Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Print settings not remembered by print template  (Read 3399 times)

Jan Morales

• Jan Morales Photography
Print settings not remembered by print template
« on: December 11, 2011, 12:15:52 pm »

I have seen from many reliable sources, including this web site, that one of the many things saved and recalled in print templates are print settings, but for some reason that is not happening for me. Perhaps someone can tell me why?

I have a new iMac with everything freshly installed, including Mac OS X Lion and Lightroom 3, but this was happening to me on my previous iMac which I had for years as well.

I have several print templates, one for each paper type and size, e.g. Ilford GFS 17x22, Ilford GFS 13x19, Epson Premium Luster 8.5x11, etc. I also have several print settings presets made, one for each paper and whether color or Advanced B&W. When each print template was made one of the things I set was the print settings preset for that paper.

The problem is that whenever I choose a print template to use, the print setting is not changed to match what it was when I created the template. It stays at whatever it was set to before. Strangely, if I then change the print settings preset, the print template name is un-highlighted, suggesting that Lightroom knows the current settings no longer match the template. But no amount of updating the template will make it recall the proper print settings when I select the template.

Has anyone else seen this behavior?

schrodingerscat

Re: Print settings not remembered by print template
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2011, 01:05:07 pm »

I'm having the same problem with printer profiles. They keep reverting to to the Epson profile, despite setting it up with a custom. Took me awhile to figure out why prints were coming out dark.

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2011, 03:18:45 pm »

I have several print templates, one for each paper type and size, e.g. Ilford GFS 17x22, Ilford GFS 13x19, Epson Premium Luster 8.5x11, etc. I also have several print settings presets made, one for each paper and whether color or Advanced B&W. When each print template was made one of the things I set was the print settings preset for that paper.

That's where you're failing...the Templates in the print module capture ALL settings when you save them. You can't select one template and then a second template and expect anything from the first template to be used because EVERYTHING in the second template will now be used. This is NOT like Presets from Develop where you can create custom subsets and update only those settings stored in the [reset. A template needs to have ALL settings saved in the template.

Jan Morales

• Jan Morales Photography
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2011, 11:26:39 pm »

That's where you're failing...the Templates in the print module capture ALL settings when you save them. You can't select one template and then a second template and expect anything from the first template to be used because EVERYTHING in the second template will now be used. This is NOT like Presets from Develop where you can create custom subsets and update only those settings stored in the [reset. A template needs to have ALL settings saved in the template.

The behavior you describe is what I want and is not happening for me. I guess I wasn't clear--or maybe I'm not understanding you? Here's an example:

I have two print settings presets: "Ilford Galerie GFS" and "Epson Premium Photo Luster".

I then create two templates: one called "Ilford Galerie GFS 8.5x11" using the "Ilford Galerie GFS" preset, and one called "Epson Premium Luster 8.5x11" using the "Epson Premium Photo Luster" preset.

With that done, let's say that I select the "Ilford Galerie GFS" print settings preset, and then select the "Epson Premium Luster 8.5x11" template. After I select the template, the print settings will still be set to the "Ilford Galerie GFS" preset. It won't have been changed to the "Epson Premium Photo Luster" preset.

No matter what presets I use to create the templates, selecting any template never changes the print settings preset. I always have to select both a template and a print settings preset (if the template needs a different preset). Selecting a template never changes the print settings preset to the preset that was saved with the template.

Any idea why this might be happening?

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2011, 12:36:15 am »

Any idea why this might be happening?

Nope...I still don't understand EXACTLY where you are selecting which output template you are creating...what you are describing doesn't jib with my experience. Each template will store ALL template settings as well as all driver settings. If it doesn't for you, I would suggest user error somewhere.

Just understated a template will capture and store EVERY setting you've made in both LR as well as the drivers.

If it ain't working for you, check your settings and how you've saved the template.

Jeremy Roussak

• Global Moderator
    • site
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2011, 03:38:47 am »

Print settings presets (defined using the Presets menu in the Print dialog, which I think is what you are describing) and LR presets are not compatible. If you have a print settings preset enabled, LR doesn't appear able to override some of its attributes.

The best thing to do is to abandon the print settings presets, which are useful in other applications, and rely solely on LR's presets; they do everything you need. Leave the Presets menu in the Print dialog on Standard.

Michael and Jeff make passing reference to this problem, without elaborating, in one of the recently-released episodes of Camera to Print and Screen v2.

Jeremy

kingscurate

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2011, 07:20:36 am »

I think your doing what i did when i upgraded from LR 1 to LR3, I had problems with having to alter print settings all the time. This is something i didnt have to do in LR1.  What to do is create your template, set all the settings, page setup option, and all settings on the right hand section, then go back to your template on the left and right click and click update using current settings.
Hope this is what you were getting at.
I aint a pro

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2011, 04:15:28 pm »

I have two print settings presets: "Ilford Galerie GFS" and "Epson Premium Photo Luster".

I then create two templates: one called "Ilford Galerie GFS 8.5x11" using the "Ilford Galerie GFS" preset, and one called "Epson Premium Luster 8.5x11" using the "Epson Premium Photo Luster" preset.

Don't use a preset in the Epson driver.  Lightroom works better if you leave this to default and just set everything up based on the template.

Sort of a long read, but I wrote a blog article about this very issue ..."Epson Printer Settings when printing from Lightroom"
Pages: [1]   Go Up