Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Echo Beach  (Read 11427 times)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Re: Echo Beach
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2011, 11:42:01 pm »

... I'm still finding out what to expect from these forums, and it seems I should just expect there'll be either fulsome approbation or silent disapproval...

How about vocal disapproval? And that is what I've been asking you to provide, apparently in vain, instead of just asking questions as the form of a "silent disapproval".

As for "these forums", those who've been around a bit longer, know perfectly well how vocal we can be in our disapproval, myself included.

As for other aspect of the debate, seems like we are talking past each other, so I'll bow out.

fineartphotos

• Black white and fine art photography
How about black and white photography
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2011, 07:33:47 am »

Not my style , very nice shot but I recommend to try black and white. This will force you to pay attention to the most important elements of the great photograph
texture,form,contrast, shape, composition.
When you discard the colors you focus on what is the most important, when you learn it you can go back to color and I guarantee you that your work will be improved a lot.

I like the composition and warm tones of this shot.

Isaac

« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2011, 08:40:52 pm »

How about vocal disapproval? And that is what I've been asking you to provide
If all you're asking for is vocal approval or vocal disapproval then I'm really not interested - there's little chance of learning from unexplained judgements; and I'm not interested in bashing shaunw's photo, just for the sake of bashing the photo.

(Actually I did reply to your previous question about what could have been done differently - "As degrub suggested a tighter crop - and reduction to more abstract areas of reflected colour".)

just asking questions as the form of a "silent disapproval"
I ask questions out of genuine curiosity - obviously you're seeing something appealing in the photo that I'm not, and I'm trying to understand what you're seeing there that I'm not.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 08:42:45 pm by Isaac »

John R

« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2011, 10:02:47 pm »

I can't see anything wrong with this image. It is superb and better than 90 percent of what I have seen on this forum. This is not a critique section, so I thought Shaun was fishing for comments when he posted it. Great image Shaun!

JMR
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 09:15:56 am by John R »

shaunw

• Shaun Walby Landscape Photography collections
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2011, 12:13:29 pm »

Some debate!!.......As the Author/owner of the image all i can tell is that i remain totally happy with the image because... FOR ME (this is of course the single most important aspect of photography bar none, unless its commercial work of course) is portrays exactly how it felt to be there that evening, a big wide open space with the sea on my right the beautiful sun setting in the distance....................and that was was EXACTLY what i was trying to capture; as someone said.....as photographers we get to totally please ourselves.

There are around 15 versions of it,......this is the one i choose because it best represents what i was trying to achieve (FOR ME)...lol....sorry nothing my profound than that.

with regards to the question ''could it be improved''....of course it could, there isn't a single image on this planet that couldn't be improved.......................to suit the that particular viewers taste!!! I think a much more important question would be....has the owner considered the capture/processing/presentation of the image?

yes the owner has(vigorously as i do all my images); and do i feel the need to alter with the intention of improving the image....no.

FOR ME..it works and i like it 9 months down the line; to all those who like it...thanks really glad you enjoy what your looking at. For those that don't like it ,ok sorry about that i hope you enjoy some of my others, for those who want to alter it... well its not your to alter as i own it and it has been captured/processed and presented FOR ME.

Thanks for each and every comment...

Regards

Shaun Walby

Ps Might i suggest we leave this one here as fun as it certainly has been.

Canon 5D mk II Sigma 10-20, Canon 17-40mm L, Canon 24-105mm L, Canon 70-200 L, Lee Filters, Manfrotto geared head/tripod.

''Twelve significant photographs in any one year is a good crop''. – Ansel Adams
http://www.shaunwalbyphotography.com

Isaac

« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2011, 02:00:02 pm »

This is not a critique section, so I thought Shaun was fishing for comments when he posted it.
Well, it says "Nature Photography - technical and aesthetic issues" but I guess I should take that to mean a section where photos are posted "fishing for [compliments]" :-)

« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 02:13:24 pm by Isaac »

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2011, 02:46:51 pm »

Well, it says "Nature Photography - technical and aesthetic issues" but I guess I should take that to mean a section where photos are posted "fishing for [compliments]" :-)

I posted this in another thread, but it might be relevant here as well. This is not a forum rule, just my observation on what seems to be a consensus:

There are three options when it comes to getting/avoiding criticism:

1. If someone wants a critique, there is a section for it (in The Art of Photography Forum)

2. If you specifically do not want it, but just want to display your work, there is a thread titled "Without Prejudice" in the same section

3. This forum is a bit ambiguous in that respect, as some posters would critique anyway, some would refrain, and some would ask for permission first (the last one refers to editing someone else's work).

Hence, Isaac, no, this thread is not meant for "fishing for compliments", or at least not only for that. If someone wants to use it so, that is ok too, although they can not count on, nor control (except by locking or deleting the whole trhead) if someone else posts a (negative) critique.

So, feel free to critique in this thread too, by all means. Just man up and use your own words for it, instead of hiding behind "degrub's" or behind slightly patronizing, "genuine curiosity" questions.

Isaac

« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2011, 04:15:06 pm »

So, feel free to critique in this thread too, by all means. Just man up and use your own words for it, instead of hiding behind "degrub's" or behind slightly patronizing, "genuine curiosity" questions.

(Actually "reduction to more abstract areas of reflected colour" were my words.)

I've told you as plainly as possible that "obviously you're seeing something appealing in the photo that I'm not, and I'm trying to understand what you're seeing there that I'm not".

Your continued refusal to accept that I ask straightforward honest questions is offensive. I won't insist that you man up and explain what appeals to you about the photo - but don't call me a liar for asking the question.

« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 05:11:23 pm by Isaac »

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2011, 09:49:18 pm »

... don't call me a liar for asking the question.

I understand we disagree, and lets leave it at that, but calling you liar was not my intention, nor it crossed my mind.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2011, 01:05:32 am »

Hi,

I like it, a lot!

Best regards
Erik

Northumberland in the NE of the England is known as ''the quite country'' i was out this evening to capture the much photographed Bamburgh Castle...i was late for the Castle, too busy capturing this scene.

All input appreciated...Shaun

Echo Beach by Shaunwalby Photography, on Flickr
Erik Kaffehr

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up