Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LIFE  (Read 864 times)

Rob C

LIFE
« on: December 05, 2011, 02:16:04 pm »

Did anyone else get to see the programme on the LIFE photographers that was presented by Rankin?

Some of it was really interesting, and it was funny to see Rankin try to copy the ´kissing couple' in Times Square. There he was, with huge Leica and assistant and trying hard... not at all how the original must have happened. That's the second time I've seen him attempt to recreate other shooters' stuff on tv (recreations of Bailey's work, amongst others, and also of the Jane Russell Outlaw poster); not a good omen, in my mind, and I don't think it ever comes off, even for him.

A similar thought struck me watching the segment with Burk Uzzle and cowboys; again, big Leica, assistant and flash! Some Uzzle shots were shown (he had a film Leica) and they were excellent images...

I'm afraid that taking people out of their comfort zone isn't such a brilliant idea. However, not to seem too down on the matter, the overall feeling from the programme was positive, and I really do believe that it meant much more to Rankin than just business.

Rob C

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
Re: LIFE
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2011, 04:24:40 am »

Yes, an interesting programme.
Some of it was really interesting, and it was funny to see Rankin try to copy the ´kissing couple' in Times Square. There he was, with huge Leica and assistant and trying hard... not at all how the original must have happened.
That was a bit embarrassing to watch, the end results missed the mark completely.
A similar thought struck me watching the segment with Burk Uzzle and cowboys;
Similarly the end results looked terrible, available light(possibly with a tiny bit of fill) would have been so much better.
Pages: [1]   Go Up