Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sensor cleaning experience?  (Read 2076 times)

louoates

• Lou Oates Photography
Sensor cleaning experience?
« on: December 05, 2011, 07:56:32 pm »

I recently paid $45 to have the sensor in my Canon Mark III 1ds cleaned. After two years or so it had probably a few hundred dust spots that were very evident at 100%, especially in the skies and in large light colored areas, and had to be cloned out every time. I was very pleased with the job they did (Tempe Camera, in Tempe, AZ) and sent them an email saying so. I included a new sky shot with the few tiny dust spots highlighted that I could still find: 2 at 100%, and 2 more at 200%.
   Just wondering if that seems like a reasonable price for that service. I got the camera back the next day. I'm afraid to do any tinkering with anything inside my camera myself.
   I think the auto-clean feature is working okay but just can't cope with the use (or misuse) I put it through.

Peter McLennan

Re: Sensor cleaning experience?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2011, 12:37:46 pm »

Following a month-long desert shoot, both cameras' sensors were filthy.  I'd never cleaned them myself - in fact, they'd never been cleaned since new. 

I ordered a set of "Sensor Swabs" and "Eclipse" cleaning solution and followed the directions.  It took me two attempts for each sensor, but now they're both spotless.

Well worth the investment in time and money.

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2011, 06:06:32 pm »

Lou, When you switch to digital, one of the things you need to learn early on is how to clean a sensor. There are three cleaning levels you need to learn:

First is the blower: emphatically not a motorized or pressurized blower, but a more recent version of what we used to call an ear syringe. Every interchangeable lens digital I've had has a way to open the shutter and expose the sensor. A few puffs with a blower, being very careful to  keep the nose of the syringe away from the sensor, usually will remove the usual random dust.

Second, if the blower doesn't do the job you try a brush. The Arctic Butterfly is a good choice. Ideally you don't actually contact the surface of the sensor with the brush. Instead you charge the brush with static electricity by twirling it or by some other means and then get the bristles close enough to the sensor that the dust jumps from sensor to brush. In practice you usually contact the sensor's filter since there's no way to do this as precisely as you'd like. This procedure can be quite effective.

Finally, if neither blower nor brush does the job you first use the blower to get rid of hard dust -- the kind that can scratch the filter over the sensor -- and then do a wet cleaning. Instead of going into the details about that I'll give you a reference that goes into detail about all these approaches: http://www.cleaningdigitalcameras.com/methods.html.

If you check your sensor regularly and clean when you need to it shouldn't be necessary to take the body to a shop to get the job done. Furthermore, if you're off in the boonies when the sensor needs to be cleaned you're out of luck if you don't know how to do it yourself.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

louoates

• Lou Oates Photography
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2011, 08:00:10 pm »

Thanks all. I'll look into it further and perhaps summon up the courage to try it myself.

Corvus

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2011, 07:07:23 am »

I use a women's blush brush. Very very fine and soft and delicate. Very effective for attracting dust.
Expensive though - a high quality French made one cost me over 30 bucks.
I lock up the mirror every two weeks or so and give the sensor a gentle touch up with the brush and that's all the camera has ever needed.
Pages: [1]   Go Up