Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Leaf and Mac for Xmass  (Read 7440 times)

ctz

Re: Leaf and Mac for Xmass
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2011, 08:06:57 am »

I haven't yet done the macperformanceguide bench mark but probably should when I get the chance.

I'm looking forward to this :)

Since Jean-luc has 12-15K budget I think the Mac Pro is the better option and if he can hold off a short while the new model with Thunderbolt will make sense.

Right. Now I figure that with this amount of cash you can have an iMac AND a MACPRO! Both upgraded with all the goodies!

I really do believe that the rumour of Mac Pro EOL is a hype building exercise by the marketing genius of Apple.

I hope so.
I'm still a MacPro fan per se, but this year I've chose iMac route for a reason.

LATER EDIT:
Sorry, I've forgot that JeanLuc also needs a MacBook Pro in this combination...
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 08:44:45 am by ctz »

DeeJay

« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2011, 08:35:25 am »

The current Macbook Pro is a great addition for location shooting where you can't use the Mac Pro. You can actually fit 16GB of RAM to these which is great for a location system. I port my Mac Pro around in a Pelican 1640 where possible. Fine but cumbersome. But working on this system is a godsend on a busy shoot. There's a lot of good info about the new macbook pros at that same site, macperformanceguide.

jeanlucco

« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2011, 06:14:08 pm »

Dear All,
thank you so much for all your feedback. I have been reading/looking/searching/... for weeks, based on the last advice from the LuLa I think that I will do the following.
- buy a macbook pro 15" with Anti-glare high res screen, 8GB Ram, 512 GB SSD, approx 3500 usd. I will be able to shoot on location, take advantage of the FW800 for my LEAF and mainly get familiar with he Apple World.
- Wait end of January/beginning Feb to buy a Thunderbolt storage unit.
- IMHO, the thunderbolt technology will spread and very soon it will be possible to find more screen, storage,.... I tend to agree that the the Mac Pro will be updated soon. Meantime I will buy a license C1 for apple, put on both the Macbook Pro and the IMac of my wife. Her Imac is approx. one year old, it was the top end in last December. Should be OK for the start, hopefully either the mac pro will be updated or the Imac will take over step by step.
Cheers, Jean-Luc

mediumcool

« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2011, 06:55:33 pm »

Dear All,
thank you so much for all your feedback. I have been reading/looking/searching/... for weeks, based on the last advice from the LuLa I think that I will do the following.
- buy a macbook pro 15" with Anti-glare high res screen, 8GB Ram, 512 GB SSD, approx 3500 usd. I will be able to shoot on location, take advantage of the FW800 for my LEAF and mainly get familiar with he Apple World.

Matte is a good move; my six-year-old MBP 1.83 has much better viewing angles than my 13" 2.4 C2D’s shiny screen. I find FW400 on my old Aptus22 to be quite fast—FW800 will be much better.

Wait end of January/beginning Feb to buy a Thunderbolt storage unit.
- IMHO, the thunderbolt technology will spread and very soon it will be possible to find more screen, storage,.... 

Cheers, Jean-Luc

Should be more Thunderbolt choice as time goes on, and [fingers crossed] better pricing!
FaceBook facebook.com/ian.goss.39   www.mlkshk.com/user/mediumcool

pixjohn

« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2011, 10:14:37 pm »

I tend to agree that the the Mac Pro will be updated soon.

Why do you think the Mac Pro will be updated soon? Look at the history, Apple has delayed upgrades of he Mac Pro longer then any time in its release history.

I have 2 Macbook pros 17 inch for location with anti glare screens, 1 older and 1 new model. The new model blows the older Macbook away. I also have a mac mini to run a second monitor setup. When I am not on location I am using the newest Macpro 8 core with 16gb ram.

DeeJay

« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2011, 12:47:32 pm »

I tend to agree that the the Mac Pro will be updated soon.
Apple has delayed upgrades of he Mac Pro longer then any time in its release history.

Intel has only just made the Xeons available. Now Apple needs to implement them into a system and shoe horn it with thunderbolt which is GPU and Graphics card reliant/dependant.

It has, for sometime, been rumoured to be a mid 2012 release and I think that still fits.

ctz

« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2011, 12:01:50 am »

DeeJay,
Let's cut the cheese. Did you took the benchmark or what?
:)
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up