Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Shadow Play  (Read 1090 times)

Rob C

Shadow Play
« on: December 15, 2011, 03:36:47 am »

Shakespearean.

Rob C

Isaac

Re: Shadow Play
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2011, 02:50:12 pm »

Like you, I've been enjoying the pictures Michael has been posting with his NEX-7 rolling review, and they set me wondering in general terms about his current practice.

I'm sure much depends on the particular situation, and varies greatly day to day, but the kind of questions I have are about how many photos taken versus how many photos kept, how many photos taken of a particular subject versus how many photos kept? Just a general impression of how hard a scene is being worked to make a satisfactory picture.

(I also wondered about how using NEX-7 might influence picture taking, but I assume that after so many decades it's more a matter of each new camera fitting into a well-grooved approach rather than fitting the approach to the new camera.)

michael

Re: Shadow Play
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2011, 03:20:54 pm »

It's really not possible to generalize. Sometimes there's one shot that captures the moment, sometimes it needs to evolve.

This was an evolving shot. I saw the set-up, and started taking frames, probably about a dozen over a two minute period. It was a matter of then choosing the best combination of profiles of the people at the top and the shadows of the people at the bottom. It ended when the shadow people left.

Michael
Pages: [1]   Go Up