Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: New Discrimination  (Read 10756 times)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
New Discrimination
« on: December 06, 2011, 02:23:23 am »

Just when you thought for a brief moment that stupidity is not infinite after all, there will always be someone to prove you wrong: DSLRs banned
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 11:19:53 pm by Slobodan Blagojevic »

Rob C

Re: New Discrimination
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2011, 04:25:22 am »

Just when you thought for a brief moment that stupidity is not infinitesimal after all, there will always be someone to prove you wrong: DSLRs banned

Clever marketing, Leica!

Rob C

Gary Brown

Re: “Some DSLRs are big”
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2011, 12:38:26 pm »

There's another item here with quotes from a spokesperson trying (not particularly successfully) to explain it: "Tight schedule" forced ban on DSLRs, says London Transport Museum.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2011, 05:29:22 pm »

They might have granted exclusive coverage rights to a photography studio who demanded exclusivity?

Cheers,
Bernard

Brian Hirschfeld

• Brian Hirschfeld Photography
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2011, 06:16:42 pm »

Clever marketing, Leica!

Rob C

Hehe that made me chuckle,
www.brianhirschfeldphotography.com / www.flickr.com/brianhirschfeldphotography
---------------------------------------------------------------
Leica / Nikon / Hasselblad / Mamiya ~ Proud IQ180 owner

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2011, 07:47:41 pm »

That's pretty typical. Many tourist attractions limit the use of "professional" gear, not always limited to just tripods. Any "pro-looking" gear marks you as a pro, and they expect you to either pay for a property release or at least a permit, and/or to waste their precious time by actually taking time to take your photos.

But it does sound like as enlightened as the (de facto) ban on "assault" rifles in the US - but let's not belabor that point further.

Yet another reason to move to MFT :)

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2011, 05:41:47 am »

They might have granted exclusive coverage rights to a photography studio who demanded exclusivity?
No.
London Underground are VERY protective of their IP, in particular the underground logo. They also try to tightly control what images of the system are allowed to be published.
It's a combination of concerns, including terrorism, security, commercial interests and limiting unauthorised filming.
Photography is banned(only allowed by prior permission) within the system as a whole. Although many tourists get away with quick grabbed shots, try and take anything more considered and you're very likely to be stopped by their staff within a minute or two as every area is rigorously watched by CCTV.

Curious that they should pick on DSLRs at Aldwych as it's been so widely used before for filming and photography in the past. I'd guess it's just trying to keep people moving to allow the most people through the station whilst it's open to the public(it's not usually as it's been closed for many years), a few photographers stopping to take photos seriously can slow throughput down a lot.
Overall it's just another annoyance, but it's more easily justified than say the ban on any photography in other major buildings eg St Pauls cathedral

dmerger

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2011, 12:27:07 pm »

every area is rigorously watched by CCTV.

Irony?  Hypocrisy?  Or just business as usual for most governments?  ::)
Dean Erger

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2011, 12:37:58 pm »

For an amusing follow-up see this

DennisWilliams

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2011, 03:34:52 pm »

Why on earth would you consider this discrimination?  As if  photographers are some protected class. Amateur photographers at that since a pro would simply get a permit.

It's controlled property and they don't want to deal with every joe with 24fps and auto focus jamming up the works and the easiest and most efficient response from their perspective is to ban DSLRs.  Makes perfect sense to me.

Another option I see regularly is to ban cameras with interchangeable lenses but that requires more training to enforce.  That's when a Fuji GW670lll comes in handy. Learn the rules. Play by the rules. Win the game and take week ends off.   ;D

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2011, 04:27:24 pm »

Why on earth would you consider this discrimination?...

Discrimination against DSLRs vs. SLRs vs. rangefinders vs. a bunch of other acronyms (EVIL, CSC, etc.), which can equally easily have either a "high-quality sensor" or "high resolution" or both. Besides, the title is tongue-in-cheek.

But, since it makes perfect sense for you, what "high-quality sensors" or "high resolution" have to do with "jamming up the works"!?

Gary Brown

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2011, 04:59:00 pm »

What do "high-quality sensors" or "high resolution" have to do with "jamming up the works"!?

Perhaps they theorize that big, high-resolution sensors capture more photons than smaller cameras, causing the room to darken and jamming up the works when people can't see where they're going.

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2011, 05:11:25 pm »

Why on earth would you consider this discrimination?  As if  photographers are some protected class.

Photographers aren't a protected class. All people should be protected from capricious and pointless rules meant to protect us from the latest pedoph.. I mean Sasquat... or was it Nessi... naah I think it was terrorists this time around.

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2011, 10:53:40 pm »

Just when you thought for a brief moment that stupidity is not infinitesimal after all, there will always be someone to prove you wrong: DSLRs banned
Funny, Iran has exactly the same limitations.
----------------------------------------------
http://www.BangkokImages.com

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2011, 11:55:25 pm »

For an amusing follow-up see this
That makes at least as much sense as the original sign.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2011, 08:03:45 am »

It's just the usual bunch of bureaucrats doing their ignorant thing. It's pretty obvious they haven't a clue about cameras or photography.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Rob C

« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2011, 01:38:44 pm »

Yes, I know it's fashionable on this forum to attack any sign of authority or of restriction on photograhy, but doesn't it occur to anyone that large cameras and tripods, especially tripods, can be a damned nuisance in various instances, the confines of a tube station being one such. I assume we are talking about an Underground stop? I'm not terribly au fait with London, going there only when unavoidable.

No point in discussing security from a terrorist point of view - already know there are a zillion replies trundled out in such cases, some as spurious as some of the objections, in fact. Simply different and irreconcilable opinions. Anyway, since the authorities in question own the sites I'd have imagined they had some rights in the matter, but obviously not...

;-)

Rob C

Steve Weldon

• Bangkok Images
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2011, 01:43:36 pm »

Discrimination against DSLRs vs. SLRs vs. rangefinders vs. a bunch of other acronyms (EVIL, CSC, etc.), which can equally easily have either a "high-quality sensor" or "high resolution" or both. Besides, the title is tongue-in-cheek.

But, since it makes perfect sense for you, what "high-quality sensors" or "high resolution" have to do with "jamming up the works"!?

Can an inanimate object really be discriminated against?   ???   
----------------------------------------------
http://www.BangkokImages.com

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2011, 01:54:36 pm »

Can an inanimate object really be discriminated against?   ???   

From a dictionary:

"make an unjust or prejudicial distinction in the treatment of different categories of people or things"

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2011, 01:57:54 pm »

... but doesn't it occur to anyone that large cameras and tripods, especially tripods, can be a damned nuisance...

Rob, where did you find any mention of "large cameras" or "tripods" in the sign in question?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up