Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightroom and RIP  (Read 6087 times)

PBC

• http://www.philcorley.com
Lightroom and RIP
« on: December 10, 2011, 09:19:20 am »

I am looking at using ColorBurst's RIP with Lightroom and my Epson 3880. What I am trying to understand is how my workflow will change.

Currently when I print from Lightroom I resize to 360 or 720 in the print module and then print.

With using the RIP, I am assuming the best workflow is to export from Lightroom and drop the exported TIFF into the RIP's queue?  If so, is it still the same resizing process and I should resize to 360 or 720 (depending on the source resolution)?  Also, what Color Space should in Export to; I am assuming leaving it in ProPhoto RGB?

Appreciate all advice and guidance to help me understand this change

Many thanks

Phil

jwlimages

Re: Lightroom and RIP
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2011, 09:08:01 pm »

With using the RIP, I am assuming the best workflow is to export from Lightroom and drop the exported TIFF into the RIP's queue?
-- yes, export a tiff into the ColorBurst Hot Folder (v.7.3 supports .psd's & .jpgs)
I have found that 360ppi is all the resolution needed, even for landscapes with "high frequency" detail.

Also, what Color Space should in Export to; I am assuming leaving it in ProPhoto RGB?
-- use the "Ink & Color" button in your print Environment to set up ColorBurst to "Enable ICC Color Management", and it will recognize & correctly use any ICC profile embedded in your tiff, jPeg or .psd file.

What you *can't do successfully is have ColorBurst act like a printer, where you "print" from LightRoom directly to the RIP. (have to use the Hot Folder approach instead).

HTH

John
JWL Images
Emeryville, CA

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2011, 11:01:20 pm »

I am looking at using ColorBurst's RIP with Lightroom and my Epson 3880.

For what purpose, exactly?

PBC

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2011, 05:15:59 am »

Good question  :)

I am updating some of my equipment, including adding the 3880 and talking to a number of landscape photographers they all recommend ColorBurst's RIP as they consistently get better quality images out of the RIP than they do from using the Epson drivers; albeit a small difference, but a difference.  Given these recommendations, I am looking at getting the RIP to go with the 3880 (95% of my printing is landscape images).

Appreciate a lot of the advantages of RIPs have gone away with the latest printers and drivers, but that extra bit of quality is tempting me.

Phil

buckshot

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2011, 10:29:52 am »

As a (once) long time user of the Imageprint RIP (arguably the best RIP for fine-art printing), I would say keep your money in your pocket.

Lightroom + Photoshop (for softproofing) + Good custom printer profiles = As good as the IP RIP for anyone without a lupe (i.e. the real world of paying customers) on the current generation of printers.

(Hopefully LR4 will have softproofing, in which case the workflow gets even easier).

If you use a lot of different papers then a RIP could save you money - since the IP RIP gives you access to a gazillion 'free' profiles for pretty much any paper out there (maybe Colorburst does as well?) Also, the IP RIP is pretty frugal with ink, so if you're a really high volume printer you may save some $ that way too.

Schewe

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2011, 03:25:33 pm »

I am updating some of my equipment, including adding the 3880 and talking to a number of landscape photographers they all recommend ColorBurst's RIP as they consistently get better quality images out of the RIP than they do from using the Epson drivers; albeit a small difference, but a difference.

So who are these supposed experts? ColorBurst is really only useful for doing CMYK proofing. That's what it's designed for. Do you possible mean ColorByte's ImagePrint? Some people think ImagePrint beats the driver. I don't, but some do. But I really think the ColorBurst rip will be a waste for what you are doing.

jwlimages

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2011, 06:27:13 pm »

ColorBurst is really only useful for doing CMYK proofing. That's what it's designed for.
Hi Jeff.

Have to disagree here - yes, it's great for proofing, but not limited to that (not designed to be limited to that, either).

It can output excellent presentation prints, fine art prints, pretty pictures - whatever you want to call them. In my experience, the key difference is control - *if the user has a spectro (UV-cut, unfortunately) and is willing to devote some time, linearizing & building custom profiles provides really comprehensive control of the print process - and great output. I think you need to "roll your own" custom profiles though - just using the RIP with supplied "canned" profiles has the same limitation as using Epson's driver with only the supplied profiles.

Granted, it's not as simple as printing straight out of LR to the Epson driver. But then you don't get "bit" as often by OS updates messing with color management in the print stream, either... ;)

Regards,

John
JWL Images
Emeryville, CA

Schewe

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2011, 06:51:16 pm »

Have to disagree here - yes, it's great for proofing, but not limited to that (not designed to be limited to that, either).

But it's specifically designed to be a proofing solution...I've used it on previous printers and don't disagree it can be useful when working in a Photoshop centric workflow but the use of it in a Lightroom workflow offers a lot less. If you're gonna do custom profiles the question is can you get better results from ColorByte or the driver? Depends on how good you are at making profiles and soft proofing. I get all I want from the Epson driver...YMMV

PBC

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2011, 05:58:07 am »

Thanks guys, appreciate the comments. I think the best bet is to try the demo and see if I can see a difference and as you say I may save myself some money.

Phil

jmwscot

• http://www.johnwoodphotowork.com
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2011, 06:45:55 am »

I agree with Jeff. I purchased Imageprint a few years ago. I was using it when I had the Epson 2100. It really comes into its own for doing tiling - breaking an image up into 'tiles' to piece together in large billboards etc. Imageprint claimed their profiles were better than Epson's and that bronzing was reduced. Well the profiles were different but not better and the bronzing was still there and in B&W was awful. With the 3800/3880 using Epson's own profiles and paper the results are getting pretty near to perfection. You would be wasting your money and adding unnecessary complication to your workflow. Try the demo it by all means but be very sceptical.

John

tomrock

• http://tomrockwell.com
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2011, 10:11:45 am »

Doesn't the ColorBurst RIP that's bundled with the 3880 only support Epson media? Something to be aware of if you want to use other papers.

jwlimages

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2011, 08:47:08 pm »

Hmm, some confusion here about whether people are talking ColorBurst RIP (XProof) or ColorByte's RIP (ImagePrint). I was referring to the former. With the full version of the ColorBurst RIP - X-Proof - you can linearize your printer & create your own custom profiles. IIRC, with ImagePrint you must use their supplied profiles or pay them to make one for you.

Doesn't the ColorBurst RIP that's bundled with the 3880 only support Epson media?
-- yes, you can't create profiles yourself, and the supplied profiles are for (primarily if not exclusively) Epson papers. Still can work pretty well for CMYK proofing for offset, as Jeff described, but pretty limited for a photographer. And if you want to print out of LightRoom, I agree the Epson driver is probably a better bet than the bundled RIP.

Regards,

John
JWL Images
Emeryville, CA
Pages: [1]   Go Up