Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Echo Beach  (Read 11424 times)

shaunw

• Shaun Walby Landscape Photography collections
Echo Beach
« on: December 06, 2011, 12:49:20 pm »

Northumberland in the NE of the England is known as ''the quite country'' i was out this evening to capture the much photographed Bamburgh Castle...i was late for the Castle, too busy capturing this scene.

All input appreciated...Shaun

Echo Beach by Shaunwalby Photography, on Flickr
Canon 5D mk II Sigma 10-20, Canon 17-40mm L, Canon 24-105mm L, Canon 70-200 L, Lee Filters, Manfrotto geared head/tripod.

''Twelve significant photographs in any one year is a good crop''. – Ansel Adams
http://www.shaunwalbyphotography.com

degrub

Re: Echo Beach
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2011, 12:52:58 am »

Wonderful orange tones. i cannot decide which is more distracting - the surf or the dark hills. i think the surf since it is lighter. My focus wants to be on the sun and the reflection in the water rather than pulled to the white surf. Still a grand shot the way it is.

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2011, 10:26:01 am »

I like this big orange lozenge between land and sea. Nice ovals, triangles, contrasts and colours.
Scott

shaunw

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2011, 01:31:16 pm »

Wonderful orange tones. i cannot decide which is more distracting - the surf or the dark hills. i think the surf since it is lighter. My focus wants to be on the sun and the reflection in the water rather than pulled to the white surf. Still a grand shot the way it is.

Thanks for your thoughts degrub

Shaun
Canon 5D mk II Sigma 10-20, Canon 17-40mm L, Canon 24-105mm L, Canon 70-200 L, Lee Filters, Manfrotto geared head/tripod.

''Twelve significant photographs in any one year is a good crop''. – Ansel Adams

shaunw

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2011, 01:31:59 pm »

I like this big orange lozenge between land and sea. Nice ovals, triangles, contrasts and colours.
Scott

Thanks Scott

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2011, 09:21:37 pm »

I like it.  There's a sense of open timelessness... I can see myself walking that beach, hand in hand with Marcia...

Of course that would add footprints and change the image.   ;D

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2011, 11:53:15 pm »

It's good light. Is smooth sand and a far away sunset enough of a subject to hold interest?
It is for me. I can spend lots of time looking at it.
 Very satisfying.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Riaan van Wyk

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2011, 03:23:21 am »

Lovely photo Shaun. I like the colours and the "emptiness"

Rob C

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2011, 08:09:45 am »

It's good light. Is smooth sand and a far away sunset enough of a subject to hold interest?

Factor in Gisel Bundchen, lots of time - at least whilst the light lasts - and you have Paradise.

;-(

Rob C

Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2011, 09:52:02 am »

Factor in Gisel Bundchen, lots of time - at least whilst the light lasts - and you have Paradise.

;-(

Rob C
But rob, it's always better to leave something to the imagination. As the image is now, if you stare long enough you should be able to imagine Gisele in the scene. And when you tire of her, put in your next model.  And so on.    ;)

Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

JackS

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2011, 09:56:25 am »

Nice beach shot, not over done.

I especially like the orange reflection in the center, nice and smooth.

Jack

Rob C

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2011, 01:56:38 pm »

But rob, it's always better to leave something to the imagination. As the image is now, if you stare long enough you should be able to imagine Gisele in the scene. And when you tire of her, put in your next model.  And so on.    ;)

Eric

Eric, isn't it enough that I left the second e in Gisele to the imagination? That just shows to go you what the imagination can do to/for you!

Actually, with Gisele, it was a known fact that though she did a lot of risqué pics, she never did a totally topless, so something was ever left to the imagination, which as every woman knows, if far more seductive and mind-blowing than not. That's why off switches are fitted to bedroom lights.

Trouble with too much imagining, one could come to the point where even the beach might be imiginary; CaNik wouldn't like that!

Rob C

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2011, 02:06:01 pm »

... Is smooth sand and a far away sunset enough of a subject to hold interest?

Oh, yes!

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2011, 02:18:20 pm »

Are there no ways in which you think the scene could be re-worked to give a stronger image?

No.

We all tend to suffer from time to time from perfectionitis, but sometimes it is best to leave things as they are, beautiful, even if not perfect.

The uniqueness of photography is that in any given moment you can do only one thing, take one standpoint, chose one lens, exposure, etc. Never two. Never. Physically impossible (though maybe not in a parallel universe). I know, I know, you can "work the scene" in the next moment or next hour or next day or next decade. But that moment you felt something that prompted you to select a particular standpoint, lens, exposure is never going to be repeated. You got it, however imperfect, but it is yours, and you made something out of it.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2011, 02:48:26 pm »

I wonder what yardstick we hold these photos against?

