Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ACR color vs Photoshop color  (Read 6955 times)

Paz

ACR color vs Photoshop color
« on: December 09, 2011, 06:01:46 pm »

When I open RAW images via Bridge, and then select one to edit in Adobe Camera RAW, the colors in ACR are very different from the colors in Photoshop. (CS5)

Below: I took a screenshot of an image opened (via Bridge) in ACR.  No edits.  I simply clicked 'open', then made a screen shot that shows the difference between the colors in ACR vs Photoshop.

I don't feel like I can make edits to the RAW file when what I'm seeing there is so different from what I see in Photoshop.  I believe my color preferences are correct in Photoshop.  I cannot enable 'Suite Color Management', since my various Adobe products have been purchased separately.  Shouldn't ACR color still match Photoshop color?

thanks for any insight as to what I might be doing wrong,

Paz

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
Re: ACR color vs Photoshop color
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2011, 06:19:33 pm »

Shouldn't ACR color still match Photoshop color?

Yes...and it does for me (assuming PS's color management settings are correct).

The only thing I can think of is your display profile being corrupted or suboptimal.

Chris_Brown

• Smile dammit!
    • Chris Brown Photography
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2011, 07:25:31 pm »

That's very strange. The colors in ACR and Photoshop should match.   >:(

Check your color settings in Photoshop (control-shift-k). Do the same in Bridge. Make sure they match. This won't fix the problem, but should be done anyway. I would make a custom color setting and apply it to both programs.

Check the preferences in Bridge: Under "Output", turn on "Preserve Embedded Profile".

In ACR, set the output profile to that of Photoshop (e.g., Adobe RGB, Prophoto, etc.).

Let us know what happens.
~ CB

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2011, 07:49:58 pm »

... I believe my color preferences are correct in Photoshop...

So, what are they? Screenshot of it, perhaps?

davidh202

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2011, 09:18:01 pm »

When I open RAW images via Bridge, and then select one to edit in Adobe Camera RAW, the colors in ACR are very different from the colors in Photoshop. (CS5)
Paz
Is the PS file your showing the same as the one you see in Bridge in the preview?

Are you comparing by opening the file in Photoshop and bypassing ACR, or to the file being opened in ACR first and opened in PS from ACR (open Image).
ACR will apply some default settings when you open an image, and if you ever created new defaults in ACR, the ACR image will be different than the same file opened in PS and bypassing ACR since it doesn't have those settings applied unless you have saved them during an edit in ACR.
Did you ever change your ACR 'default settings' or camera calibration settings in ACR as per screen shot ?
Try resetting ACR defaults

I can easily duplicate the look of the RAW being  shown in ACR  by taking the file opened in PS, and increasing brightness and saturation so it's possible you have ACR applying settings to what you are viewing as your RAW file when you open it in ACR and the PS view is the actual RAW image.Your modified posted 'PS' image below

« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 10:03:43 pm by davidh202 »

Paz

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2011, 10:08:28 pm »

Control+shift+k in Photoshop:

Control+shift+k in Bridge:

Bridge ACR preferences:

Photoshop ACR preferences:

Bridge Output:

Bridge Preferences Advanced:

Bridge 4.0.5.11

These settings are in place now and were in place when I made the screenshots posted above.

Paz

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2011, 10:11:03 pm »

Are you comparing by opening the file in Photoshop and bypassing ACR, or to the file being opened in ACR first and opened in PS from ACR (open Image).

David,

The second, I believe.

I open Bridge, click on a RAW file to select it.  Click the camera shutter leaves icon in the Bridge header bar.  The image is available for editing in ACR.  In the example I posted earlier, I did not make any edits.  I only clicked 'open image.'  The image in Photoshop has less saturation and is darker.

Did you ever change your ACR 'default settings' or camera calibration settings in ACR as per screen shot ?

I have no idea.

Try resetting ACR defaults

Okay.

