Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Newbie Question on White Balance  (Read 1995 times)

Robert Boire

• www.robertboire.ca
Newbie Question on White Balance
« on: December 06, 2011, 12:24:24 pm »

Hello,

The LR user manual on the White Balance Selector tool says to select an area that is "neutral light gray". Easier said then done. I have seen some places say (can't remember where) that one can select "neutral" white or black. So in this context, is there an objective definition of neutral?

Is it simply an area where the RGB values are equal (or nearly so)?

thanks

Guillermo Luijk

• http://www.guillermoluijk.com
Re: Newbie Question on White Balance
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2011, 12:28:08 pm »

It is an area that looked gray (neutral) to the observer in the real scene.

Robert Boire

• www.robertboire.ca
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2011, 01:22:01 pm »

Thank you, but I guess this does not really tell me anything. In some photos there are many shades of grey and I have noticed that the effect can vary a lot depending on which grey is selected.

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2011, 01:43:06 pm »

Is it simply an area where the RGB values are equal (or nearly so)?

Yeah, pretty much. The ideal is a light neutral non-clipping white. You can use a ColorChecker card or other neutral reference. The final decision is up to you...and I tend to do white balance visually unless the shot calls for a higher degree of accuracy.

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2011, 02:06:15 pm »

The reason LR suggests a "neutral light grey" is to avoid users choosing an area that is pure white. White balance doesn't work on something that is pure white (100% in all three channels) and works less consistently with high near-white values (e.g. above 92 to 95% in any channel - there is less "play" in colour shifts at those values").

The suggestion from the LR users guide should read "click on an area that you know should be light neutral grey". If it is already truly neutral (equal values in each channel) then the WB tool won't change it.

The idea is by clicking on the value that you know should be neutral, the WB tool simply corrects the whole photograph based on the selected value. Whatever you click on, LR will try to make it neutral, so you must be very careful about exactly where you click (try clicking on a bright red or solid green and see what happens!!)

For example, say you have a group of three people and one person is wearing a white t-shirt. If you click on what you think is a light grey area of that t-shirt (not a clipped white highlight), you may end up with an incorrect white balance if, for example, the person beside is wearing a red t-shirt - that red top might cast some red into the light grey of the t-shirt throwing off what you think is neutral grey. I know it may sound far fetched, but it applies to many things that we think may be neutral grey like tree bark ,made greenish due to light passing through leaves, and roadways that may be reflecting a small amount of blue from the sky.

The tried and true method for exact white balance is to shoot one frame with a grey card or, better yet, a white card that does not become clipped. then use the WB tool on what you know, for sure, is neutral - the card. If that's not handy, then make sure you are using the WB tool on something that you definitely want to be neutral in colour.

Lastly, if you are shooting nature and outdoor shots, perfectly exact colour balance isn't necessary and often, it's not favourable in dramatic lighting. I usually eye-ball it depending on the mood of the scene, the sun angle and what I am photographing. Certainly if my scene is largely green (a wall of bulrushes or a large area of lawn) then perhaps some WB is necessary (in the opposite colour direction) to compensate for a slightly incorrect value from the camera. More often than not, WB is not too big a factor except where clients expect an exact colour - in that case, use a grey/white card - or when shooting under difficult lighting (e.g. fluorescent or incandescent bulbs).

Of course, if you have two different light sources - incandescent bulbs in a room partially lit by light from a window - then you have a doubly difficult (near impossible) WB problem!
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

NikoJorj

• http://nikojorj.free.fr/
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2011, 04:33:25 pm »

In some photos there are many shades of grey and I have noticed that the effect can vary a lot depending on which grey is selected.
Unless these shades of gray are those of a colorchecker, there are many chances they're not perfectly neutral, and maybe far from that : white shirts may be too blue, the white of an eye can be reddened with blood vessels...Alas, we don't live in a colorimetrically perfect world. So eyeballing it makes perhaps more sense. ;)
Nicolas from Grenoble
A small gallery
Pages: [1]   Go Up