Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Amsterdam  (Read 3055 times)

slalexander

Amsterdam
« on: April 20, 2005, 09:17:18 pm »

Start with canal boat ride, look make notes, get a city pass return to the sites that interested you and shoot away. The city itself will keep you busy for days. Get a guide book and read up before going over.

Enjoy your trip.

Steven

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
Amsterdam
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2005, 03:48:25 pm »

A bit of useless trivia that 'may' have some bearing on your photographic forays...  A long time ago, shops in Amsterdam were taxed based on the width of their store 'front'.  The result was that the various owners started building wedge-shaped buildings, very narrow in front and flaring toward the back.  There's likely still some evidence of them...

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

nnmmaa

Amsterdam
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2005, 09:52:52 pm »

I am planning to be in Amsterdam for a few days in early June. After the tulip season, I think. So, I am looking for advice about short to intermediate length walks in Amsterdam or towns nearby that may have photographic potential. Buildings and architechture are incidental to the hope for the charm of the neighborhoods, canals and farmland.

John Camp

Amsterdam
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2005, 12:08:16 am »

It's really a funky place; I like it a lot. It helps that a very large percentage of people speak perfect English. I wouldn't think so much about going out to the countryside (which I don't think is particularly remarkable, just judging from train rides through it) as in staying in downtown Amsterdam. There's a central railway station right in the heart of town, and you could spend most of a life-time walking around shooting within a mile or so of the place. Great shots of people and architecture, cafes and canals...but they've also got a couple of the great art museums in Europe there, and both are worth a look for anyone interested in any visual art. If you get to know the train station you find you can make fairly long day trips to some pretty far-away places, and still make it back to your hotel at night. I'd be a little careful at night, though; sometimes it can get a little too funky.

Actually, when I think about it, asking what to shoot in Amsterdam is like asking what to shoot in New York. I mean...everything.

JC

nnmmaa

Amsterdam
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2005, 07:55:27 am »

Thanks for the suggestions so far and I hope this does not sound bad. But actually, suggestions like reading a guide book or taking a canal tour are pretty trivial. I am looking for more specifics. Hopefully, someone will be able to point me to some self-guided walkng tours that cover  the scenic aspects of Amsterdam and its environs. By scenic I don't mean an old house or building, but something that connects with the atmosphere of Holland.

Where are our LL members from Holland?
Pages: [1]   Go Up