Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Snow Line  (Read 2223 times)

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
Snow Line
« on: December 05, 2011, 03:54:41 pm »

Taken yesterday afternoon - sorry about the copyright logo, but I've had to copy this from my website, as I can't access my main computer at the moment.

Dave

popnfresh

Re: Snow Line
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2011, 12:03:16 pm »

It's an interesting photograph (apart from the logo). I assume this is a composite.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 02:19:21 pm by popnfresh »

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2011, 09:46:35 am »

Gorgeous scene, Dave. Oh to be on Skye again!

I'm working on a corrected monitor and two things strike me:
  • everything seems cooler than I might otherwise expect in these conditions. I realise it's early morning in late autumn and the Cuillins are some distance away, but a little warmth might help;
  • the photograph appears darker than what it could be; e.g. the highlights don't quite appear to be near white and the ground cover surrounding the pond has lost some detail
What about increasing the Fill Light (at least that's what it's called in Lightroom), just to inject a little more detail in the shadows.

Please keep the photos coming - they are great advertisements for photographing on Skye!
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

popnfresh

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2011, 11:22:22 am »

the photograph appears darker than what it could be; e.g. the highlights don't quite appear to be near white and the ground cover surrounding the pond has lost some detail[/li][/list]

I also noticed the feathering around the edges of the pond, which is one reason why I asked if this is a composite image. Also the reflection in the water and the color palette seem a bit off. To my eyes the whole thing looks like it was assembled from two or three shots.

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2011, 02:43:01 pm »

I also noticed the feathering around the edges of the pond, which is one reason why I asked if this is a composite image. Also the reflection in the water and the color palette seem a bit off. To my eyes the whole thing looks like it was assembled from two or three shots.

Hi Pop,

No, with hand on my heart, I can honestly say that this image is based on a single photograph - yes I have worked on it in PS and as you may already know, I am not against compositing or blending images, or doing any other work to get the look I desire and would be happy to admit to that. But this image was shot as a single frame using the daylight setting to purposefully enhance the blue/cold tones, I have then selectively warmed up and lightened (but only a bit) the heather/grass in places. If the detail looks a little soft or of a different hue in the pond (called Lochs around here BTW), I can only assume that was because it was starting to freeze over and the water becoming opaque, hence the reason I am assuming, it was mirror like even though it was windy at the time. I even went back a little later to see if there was going to be any chance of a sunset and some colour in the sky, but there wasn't and by then the loch was now totally frozen over and the composition had gone. I suppose it just proves the old adage that you just have to be in the right place at the right time, and as it happens, there was only me and my camera and not another soul in sight.

Needless to say I will be going back to this spot many times, as it only about 12 miles from where I now live.

Here is another image [SEE BELOW] taken again as a single shot, from about a mile further down the same road of the image shown above and taken about an hour earlier. I think this one works better in B&W for some reason, and as you can see it really was quite windy.

Hi Lux, glad you like what I am doing and it brings back happy memories for you, maybe you should treat yourself to week up here with me...?  It's all explained on the website.

all the best

Dave

popnfresh

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2011, 02:59:03 pm »

Hi Pop,

No, with hand on my heart, I can honestly say that this image is based on a single photograph - yes I have worked on it in PS and as you may already know, I am not against compositing or blending images, or doing any other work to get the look I desire and would be happy to admit to that. But this image was shot as a single frame using the daylight setting to purposefully enhance the blue/cold tones, I have then selectively warmed up and lightened (but only a bit) the heather/grass in places. If the detail looks a little soft or of a different hue in the pond (called Lochs around here BTW), I can only assume that was because it was starting to freeze over and the water becoming opaque, hence the reason I am assuming, it was mirror like even though it was windy at the time. I even went back a little later to see if there was going to be any chance of a sunset and some colour in the sky, but there wasn't and by then the loch was now totally frozen over and the composition had gone. I suppose it just proves the old adage that you just have to be in the right place at the right time, and as it happens, there was only me and my camera and not another soul in sight.

Needless to say I will be going back to this spot many times, as it only about 12 miles from where I now live.

Here is another image [SEE BELOW] taken again as a single shot, from about a mile further down the same road of the image shown above and taken about an hour earlier. I think this one works better in B&W for some reason, and as you can see it really was quite windy.

Dave, thanks for clearing that up. My personal preference would have been to make that a B&W shot rather than play with the color balance selectively, which is why it looks somewhat disjointed to me and made me wonder if it's a composite. But, whatever. I do prefer this second shot in B&W.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 03:00:38 pm by popnfresh »
Pages: [1]   Go Up