A magnolia washed wall with/without a print of the Echo beach photo?

A magnolia washed wall with a print of the Echo beach photo or with a print of some other photo?

You lost me at magnolia  ;)

Why should that stop us asking what worked well and what didn't work well and thinking out how we might approach a similar situation differently?

By all means keep asking, but I thought I answered that: because the image is already quite good as it is. By the way, you keep asking, but I have not heard what you think could have been done differently. Feel free to chip in.

This reminds me of two types of people when it come to decision-making: satisfiers and maximizers. Satisfiers stop searching when they get to a solution that leaves them satisfied, maximizers continue searching until the get the maximum out of the process (e.g., interview all possible candidates for a job or try all possible Photoshop or shooting techniques). Satisfiers are satisfied with the result, maximizers with the process. Satisfiers found what they want and moved on, while maximizers are still searching for the ideal (and by the time they find it, it might be already too late - e.g., sun disappeared). Obviously, I am advocating the satisfiers approach in this case.

JackS

« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2011, 02:51:54 pm »

One thing I might try if it were mine.

I might sample the water-sand in the center (sunset orange color) and add a little of that color to the water on the right.

Just a little, just to keep the eye from wandering in that direction.

Not sure how it will look until you try.

Jack

Kirk Gittings

• http://www.KirkGittings.com
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2011, 02:54:28 pm »

I agree SB, very meditative and serene as it is-superb. Add anything else and it becomes a different statement. As it is-it is complete.
Thanks,
Kirk Gittings

Rob C

« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2011, 02:58:17 pm »

This reminds me of two types of people when it come to decision-making: satisfiers and maximizers. Satisfiers stop searching when they get to a solution that leaves them satisfied, maximizers continue searching until the get the maximum out of the process (e.g., interview all possible candidates for a job or try all possible Photoshop or shooting techniques). Satisfiers are satisfied with the result, maximizers with the process. Satisfiers found what they want and moved on, while maximizers are still searching for the ideal (and by the time they find it, it might be already too late - e.g., sun disappeared). Obviously, I am advocating the satisfiers approach in this case.

This reminds, me, sort of obliquely, of the joke about the chap with the tiny member who went to the ranch in Nevada looking for some extra-marital fun and games. When he disrobed, the girl laughed out loud and asked: 'who's that supposed to satify?' 'Me,' came the simple reply.

I've never been to Nevada, but they say there are lots of snowy mountains there.

Rob C

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2011, 12:10:46 am »

But you're in the UK! Dulux :-)...

I am actually in the USA, though I occasionally get published in UK magazines.

I really do not get your angle in this debate. You do not seem to find this image particularly interesting or well done, and it is fine. There are several other participants in this thread, myself included, who find it quite good as-is. There is no right or wrong here, just like it or not, or feel it or not.

My point about satisfiers vs. maximizers is meant from the author's standpoint. It can be just as well applied to your scenario, to a viewer or buyer. If I would be the buyer, I would buy it without waiting to go first through gazillion beach sunset photos that I am sure exist today in the universe. Why? Because I am happy with what I see, enough so to stop the search. A maximizer would continue the search, first through the same gallery for a better one, then through other galleries in town, then online. I can guarantee you that with the subject such as beach sunsets he would never stop searching, as there would always be that nagging feeling that, after seeing a gazillion examples, there must be a gazillion +1 somewhere out there that just might be the perfect one.

As for Galen's musings, I actually agree with that. However, I used that example to mean if they were after a sunset image, not dusk image, then they would be late. I personally observed the same behavior as Galen did, and you can find my thoughts here (in the image description).

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2011, 07:36:38 am »

When is enough enough? - An age old question whether you are a banker, a CEO or an artist.

Ultimately, artists must satisfy themselves first. As soon as they start working towards satisfying the desires/whims of someone else, their work becomes something other than pure art; e.g. commercial art.

At the same time, the notion of "being satisfied with what I've done" is often used (particularly by students) as a cop-out for not trying harder or not pushing further or not trying to learn more. However, when you've created a truly fine work as Echo Beach is, perhaps it's time to be satisfied. It may not be "perfect" in the eyes of others, but they weren't there "in the moment" and will have a different perspective based on their personal likes/dislikes.

Art is, arguably, the most self-centred thing a person can be doing but that's not a bad thing, it's the nature of self-expression.

An excellent and frank discussion. Thank you. I will pass this on to my photography students for them to chew on.
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up