Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Eye One Pro upgrade advice  (Read 4852 times)

BerniesDad

Eye One Pro upgrade advice
« on: December 12, 2011, 04:30:18 pm »

Hi Everyone,

I own an older Eye One Pro, which on the label mentions Rev A, so I'll assume that's pertinent.  (I think it was sold as the i1 Photo kit.)

I noticed that I can't make accurate print profiles with it anymore, so was considering my upgrade options.

I called XRite, but was unable to ascertain whether the hardware has changed significantly in the new Pro.  (But I have seen mention on this forum about a "Rev D," so it does make me wonder.)

I'm guessing as this model must be over 6-7 years old, it's due for a recalibration, which is $200 or so.

Then I would need to purchase the iPublish Upgrade A for $400.  So $600 total.

Is that worth it?  Or should I just buy the Colormunki for $450?  Anyone have experience with both?

(As I have an iD2 from NEC with my monitor, I only need this for use with RGB printing profiles on my Epson.)

I currently own an Epson 2880, but may go for a 7900 soon, don't think that should matter, but just in case.

Thanks for your help.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 04:32:55 pm by BerniesDad »

PhilipCummins

Re: Eye One Pro upgrade advice
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2011, 07:54:43 pm »

I called XRite, but was unable to ascertain whether the hardware has changed significantly in the new Pro.  (But I have seen mention on this forum about a "Rev D," so it does make me wonder.)
Then I would need to purchase the iPublish Upgrade A for $400.  So $600 total.
Is that worth it?  Or should I just buy the Colormunki for $450?  Anyone have experience with both?

Apparently the Rev B through D i1Pro versions are faster at sampling (2x faster) over the Rev A.
I'd recommend purchasing the i1Publish Upgrade A (for the i1Photo Pro/SG - NB i1Photo LT requires Upgrade B) as the software is significantly superior to the ColorMunki Photo software in general for profiling. (I have both BTW). If you were happy with just basic profiling (ie, scan, create profile, no real adjustments or tweaking) the ColorMunki Photo would be fine.

mrenters

• http://www.teckelworks.com/
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2011, 07:24:50 am »

I have an i1Pro rev A as well and bought the i1Profiler upgrade A package and I'm happy with it.  I use the i1Pro on my NEC display with the spectraview software instead of the i1Display 2 that came with the monitor.  This way I have one instrument doing all the profiling.

Martin

BerniesDad

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2011, 05:29:27 pm »

Thanks for the help guys.  Appreciate it.

I did find this info regarding the different i1 Pro revisions that I thought was useful:

In April 2005, GretagMacbeth (now part of X-Rite) began shipping a revised version of the i1 Pro Spectrophotometer in all end user packages. The Revision B instrument is much faster than the older Revision A instrument, yet there is no difference in accuracy between the two. The Revision B instrument also has improved Teflon pads on the bottom to reduce paper scratching if you use the old style ruler.

In August 2006 Rev D was introduced, with changes made to the material content to comply with the Europe RoHS legislation. Parts of the components were replaced with new materials to make them lead-free. There was no change to performance in Rev D instruments; in terms of speed and accuracy they are the same as Rev B. In order to clearly identify the i1 Pro devices in the field a new revision had to be introduced.

Martin, I was using my i1 Pro on my Eizo CE240W with the Eizo software. I tried the NEC iD2 which came with my PA301W on the Eizo, again with the Eizo software, and got a much lower Delta E, below 1.  It had been much worse with the i1 Pro.  Since we both have Rev A, you may want to try your iD2 and see if you get better results.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 10:50:31 pm by BerniesDad »

fjmcsu

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2011, 10:53:16 pm »

I just upgraded my i1Pro to Publish using the A upgrade. I use an i1iO and the Pro worked well without any issues using v1.2. My spectro is at least 6-7 years old if not older. I am happy with the profiles I created this weekend for an RGB printer which I use to produce bi-foldcards. I have yet to try it on my 7900 but will soon . I generally use the StudioPrint RIP software for printing  since version 9 (currently 14) as well as their profiling software module Color GP.
Pages: [1]   Go Up