Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: NEX 7 & "Stacked" Adapters  (Read 2895 times)

Dave Gurtcheff

NEX 7 & "Stacked" Adapters
« on: December 07, 2011, 02:28:53 pm »

I just sold all my Canon gear, except for the 500mm f4L IS (going on ebay soon). I had purchesed three high quality Voigtlander adapters for Canon EOS: the M42, the contax/Yashika, and Leica R. I have advance ordered a NEX 7. I have a treasure trove of legacy lenses including Nikkor, Leica R, Pentax M42 (and many others, such as Exakta/Topcon, Miranda, Praktina, Canon FD etc). Initially I thought of buying NEX to Leica R, NEX to M42, NEX to Contax etc. Then I thought "I already own adapters to EOS". If I just bought ONE high end NEX to Canon EOS adapter, can I stack them and use all my legacy lenses?This would svae me a lot of $, but any advise on using adapters with manual focus old SLR lenses? The more I think about it, I wonder if the required back focus distances would "add" and not work. Correct? Thanks in advance
Dave Gurtcheff
Beach Haven, NJ

RawheaD

Re: NEX 7 & "Stacked" Adapters
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2011, 02:47:55 pm »

Stacking adapters work no problem.

The best?  Get a NEX to micro-4/3 adapter, and then you'll be able to mount almost every single lens that is out there right now :-D

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2011, 05:09:17 pm »

Yes, as rawhead said they will work OK as each lens/adapter has to work in it's own right.  However I would only stick to this combo until you figure out which lenses you'll end up keeping for the system, then get dedicted adapters to them so that you are back to swapping lenses on your body, not fiddling around in the bag for adapters.

BarbaraArmstrong

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2011, 06:13:41 pm »

I'm sure I don't understand enough about optics.  Will the micro 4/3rds lenses work on the Nex, with an adapter, despite being designed for a smaller sensor? --Barbara

BarbaraArmstrong

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2011, 07:30:28 pm »

Don't anybody try answering my question.  I clearly misread the original inquiry (goodness knows where my head was at the time) and thought he was trying to use 4/3rds lenses.  Sorry for the utterly confusing response on my part. --Barbara

Dave Gurtcheff

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2011, 08:08:06 pm »

Yes, as rawhead said they will work OK as each lens/adapter has to work in it's own right.  However I would only stick to this combo until you figure out which lenses you'll end up keeping for the system, then get dedicted adapters to them so that you are back to swapping lenses on your body, not fiddling around in the bag for adapters.
Tonight I ordered a "No name" $20.95 NEX--EOS adapter to see how stacked adapters work. If I find M42, Contax, Leica R lenses really blow me away, I will probalby get a high end dedicated adapter. Thanks for the help!
Dave

Dave Gurtcheff

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2011, 08:25:16 pm »

Don't anybody try answering my question.  I clearly misread the original inquiry (goodness knows where my head was at the time) and thought he was trying to use 4/3rds lenses.  Sorry for the utterly confusing response on my part. --Barbara

Hi Barbara.
My original question was a bit confusing. Here is what I want to do:
[NEX 7 Body]--->(NEX to EOS adapter)--->(EOS to Leica R adapter)--->Leica R lens
Dave

michael

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2011, 09:41:44 am »

Adaptors are simply like extension tubes. They do two things. They allow for attaching, and they move the rear of the lens to the distance that it needs for infinity focus. That's it.

So, stacking adaptors has no negative effect.

But, if you want to put a Leica R lens on a NEX-7 why not simply buy an R to NEX adaptor?

Michael
Pages: [1]   Go Up