Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Recommend me a wide format printer  (Read 1980 times)

George89

Recommend me a wide format printer
« on: December 07, 2011, 03:17:33 pm »

Hi everyone,
I currently own a canon IPF8300 44" printer, I am planning on purchasing a 24" wide format printer i was looking at the IPF6300S but i prefer to get your opinions first.

Key features i need:
-Quality doesn't have to be as good as the IPF8300
-Ink cost is a major factor, not sure which printers are good on ink usage as the IPF8300 ain't
-Speed is important as well (as fast or faster then the IPF8300)

That's the only way i can explain what type of printer i want. Are any of the HP's any good?

Thank you

Luca Ragogna

• PicFoundry
Re: Recommend me a wide format printer
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2011, 09:13:08 pm »

They're all fine, but what are you going to do with it? For example, Epson has 3 44" wide printers and each are great for their specific uses. The 9700 is for corporate graphics, quick copy printers, that sort of thing. The 9890 and 9900 are for fine art and high end printing (there's some overlap) and the 9900 is also great for commercial print proofing.

So, you have to be more specific about what you do and you probably still won't find any consensus here.

George89

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2011, 08:00:53 am »

I will need it to print posters but they don't have to be extremely high quality. I just need a cost effective printer.

Jim Pascoe

• http://www.jimpascoe.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2011, 08:34:38 am »

I've had a Canon 6100 for three years and it has been pretty much flawless.  Running costs are very good - but then I do sell all my prints.  However if you want lower quality printing I can see why you might want something cheaper to run.  Do not Epson and Canon offer a different version of their 24 inch printers aimed at non-photographic output with fewer colour cartridges.  Whether they would be any cheaper to run though is questionable.  Alternatively you could get an Epson printer and convert it to a continuous flow system that would cut ink costs quite a bit.  Personally I find it is the paper that is a much bigger cost than the ink.  The Canon, as I'm sure you are aware, has software that allows you to exactly work out how much ink is used on a print and from that you can calculate costs per print.

Jim

milt

• Striking & Distinctive Custom Photographic Prints
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2011, 01:40:14 pm »

I would think the ability to share cartridges would be an economic advantage of the canon 6300.

--Milt--
Los Gatos, California | http://miltonbarber.com

artobest

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2011, 11:01:20 am »

HPs are many things. Fast they are not.

Luca Ragogna

• PicFoundry
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2011, 10:48:53 am »

I think the Epson 7700 is right up your alley. Decent image quality and lightning fast.
Pages: [1]   Go Up