Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: PS Color Settings  (Read 4298 times)

billy

PS Color Settings
« on: December 08, 2011, 12:59:12 am »

hello, I am on a new mac tower, I have a NEC PA241w wide gamut display, and am using photoshop cs5, and use a monaco optix color device with spectraview 2 software.

when going into PS, edit/color settings, i use the adobe 1998 rgb color space. should I be using the profile that my monitor creates instead?

also, when using Bridge the photos look more contrasty and saturated than when I open them up in photoshop. BTW, when looking at photos in C1 Pro and PS they look identical. When I go into preferences in Bridge it tells me that my colorsync is not enabled. what can I do to get the photos to look the same in PS and Bridge?

deejjjaaaa

Re: PS Color Settings
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2011, 01:10:43 am »

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2011, 10:14:22 am »

when going into PS, edit/color settings, i use the adobe 1998 rgb color space. should I be using the profile that my monitor creates instead?

No, (never). The display profile is divorced from how you edit your documents.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

billy

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2011, 02:58:33 pm »

"No, (never). The display profile is divorced from how you edit your documents. "

Great, thanksdigitaldog. How about my Bridge problem? Any insight?

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2011, 03:00:04 pm »

I don’t use Bridge. That said, it’s previews may not be as accurate as PS, and it is important to always view such images at 100% when comparing app’s.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Paz

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2011, 04:15:02 pm »

also, when using Bridge the photos look more contrasty and saturated than when I open them up in photoshop.

Me too.

When I go into preferences in Bridge it tells me that my colorsync is not enabled. what can I do to get the photos to look the same in PS and Bridge?

I do not see 'colorsync' in Bridge preferences.  (Perhaps I missed it.  Windows 7 Ultimate)

Under 'Creative Suite Color Settings,' I get the message that "Suite Color Management is not enabled."  I cannot enable it, because I did not buy the "Creative Suite."  I bought Photoshop and several other Adobe programs separately. 

I've wondered if that's the reason my Bridge images are so very different from Photoshop.  If that's what's wrong, it really does defeat the whole concept of editing RAW files in Bridge first.

Paz

deejjjaaaa

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2011, 06:09:13 pm »

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/creativesuite/cs/using/WS02168C3D-736B-4b73-A7A0-63EAFB7E09B1a.html#WS0D78142E-6028-4ec1-9BBF-6837F1DE3CD5a   ->

"...In Adobe Bridge, the thumbnail quality determines whether color profile settings are used. High-quality thumbnails use color-profile settings, while quick thumbnails do not. Use the Advanced Preferences and the Options For Thumbnail Quality and Preview Generation button in the application bar to determine thumbnail quality.

If you own Adobe Creative Suite 5, you can use Adobe Bridge to synchronize color settings across all color-managed Creative Suite components. When you specify Creative Suite color settings using the Edit > Creative Suite Color Settings command in Adobe Bridge, color settings are automatically synchronized. Synchronizing color settings ensures that colors look the same in all color-managed Adobe Creative Suite 5 components..."

KeithR

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2011, 08:47:18 pm »

I do not see 'colorsync' in Bridge preferences.  (Perhaps I missed it.  Windows 7 Ultimate)
Paz
Colorsync is a mac only thing. It's not in any Windows product.
And you don't edit raw files in Bridge. Bridge is basically a file browser. All edits of raw files are done in ACR which can be accessed(hosted) through Bridge or directly through PS. But I would guess that most people aquire their raw files to edit through ACR via Bridge.
The destination is our goal but it’s the journey we experience

cats_five

• Fifescapes Photography
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2011, 09:40:37 am »

<snip>

I've wondered if that's the reason my Bridge images are so very different from Photoshop.  If that's what's wrong, it really does defeat the whole concept of editing RAW files in Bridge first.

Paz

I was under the impression that Bridge is a file management and viewing tool - certainly when I open a RAW image on my PC it opens it in Adobe Camera Raw which is what I use to edit it, before continuing in Photoshop.

Paz

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2011, 05:53:06 pm »

Keith said:
Colorsync is a mac only thing. It's not in any Windows product.

Thanks.  

Keith said:
And you don't edit raw files in Bridge. Bridge is basically a file browser. All edits of raw files are done in ACR which can be accessed(hosted) through Bridge or directly through PS. But I would guess that most people aquire their raw files to edit through ACR via Bridge.

cats_five said:

I was under the impression that Bridge is a file management and viewing tool - certainly when I open a RAW image on my PC it opens it in Adobe Camera Raw which is what I use to edit it, before continuing in Photoshop.

Ah, yes.  I see the distinction.  When I view files via Bridge, then open them in Adobe Camera RAW, Bridge is still open in the background.

thanks, guys.  Billy, sorry for highjacking your thread.

Paz
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 05:55:56 pm by Paz »
Pages: [1]   Go Up