Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: P2 with Avid confusion  (Read 1460 times)

fredjeang

P2 with Avid confusion
« on: December 14, 2011, 03:04:27 pm »

Hi,

I don't get this:

I can import through AMA P2 projects. I have to link both video and audio MXF that are located in separate folders.
but I don't get this: it would edit P2 natively in 720p or in 1080 converted to DNxHD  :o

The original footage being 1080 I don't get why AMA is considering it's nativeness as 720 but then get the full resolution using DNxHD ?  

There is something I'm obviously missing here...

Ok, and even more weired and oscur: both material, the 720p P2 and 1080 DNxHD are absolutly identical in terms of quality...

Have you ever worked with P2 material in Media Composer?
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 03:11:38 pm by fredjeang »

tho_mas

Re: P2 with Avid confusion
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2011, 03:38:57 pm »

probably only an issue with incorrect Metadata?? Just a guess...
I would place this question over at the Avid forum (one of the best internet forums  I konw of. Strongly focused on workflow solutions and serious technical advice).

http://community.avid.com/forums/

fredjeang

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2011, 04:06:18 pm »

Solved! It was a metadata little issue because it didn't make any sense. I've re-linked the clip to AMA and works perfectly with the right metadatas.

At least this experienced showed me that if you disable AMA, import P2 will reappear in the menu wich I ignored that fact.
Then it also showed the excelence of the convertion to DNxHD (in this case 175x), really really good quality footage, no slow-down.

And then I've been very impressed by the fact that if you link via AMA a (this time) 720 P2 material and boost it into a 1080 project with DNxHD, it bloody stands still, almost unnoticiable, no softening nor visual quality loss. (unless you are watching the movie with a loupe in front of the screen)

It gives me more confidence to ingest 720 footage on a 1080 timeline in Avid.

tho_mas

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2011, 04:19:10 pm »

In general I am finding 720p integrates quite well into 1080 footgage... depending on the purposes.
For instance slow motions  shot at 720p50 with a hacked GH2 looks really good in a 1080p25 project... as you mostly don't expect a slomo to be extremely sharp (well, maybe in sports. But "film-like" content doesn't have to look extremely sharp, quite the contrary).

« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 04:21:29 pm by tho_mas »
Pages: [1]   Go Up