of text - which I think is what you suggest - but I find it very hard to guess exactly where the next line will start: before the actual letters appear, there's a vertical line which seems to be much taller than the height of the letters, so difficult to work it out. I suppose it could be done via the use of the grids as guides, but that becomes so slow and complicated that it's not worth the bother when it's supposed to be for fun!

Ciao -

Rob C
Whenever I do text in PS, I do separate lines and then select each and move it to wherever I want it. I hope PS6 lets you do that.

Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Oldfox

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2011, 12:37:59 pm »

One vote for the Character palette.  You dont have to separate the lines. The more lines you have, it is easier to change the whole thing. Cant remember if Charater was in PS6. There are several controls which are quite easy to learn with just trying them.

Rob C

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2011, 01:19:47 pm »

Thanks - I'll try later on and discover what PS6 has in store for me!

Rob C

AFairley

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2011, 03:45:16 pm »

Yes, the only drawback is that the text palette only allows you to adjust overall leading and not paragraph spacing -- so if you want to add a half space between paragraphs, say, you have to cheat by inserting a blank character of the appropriate size or do selective leading adjustments.  Yeah, I know, it's a GRAPHICS program.  Still, would be useful now and then.....

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2011, 03:56:39 pm »

I assume by "text palette" you mean the Character palette. You aren't limited to overall settings but can select individual lines in a text object and apply leading to each independently.

AFairley

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2011, 07:21:04 pm »

I assume by "text palette" you mean the Character palette. You aren't limited to overall settings but can select individual lines in a text object and apply leading to each independently.
Right, but if you have a lot of blocks of text there is no global way to add or subtract white space between them.

Oldfox

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2011, 04:38:12 am »

Right, but if you have a lot of blocks of text there is no global way to add or subtract white space between them.
With then Paragraph palettte you can. There are a couple of things you have do. First you create a frame with the Horizontal Type Tool (you can see the frame in the picture below). Second there cannot be a CR (Enter key) in the paragraph text, only in the beginning of a paragraph. Then you set the spacing before (or after) the paragraph (50px in the picture).

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2011, 05:47:56 am »

With then Paragraph palettte you can.
Are you sure that's in PS6 ?

Oldfox

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2011, 08:12:24 am »

One vote for the Character palette.  Cant remember if Charater was in PS6.
No, I am not sure. It is a comment to AF's post to global changes to a text block.

Rob C

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2011, 11:29:06 am »

John

Thanks, John, I'd wondered and worried about the technique for years! Now I know...

Gracias!

Rob C

AFairley

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2011, 02:14:37 pm »

With then Paragraph palettte you can. There are a couple of things you have do. First you create a frame with the Horizontal Type Tool (you can see the frame in the picture below). Second there cannot be a CR (Enter key) in the paragraph text, only in the beginning of a paragraph. Then you set the spacing before (or after) the paragraph (50px in the picture).

Oldfox, thank you very much.  I'm somewhat (!) embarrassed that for all the times I've seen the Paragraph pallete that didn't sink in.  /Blush/
Pages: [1]   Go Up