Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Unwanted tint on Black and White Print  (Read 3823 times)

aross007

Unwanted tint on Black and White Print
« on: December 05, 2011, 03:56:22 pm »

I expect that this will be a head slapper when someone points out what I am doing wrong, but I can't figure it out.  I'm trying to print in black and white, and every print comes out with a very strong orange/red tint, unless I tell the printer to only use black ink, which I didn't think was what I should do.  I'm using lightroom 3, epson 4000 printer, Enhanced Matte Paper, with the Epson ICC profiles.  The conversion looks gray on the screen,  and when I go to Photoshop 5 to look at the proof, it shows as having a green cast????

Mark me as completely baffled,

Alan

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
Re: Unwanted tint on Black and White Print
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2011, 07:13:36 pm »

All I can suggest is the usual list of culprits that I'm sure you have already considered:
  • paper profile correctly selected in LR Print Job palette;
  • paper profile is "up-to-date" or most recent from the manufacturer for your printer;
  • color management is turned off in the printer driver

Orange/red tint or colour cast is often the result of double profiling (profile by LR is being reprofiled by the printer if Color Matching/management is not turned off.
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

aross007

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2011, 12:33:32 am »

Update:
 No, I didn't have printer color management turned on.  (except for trying to see if it helped - it didn't.)
The icc profiles are the latest available from Epson, which means they are about 6 years old, same as the printer. (Does anybody know where to find profiles for the new Epson signature papers for the 4000?)
What I did have was split toning enabled.  I had not tried to do any split toning, so I hadn't touched any of the sliders in that block, but the prints on matte paper looked like the saturation sliders were up about 10 units.  I still think I see some tint, but it is much better with split toning disabled. 

Alan

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2011, 02:12:26 pm »

The mystery continues... I'm curious about what you mean by "Split Toning was enabled"? It only makes a difference if it is set to something other than zero for one of more of the values. Toggling the Split Toning palette to the "open" state should not change anything if all the values are still zero. It really is a mystery.
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

aross007

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2011, 09:43:35 pm »

Lux,

I agree - it should not make a difference, but it does?????

Alan
Pages: [1]   Go Up