Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Using HDR tone mapping for ordinary images  (Read 22549 times)

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
Re: Using HDR tone mapping for ordinary images
« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2012, 03:48:15 am »

Here is an image that I "tuned" up with PS
Is that a joke? It's one of the ugliest photographs I've seen posted here.

Come to think of it, scrub the last two words.

Jeremy

Walter_temp

« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2012, 04:09:44 am »

I agree with Stomper: That's very much the style many photographers  think of when talking about HDR.
Not my cup of tea, too.

If you're happy with the picture and it looks like the picture you had in your mind I will not argue with that.
But don't expect much appreciation. To me it resembles a beginner's first enthusiastic steps in Photomatix.

Ciao, Walter

Roland DG

« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2012, 03:29:38 pm »

Well thanks for all the encouraging remarks, it really make me feel at home here.

Bob

jeremypayne

« Reply #43 on: March 30, 2012, 03:32:34 pm »

Well thanks for all the encouraging remarks, it really make me feel at home here.

Bob

Sorry, bud ... I'm gonna have to agree ... that's an image only a mom could love.

stamper

« Reply #44 on: March 31, 2012, 04:18:15 am »

It could have been worse. Everybody could have praised it and it would have encouraged you to do some more. There is more to photography than HDR and you should look at other and "better" techniques. Did you expect or want a pat on the back?

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #45 on: March 31, 2012, 04:26:44 am »

Bob
Bob, there are a good many sites where every posted photograph receives unrestrained praise. As I've observed here before, if that's what I wanted, I'd show my pics to my mother. The huge advantage of posting photos here is that you'll get honest feedback, much of it (not all, of course) from people who do really know what they're talking about. Some of us have more self-restraint than others and some are rather, er, direct in their comments.

I've learned a huge amount from this site over the last few years, both from critiques of my own photos and from those of others people's. You can't expect a soft ride just because it's your first post, I'm afraid.

If people here whose opinion I respect (and there are plenty) say they like my work, I feel very flattered. If they don't, I reflect; sometimes I don't agree and sometimes I do. Either way, I learn.

Don't be discouraged; stick around. Post more.

Jeremy

Tony Jay

« Reply #46 on: March 31, 2012, 04:59:20 am »

If people here whose opinion I respect (and there are plenty) say they like my work, I feel very flattered. If they don't, I reflect; sometimes I don't agree and sometimes I do. Either way, I learn.

Don't be discouraged; stick around. Post more.

Jeremy

Many of the guys and gals who post on this site do this stuff for a living.
Some of them are world authorities and lots of them are wonderful artists in their own right.

Don't be put off.
They might be honest but rude and obnoxious they are not.

They will be prepared to help you.
I don't know of another forum (broadly meant) where one can have a frank conversation with the best in the business.

Regards

Tony Jay

quismond

« Reply #47 on: March 31, 2012, 08:27:56 am »

Sorry, bud ... I'm gonna have to agree ... that's an image only a mom could love.

It's so kitsch that I like it (except for the huge halos). It has a particular ambiance that reminds me some representations of the 50's and 60's.
(I am not his mother, by the way) ;-)
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 08:31:16 am by quismond »

michael ellis

« Reply #48 on: March 31, 2012, 11:18:13 am »

Bob

Hi Bob-

At least you got some feedback. If you look at the listings in the forum topic listings you will see that there are posts with NO replies. I think that means no one was moved enough to take the time to comment. Your image generated comment and not all posts do. There are some incredible photographers posting to this site and folks on this site can be very helpful. Everyone has their own esthetic values and all do not agree. I hope you keep posting and learning.

Michael

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #49 on: April 01, 2012, 04:02:18 am »

At least you got some feedback. If you look at the listings in the forum topic listings you will see that there are posts with NO replies. I think that means no one was moved enough to take the time to comment. Your image generated comment and not all posts do. There are some incredible photographers posting to this site and folks on this site can be very helpful. Everyone has their own esthetic values and all do not agree. I hope you keep posting and learning.
Now that's certainly true. Far more dispiriting than being criticised, however harshly, is being ignored!

Jeremy

sniper

« Reply #50 on: April 01, 2012, 08:31:12 am »

Bob there seems to be 3 schools of thought with HDR, theres those who hate anything at all with the words hdr attached, those who like a more subtle look and those who prefere the stronger more extreme style. 
I shoot a lot of HDR and personally tend to go with the more subtle look, but it's all personal taste, neither is wrong or right, if you like your style stick with it, I do my photography to suit myself and my customers, trying to please other photographers with hdr is a pointless task, for the reasons above.

stamper

« Reply #51 on: April 02, 2012, 03:41:19 am »

but it's all personal taste, neither is wrong or right, if you like your style stick with it

Unquote

Correct. You take images to first of all please yourself and that matters the most. However if you post looking for praise then you have to accept the criticism. assuming it isn't over the top. Posting a HDR image - one that is obvious - takes guts imo. If the member would post something that isn't HDR then that would be helpful? We could then judge how good a photographer he is. You can't judge someone's worth by looking at a HDR. In most cases a HDR has started as a good image and then been "ruined".

hjulenissen

« Reply #52 on: April 02, 2012, 05:41:56 am »

You can't judge someone's worth by looking at a HDR. In most cases a HDR has started as a good image and then been "ruined".
I dont understand this opinion. Is it not like saying "you cant judge someones worth by looking at a color image."?

Color images _can_ look tacky and amateurish compared to a nicely processed black & white. It is also easy to go over the top with color processing options. Nevertheless, a color image usually contains more information about the actual scene, and properly processed it can be more "visually accurate" than a B&W image.

-h

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #53 on: April 04, 2012, 06:56:28 pm »

Eric:  I like the guy on top of the hill on the left.  It's a photographer shooting the scene on a tripod.  I realize this has nothing to do with this thread, but thought it was interesting to mention.  Nice catch.  Alan

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #54 on: April 04, 2012, 10:48:43 pm »

Alan,

Thanks for input, much appreciated.

Best regards
Erik

Eric:  I like the guy on top of the hill on the left.  It's a photographer shooting the scene on a tripod.  I realize this has nothing to do with this thread, but thought it was interesting to mention.  Nice catch.  Alan
Erik Kaffehr

Peter_DL

« Reply #55 on: April 11, 2012, 03:15:21 pm »

The image certainly escapes from / is defying all concerns with the usual hdr dilemma,
to look still realistic (or not) ...-... by purpose (or not).

Peter

--
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up