Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is expose to the right ever wrong?  (Read 21185 times)

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: Is expose to the right ever wrong?
« Reply #60 on: December 26, 2011, 04:43:00 pm »

Which is something you need to consider doing regardless of whether or not you use ETTR...if you want max image quality, photographers need to exercise proper technique on a whole host of technical issues...ETTR is simply one factor in a range of factors to deploy. But claiming it has little or no benefit is short changing your arsenal for no good reason.

Exactly.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #61 on: December 26, 2011, 04:47:21 pm »

It does go without saying, unless you are in a forum discussion about ETTR when some have to come up with reasons it is not going to work well. But you and I both know that we are not always in ideal conditions. No one in their right mind would invoke motion blur when not wanted just to provide more photons to the sensor! IF the conditions can be met, using ETTR, a Tripod, Mirror lock up, the best lens etc will produce the best (better) data than not using these techniques. And as image creators who understand the processes, I can’t see why we’d ignore better quality data if we can produce it. But there are all kinds of situations where I can’t use a tripod, or lock the mirror, or even ETTR to get an acceptable if not idelized data.

Yes of course - the key point in the context of this thread being that having conditions where ETTR can't be used to advantage isn't a valid argument for asserting that it shouldn't be used altogether or only under unreasonably limited conditions.

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #62 on: December 26, 2011, 05:49:25 pm »

The paper that is referenced by Craig is a bit of a problem in that it deals with the direct cause of flare by extreme lighting conditions (mostly backlit) which any photographer who has captured images in nature with strong back lighting realizes how bad flare can get and how difficult it can be to adequately deal with it.  I'm old enough to remember the old Kodak leaflets that accompanied their film that noted best images can be produced with the direct light source in back of the photographer.  As others have pointed out the extreme case does not prove generally applicable nor does it invalidate ETTR.  ETTR is extremely valuable as long as we understand how to apply it and what the limitations are.  In the end the laws of physics are immutable (the confirmation of the pending discovery of the Higgs boson not withstanding).

K.C.

« Reply #63 on: December 27, 2011, 01:49:26 am »

Yes of course - the key point in the context of this thread being that having conditions where ETTR can't be used to advantage isn't a valid argument for asserting that it shouldn't be used altogether or only under unreasonably limited conditions.

A point that was understood by many of us before the last 3 pages of contentious discourse.

I wonder some times if the OP has any idea what they're in for when asking seemingly innocent questions.

Sheesh.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #64 on: December 27, 2011, 08:28:50 am »

A point that was understood by many of us before the last 3 pages of contentious discourse.

I wonder some times if the OP has any idea what they're in for when asking seemingly innocent questions.

Sheesh.

Well, if you're the anonymous self-appointed keyboard warrior representing all those who got the point three pages ago, let me simply apologize here and now for boring you all - especially as I suggested many posts back that this discussion had run its course; my remark was directed at those who obviously don't get it or don't agree. Others are of course most welcome to ignore it.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up