Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: FS: Mamiya 7II + 80mm f/4 Lens + Epson Perfection v750 Pro  (Read 2225 times)

Justin Berman

• http://www.justinberman.com
FS: Mamiya 7II + 80mm f/4 Lens + Epson Perfection v750 Pro
« on: December 09, 2011, 10:30:14 am »

Hey all,

I am no longer shooting film at all, I have:

Mamiya 7II with an 80mm f/4 (including original box) [9.5+]

Photos: http://justinberman.com/gear/Mamiya7II

I am looking for $1400 + s/h and Paypal fees

I also have an Epson Perfection v750 Pro [9] with aftermarket betterscanning.com adjustable height film holder.

I am looking for about $550 + s/h + paypal

I would happily consider a trade for one or both; I am looking for:

Nikon D700
Nikon Wide Zoom Lenses (17-35 AFS/14-24 AFS)
Zeiss ZF.2 35mm f/1.4
Zeiss ZF.2 21mm f/2.8

I am in Brooklyn and am happy to deal locally.

Cheers!
Justin

fudsylow

Re: FS: Mamiya 7II + 80mm f/4 Lens + Epson Perfection v750 Pro
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2011, 09:21:20 am »

Hi Justin,
I am just starting out shooting film, and would be interested in the 750 scanner... what kind of size prints are you capable of producing from the scans you do yourself ?
Primarily, I would be looking at 645 negs, as I have just purchased a Contax setup, and love it...

Out here in Australia, it is just EXTREMELY expensive just to develop, proof and scan negs at a pro lab.

Seems to me that a lot of people are scanning the negs they are producing from 120 film... is the time it takes to scan and then "process" in PS too much to out weight using a pro lab and the extra dollars to have someone else do it ?

Is it easy to get the hang of ? Also, I read about wet and dry scanning.. the 750 is a wet one right ? Or is it dry but you can do wet?

Cheers
Rich.
:)

Justin Berman

• http://www.justinberman.com
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2011, 06:43:44 pm »

Rich, allow me to address your questions in order:

What size prints can you get?

That is a complex question, but the simplest answer is that you can *easily* print superlatively sharp images by dry scanning at 1600DPI, this translates to roughly 1 inch of the original negative = 5.3 inches of final print, so for 645 film you could easily print 16"x9" print without any real work and without even getting close to the maximum capabilities of the scanner. The scanner is capable of resolving 4 times that detail (6400DPI), but it begins to get into a question of going past the grain of the film itself, so I stick to about 2x that (3200DPI). The higher resolution you scan the more imperfections in the mounting will be apparent, so you will have to ensure that you mount very flat. Suffice it to say, with a little patience I think you can print (without any photoshop upsizing) at 32"x18" without trouble. Once you enlarge in photoshop, I think you will find you can print bigger than you possibly would want to.

is the time it takes to scan and then "process" in PS too much to out weight using a pro lab and the extra dollars to have someone else do it ?

I got into film because I was going through a preiod where I emphatically did NOT want to be in front of the computer at all. I wanted to be out shooting more film and reviewing my shots.  For me scanning actually decreased my post shot workflow, I got my film developed at a pro-lab, then scanned it myself, probably costing me about 10-15 minutes per image. After that I only needed minor adjustments in photoshop to correct any casting from the scanner and I already had the delightful tone that the film I used produced.

To answer your question, it depends on how expensive your time is to yourself. For me, it was worth self scanning except for shots I wanted to be perfectly immaculate. Those I paid to drum scan (which is stupidly expensive, but results in amazing quality).

Is it easy to get the hang of ? Also, I read about wet and dry scanning.. the 750 is a wet one right ? Or is it dry but you can do wet?

I found it very easy to learn to do, dry scanning 120/220 is very easy, film holders exist that are designed to specifically hold 120/220 film and will avoid a lot of the complications I have in scanning 4x5 film. The v750Pro can do both wet and dry scanning, I don't use the wet scanning capability, but I have seen tests arguing that it can net you an extra half stop of DR and will eliminate a lot of dust issues.

Cheers!
Justin

fudsylow

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2011, 07:02:14 pm »

Hi Justin,
Thanks so very much for the in depth reply... it sounds as though it would more than benefit my workflow to purchase a scanner like yours. And you are right, if the results are going to be sufficient for my sizes that I sell as standard (up to 20x30"), and then can still save me in excess of $10 per roll for the lab scanning at approx. 8"x12" size, I guess for the occassional super sized print, I would be happy to pay to have a neg drum scanned, or even photographically printed (which my pro lab still does).

I will consider this seriously and get back to you...

Thanks again for such an in depth reply..

Cheers
Rich.
:)

Pages: [1]   Go Up