Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Required books  (Read 4018 times)

tad

Required books
« on: December 14, 2011, 03:21:24 pm »

I have been on a hiatus from shooting and have some questions. I really enjoyed from camera to print the first time around and the new version is not out yet, but I'm sure it will be great. As good as these videos are however, what books 1-3 volumes, would cover the same material. I find it easier to use books as a reference when I'm sitting in front of the screen. Any suggestions? Please help

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
Re: Required books
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2011, 03:43:43 pm »

If you are using Lightroom, then Scott Kelby's book The Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 3 Book for Digital Photographers comes highly recommended. It's more for learning all the ins and outs of Lightroom (not just printing) but has many tips for printing as well.

That being said, I find much of what I need to learn about printing on the internet at sites such as Lu-La (this one). Also Eric Chan has some good resources: http://people.csail.mit.edu/ericchan/ (and he's an ACR-LR "guru").

I would be highly remiss in not mentioning Jeff Schewe's books in collaboration with Bruce Fraser on Camera Raw and PS CS5 and the book on Sharpening (http://www.adobepress.com/authors/bio.asp?a=7C76D434-9BFD-4454-AB55-850E49FB3A50). There are also a list of articles at the same URL.

You can also check out my Lightroom Visual Guide available online.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 06:07:56 pm by luxborealis »
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

Brian Hirschfeld

• Brian Hirschfeld Photography
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2011, 08:28:59 pm »

Kelby Training is a really great resource, that I use whenever I am sick and bedridden or want to learn about something...The videos on LuLa are really great but they are limited in their topics at the moment. Honestly, I find Scott Kelby, at least in his videos, to be totally insufferable, however thankfully he has managed to get many great people to teach really great web-classes on many topics from basic image editing to advanced image editing, and studio lighting to macro photography. Definetely something to look at, Also I really enjoy searching for things I'm interested in online and not bothering with books. Because when your online you can always let your fancies take you down different roads and research things you have interest on more quickly....
www.brianhirschfeldphotography.com / www.flickr.com/brianhirschfeldphotography
---------------------------------------------------------------
Leica / Nikon / Hasselblad / Mamiya ~ Proud IQ180 owner

tad

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2011, 10:36:53 pm »

Thanks for the info. I can't believe how much I forgot in the last 3 years. (new job..no time). I haven't used my 3800 at all. Printed an old pic today on it and the colors were completely off. SOme of the cartridges were 4 years old. Time to reload I guess. I am going to have to relearn a lot about photoshop and printing.

Thanks

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2012, 10:34:59 pm »

I should mention that I visited a friend who was aglow with a newfound fervor for photography.  He had the LuLa Camera to Print thing just sort of playing in the background and I'll be darned if I didn't learn something useful in spite of myself!  Would be nice to have something like that on cassette tapes to while away the weary hours on the road.  You LA folks know what I'm talkin' about.  Much safer than texting.

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012, 10:12:35 am »

I haven't read Camera to Print so don’t have a comparison, but one of my favorite PS related books is called Layers: The Complete Guide to Photoshop’s Most Powerful Feature by Matt Kloskowski.

It is an excellent guide.
Pages: [1]   Go Up