Edit:

I've just looked carefully at your first screenshot.  I searched for prefs under Edit on the menu bar.  I'll check out the dropdown and see what's what.

thanks,

Paz
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 10:13:35 pm by Paz »

davidh202

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2011, 10:22:41 pm »

Is the thumbnail preview of the RAW in Brigge the same as the one in PS or the same as the one in ACR?
Is there a little circle with lines and triangles next to the RAW thumb in Bridge, that would indicate you did previous edits in ACR that were saved to the Raw file.
All the program settings your showing look OK .(defaults)

Paz

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2011, 10:37:16 pm »

Is there a little circle with lines and triangles next to the RAW thumb in Bridge, that would indicate you did previous edits in ACR that were saved to the Raw file.

Yes, there is a circle with lines and a triangle next to this particular file.  (I did not know that's what it means!)

But, I didn't like what I got and thought I'd returned the file to the original state by clicking both "as shot" and "default".  Having re-set the file to original status, is it still possible earlier editing failures were applied?

Is the thumbnail preview of the RAW in Bridge the same as the one in PS or the same as the one in ACR?

I'll have to look again.

Paz

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2011, 10:39:03 pm »

I have reset ACR defaults now.

thank you,

Paz

Paz

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2011, 10:51:07 pm »

Re-setting ACR defaults seems to have fixed things!!!!!

Thank you so much!  I've been struggling with this for months.

Paz

davidh202

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2011, 11:16:32 pm »

Glad that's all it was. ;)

ACR saves the edits in a sidecar XMP file,the circle indicates that edits were made.Unless you choose to remove them,those edits stay with the file and are always updated if you do further edits later on. If you crop in ACR, that will also be indicated in the info next to the thumb in Bridge.
If you right click on a thumb in Bridge, you will see on the dropdown list about halfway down, says 'Develop settings',
click that and you have a number of choices ,one of which will completely clear any previous edit settings that were made to the file  if you wish to do so, the other choices are self explanatory.
David
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 11:25:28 pm by davidh202 »

Paz

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2011, 12:53:41 am »

Is the thumbnail preview of the RAW in Bridge the same as the one in PS or the same as the one in ACR?

Now that I've reset ACR defaults, all three images look the same. (Which is wonderful!)  So, I can't say with 100% certainty, but the way I remember it, Bridge previews and ACR looked very much alike.  It was only when I opened something in Photoshop that I wondered what the heck had happened.  I had quit trying to edit anything in ACR at all.  Everything looked different before opening in Photoshop, itself.

I tried making some awful adjustments to some RAW files, and do see that edits DO stay with a file, even if 'default' and 'as shot' are clicked later.  It's great to know that to really get back to the original, the right click>Develop Settings>clear will truly return the file to default.  However, FWIW, I also noticed the circle with 2 lines and triangles appear beside a Bridge thumbnail every time I open a file via ACR, even if no adjustments are made in ACR.

Again, thanks to all - I've just made a pretty true print, now that I've figured out how to add my printer paper profile to the Photoshop >View> Proof Setup dropdown -  and soft proof and soft proof - print the image.   At this point, I don't know how I managed to consistently get such good color printing results all these years - before the wide gamut monitor.  Just lucky until now, I guess, but I'm finally getting some results that are reasonable, though not perfect.  It's better than having to face the decision about throwing this laptop out the window... or simply jumping, myself!

thanks again, everyone,

Paz

davidh202

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2011, 11:05:47 am »

However, FWIW, I also noticed the circle with 2 lines and triangles appear beside a Bridge thumbnail every time I open a file via ACR, even if no adjustments are made in ACR.

Paz

ACR by default makes some basic adjustments when you open any file.If you notice , some of the sliders on the basic panel indicate that, they are not zeroed out.Even if you make no further adjustments yourself in ACR ,I believe that if you save the file  or open  it in Photoshop, Bridge will recognize that those basic default adjustments were applied to the file in ACR.
The 'As Shot' setting choice in the drop down menus only apply to return your 'As Shot'  settings from the files EXIF data while working in ACR.
It is sometimes a good idea to zero out all ACRs settings before you start doing any adjustments to a file so you are starting from scratch with your true RAW file that came out of the camera.
You might also wish to reset the 'apply sharpening' setting in ACRs preferances to apply 'only to preview' ,and decide for yourself , how and when you wish to apply any sharpening to your file in your workflow.
David

Pages: [1]   Go Up