Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Leica R mount?  (Read 12722 times)

marcmccalmont

Leica R mount?
« on: December 15, 2011, 03:48:23 am »

With all the talk about Leica M mount lenses on the Sony Nex 7 what about Leica R mount lenses? I know nothing about Leica's so I thought I'd ask. It seems the R lenses are reasonably priced on eBay compared to the M lenses.
Marc
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 04:35:10 am by marcmccalmont »
Marc McCalmont

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
Re: Leica R mount?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2011, 04:56:03 am »

Hi Marc,

Leica expert Erwin Puts puts the R-lenses in high regard. They should probably work much better than the M-lenses, but they may be physically larger.

Some of the finest lenses ever made were for the R-system.

Best regards
Erik

With all the talk about Leica M mount lenses on the Sony Nex 7 what about Leica R mount lenses? I know nothing about Leica's so I thought I'd ask. It seems the R lenses are reasonably priced on eBay compared to the M lenses.
Marc
Erik Kaffehr

telyt

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2011, 07:32:19 am »

Marc

There's a discussion of R lenses on the NEX cameras here:

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31732

marcmccalmont

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2011, 08:25:11 am »

Hi Marc,

Leica expert Erwin Puts puts the R-lenses in high regard. They should probably work much better than the M-lenses, but they may be physically larger.

Some of the finest lenses ever made were for the R-system.

Best regards
Erik

Erik
If you were to pick 3 reasonably priced lenses for a NEX 7 which would they be?
Thanks
Marc
Marc McCalmont

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2011, 02:33:39 pm »

Hi Marc,

My was more like a sideline comment, I'm neither NEX or Leica guy. A question I would ask, what do you want it for? The other question is, what is a reasonable price?

I would probably go with the 18-200 mm lens from Sony, but it is pretty big. It seems that it is one of the more decent lenses on the NEX.

The problem with the NEX is that it doesn't really pair up with my needs/wants. I have a bunch of Sony/Minolta lenses which I could use with the Alpha adaptors, but I guess that the Alpha 77 and the Alpha 99 presumably arriving sooner or later is a better fit for my needs.

Some good sites on lenses are:

http://www.photozone.de (in english)

and

http://kurtmunger.com/

Best regards
Erik

Erik
If you were to pick 3 reasonably priced lenses for a NEX 7 which would they be?
Thanks
Marc
Erik Kaffehr

Brian Hirschfeld

• Brian Hirschfeld Photography
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2011, 08:24:16 pm »

Firstly, Leica R lenses are indeed much larger and bulkier. But this is because they have different focal lengths including zooms and wide anger and what not. Frankly I think they would be rather inconvenient  to use on a m4/3 variant camera. If I were going to use them, I would get primes, since I could imagine there being major annoyance in attempting to zoom with lenses that are anything other then on a tripod...If I were to get some of these lenses I would most likely opt for the 19mm, 35mm Summicron or Summilux and the 80mm Summilux. These are all fast and extremely well made, tried and true, test and sharp.

Also keep in mind a lot of the cheaper lenses in this series were made in Japan to "Leica specifications" which is not the same thing as being "Made in Germany" by Leica...just saying...I'm sure someone will get mad about that.

The real reason I see to buy R lenses and use them on a m4/3 or NEX or whatever is because you believe Leica will release a digital solution for the R lenses (other then an R8/R9 with a DMR which is pretty cool btw if you have never used one def jump at the chance) and you either think all the lenses will increase in value and you can make a profit, or because you plan to use them on there.

If you only want to use a m4/3 or NEX then look at some nice Voigtlander, Ziess or used M mount lenses, they are small light and some are reasonably priced and most will do great on smaller sensors. Theres lots of info online, for example Steve Huff Photo on topics like this.
www.brianhirschfeldphotography.com / www.flickr.com/brianhirschfeldphotography
---------------------------------------------------------------
Leica / Nikon / Hasselblad / Mamiya ~ Proud IQ180 owner

marcmccalmont

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2011, 09:29:26 pm »

If I invest in a few "R" lenses I can also use them on my 5DII so I would get more use out of them than just on the NEX7
Marc
Marc McCalmont

Brian Hirschfeld

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2011, 07:31:52 am »

Yes, there are adapters, but it would be easier to use the Leitax adapters to modify the lens to work better with your 5D Mrk II....You can always change it back to Leica R.

Alex MacPherson

• http://alexmacpherson.com
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2011, 05:31:43 pm »

I shoot with Leica R lenses with my Canon 5Dii exclusively. I love them. I use a Cameraquest Leica/Canon adapter.
I love the way the lenses draw the image. Manual focus isn't difficult with the proper screen in the 5D and with the
NEX ... the peaking function makes it brain-dead simple.

I use a kipon nex/eos adapter with the cameraquest adapter to attach the lenses to my Nex 5N. They are fantastic
lenses for not a lot of money (compared to M lenses)

I currently own :
Leica 35-70/F4 Macro Vario-Elmar-R
Leica 90mm/2.8 Elmarit-R
Leica 135mm/2.8 Elmarit-R

I didn't go with Leitax adapters because I sometimes like to shoot film with an R8. Leitax adapters are superb. I have
a bunch of Nikon glass that I put Leitax adapters on to shoot on EOS (for video)
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 05:34:26 pm by Alex MacPherson »
Alex MacPherson

Visit My Website

marcmccalmont

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2011, 07:34:17 pm »

Yes, there are adapters, but it would be easier to use the Leitax adapters to modify the lens to work better with your 5D Mrk II....You can always change it back to Leica R.
I'm thinking that the Leitax adapter to EOS is the way to go and use an EOS to NEX adapter on the NEX7
Marc
Marc McCalmont

Brian Hirschfeld

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2011, 04:51:59 pm »

I'm thinking that the Leitax adapter to EOS is the way to go and use an EOS to NEX adapter on the NEX7
Marc

Certainly if you have Cannon cameras, or think you will.....also Leitax has in-depth reviews and great pictures showing you how to convert your lenses, I haven't ever done it though..

K.C.

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2011, 11:13:39 pm »

Also keep in mind a lot of the cheaper lenses in this series were made in Japan to "Leica specifications" which is not the same thing as being "Made in Germany" by Leica...just saying...I'm sure someone will get mad about that. 

If memory serves me some were made in Canada too. But they're all great lenses.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2011, 03:48:39 am »

Hi,

Some Leica R lenses were made by Minolta. 16/2.8 semi fisheye, 24/2.8, 75-200/4. One was built by Sigma: 28-85/3.5-4.5 (unsure about aperture)

Best regards
Erik

If memory serves me some were made in Canada too. But they're all great lenses.
Erik Kaffehr

lowep

• http://sites.google.com/site/peterlowefoto/
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2011, 04:42:37 am »

maybe where the photographer was made has more to do with how well Leica R lenses work than where the lens was made  :D

I also have a couple of old Leica R lenses that I would like to use on a digital camera - maybe this rumored next fullframe sony alpha/nex next year?

« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 04:47:50 am by lowep »
Pages: [1]   Go Up